Dept. Of Homeland Insecurity?

My Thai wife and I are heading off to the US for my first visit home in over a year and a half. We didn't have any trouble getting her a tourist visa, but the fellow at the US Embassy spent most of the interview time warning us about the reception that we would get from the Dept. of Homeland Security at the US Airport. He said that even though she had a valid visa, the DHS guys could decide that she was an overstay risk, or whatever, and not admit her to the country!

I'm not really worried, she speaks English quite well and we haven't had any problems with US or Thai officials so far, but has anyone had any recent experience traveling to the US with a tourist visa? I know the the DHS people are very rude and suspicious. I've always felt very unwelcome when returning to my own country, but I was wondering what experiences of non-US citizens have been.

Q1. Are you American? Or are you simply holding a passport that lets you use the visa waiver program?

Q2. I'm guessing since you say "we", that you'll be travelling together.

If you're not American, are married, and her surname in her passport is the same as yours (i.e. she changed it after you got married), I would imagine you'll have no problems as you can go up to the counter together. (Did this last year. Only problem was the computer system kept falling over, and we started to worry about missing our connecting flight. Never had an issue with the person processing our entry at all.) Also, as a foreign married couple, you're not a likely overstay risk.

If you are American, then you might have issues, simply because you'll be going to the counter separately (not sure if you're allowed to join the long queue, like I do with the wife at Heathrow). Also, a Thai married to an American is a far more likely overstay risk.

One thing to make sure - be absolutely certain to keep the exit card, and give it to the airline when you leave. If that piece of paper is lost, your wife could go down as an overstay in the computer... (You'd think if they're going to the hassle of tracking who leaves the country, they'd be more organised about it...)

Sorry - just noticed you saying you were going "home" - so assume you are American after all. - I would try and go with her up to the counter if you can. Otherwise, hang around until she gets to the counter so she can point at you if the guy asks where her husband is.

Edited by bkk_mike

Don't forget the "random" checks for almost every foreign national on a domestic flight  :o

yeah, me and my wife were taken aside to be specially searched before every flight in the US a couple of weeks ago. If you get these funny looking numbers on the top left hand corner of your boarding card, be prepared.

As to answer the OP's post. It really just depends. I have entered the US on an Aussie PP and had a tough time, though last time I entered, the guy was easy going, even though he asked me why I had travelled to the middle east.

A couple of times before that when travelling on a Thai PP, I was given a grilling the first time and then the next time I breezed though.

Best thing to do is have a firm idea of what you are doing/where you are going on the trip, and have your travel itinerary on you, contact numbers of all hotels/houses that you will be staying at, and not lie when answering questions.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes I am a US citizen and the fellow at the US Embassy did warn me that we WOULD be seperated upon arrival and that I would not be permitted to go through immigration with her.

I used to do a lot of one way flights on business, often purchasing the tickets at the last minute at the airport with cash (from my expense money). As you can imagine I was searched EVERY time I flew :o .

As I said before, we both know how to be polite and patient with pompous officials - either Thai or American. Quite frankly we haven't had any problems with Visa's, Work Permits, Banks, etc..., but I always do a lot of research (usually here!) and we always try to be overprepared.