Club Sandwiches: The Best And The Worst

Oneman

Far from home, surrounded by unfamiliar foods, a club sandwich is a consistently, reliable, light meal.

At any decent hotel, and most decent restaurants, anywhere in the Western world, club sandwich is on the menu.

I suggest that Chiangmai is on the edge of the Western world.

There sure are a lot of club sandwiches offered on a lot of menus in Chiangmai.

Even many Thai restaurants will offer a club sandwich as their sole concession to Western food.

But not all club sandwiches are created equal.

Where to find the best in Chiangmai?

And where to avoid the worst?

Perhaps avoiding the worst is most important.

My vote for the worst club sandwich in CM goes to the dining room at the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel.

The Imperial used to have excellent food -- far better than average for a hotel in its class.

I often enjoyed eating there.

But something changed.

Perhaps the head chef was replaced by a cost accountant in the kitchen.

The club sandwich I had there recently was made on cheap white bread -- small slices and pasty texture.

One piece of soggy, wilted lettuce, one slice of ersatz cheese, two scrawny slices of cheap ham.

A few bits of cold bacon sprinkled on top -- I suspect left-overs from the breakfast buffet -- but no bacon in the sandwich.

Instead of French fries, processed potato crisps that come in a can: "Pringles".

Excuse me, but I don't want to think any more about that awful sandwich.

Moving on from there:

One can get an acceptable club sandwich -- hidden among the Thai food on the menu -- at such well-known, Thai restaurants at Suan Pak near the airport, and Khun Mor near Nimmanhaemin.

Those aren't great -- not worth making any effort -- but if a Westerner is going to eat with Thais, and doesn't want yet another plate of rice, those club sandwiches will do nicely.

Now moving up:

So far in Thailand, I've found superb club sandwiches in only Bangkok.

Perhaps due to restaurant competition there.

But here in Chiangmai, so far, I've found two places with good club sandwiches.

Maybe, hopefully, there are others with better offerings.

One is Brix in the Montri Hotel at Thaepae Gate.

Reasonable amount of real chicken -- not a processed "loaf".

Decent ham slices, but nothing exceptional.

Freshly fried egg -- always warm -- not one that's been sitting behind the counter since breakfast.

Sometimes bacon -- not every time.

But Brix has decided to economize: so no French fries.

Instead, a small pile of shredded cabbage in the middle of the plate.

(Yes, I know, can order a side of French fries.)

Another reliable, club sandwich is at The Red Lion pub in the Night Bazaar.

Fresh whole wheat bread, lots of tasty ham, and honest cheese: Swiss/Emmentaler (I think).

And I liked the cucumber slices in the sandwich.

No French Fries there either, just a couple extra slices of tomato to fill up the empty space in the middle of the place.

And The Red Lion doesn't offer air conditioning.

I didn't order French fries on the side, but next time, I will.

If anyone else knows of the best, or the worst, of club sandwiches in Chiangmai, I hope you'll add to this list.

Worth going out of the way to eat, or worth avoiding, would be good to know.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

hi club sandwichfans,

good one @ JJ bakery 2-6 Ratchadamnoen Road Sriphum,

50200 Muang, Chiang Mai

p: 053 418090

very nice club sandwich, on their own baked bread, good filling, nice price

best one @ the hide away restaurant

very big portions , home baked or inhouse baked bread

a lot of meat portion almost to big to finish in one time

very goodvalue for money

The hideaway café& restaurant

140/93 Amornivet Village,

Chiang Mai - Hang Dong Rd.,

(053) 274521, 203744

enjoy your club sandwich

cliokchi

i'd give my vote for the club sandwich at Mad Dogs. and another vote for the one served at the Rajavej Hospital cafetaria (it is good!).

What is a club sandwich is it an english thing because never heard of it before in Australia.

club sandwich I see english men in the mens club drinking sherry, smoking cigars and eating these tiny little sandwichs. Grab a kangaroo wioe it's arse and slap it in between damper and that's a sandwich

:)

Grab a kangaroo wioe it's arse and slap it

I have no idea what this means, but it probably adds credence to the bestiality songs about Australians...

:D wipe it's arse mean cook it rare. Slap it between damper means put it between 2 slices of bread. You are not true blue or the roos are skipping the paddock

It was an American invention.......

OMG chips, cheese and bacon doesn't appear very healthy but I guess from the land of deep fried foods, hotdogs and burgers what else good to see you threw in a little lettuce for garnish that will balance out the meal. oh throw in a dash of tomaty. I feel a heart attack comming on just looking at it.

Sorry to those English folk I may have offended thinking it was an english thing.

Edited by moetownblues

Probably the thing I miss most about the US. Just like in the photo: wheat toast, crisp bacon, turkey, tomato, lettuce, no egg, no cucumber.

I.H.O.P. makes the world's best - served with hot, crisp fries, and the bottomless carafe of coffee.

Once it was even served by a young Thai lady. A brief glimpse of paradise.

The World Health Organization speaks of a global obesity problem:

From the WHO website

Obesity and overweight

Facts

Globally, there are more than 1 billion overweight adults, at least 300 million of them obese.

Also, just look around.

I don't think anyone is recommending club sandwiches for daily consumption.

Best on I've had in CM is at the Lanna Hospital cafeteria . . . used to look forward

to the visits with pregnant wife, and at only 50bht, a Bargain!

Worst one was also the cheapest and 32baht at a place near CM Uni.

2nd worst was at Wang Tan. Tamarind hotel is ok, but not worth the price differential Vs Lanna hospital!

David

The World Health Organization speaks of a global obesity problem:

From the WHO website Obesity and overweight

Facts

Globally, there are more than 1 billion overweight adults, at least 300 million of them obese.

And apparently, it's all McDonald's fault.   :)  

Every fat Thai or Chinese man is fat because they eat McDonald's. Fact. or so they say. Club Sandwiches can now be added to the list, apparently.  :D I only eat about 2 club Sandwiches a year, and never eat Burgers so at least now I know where the middle-aged spread came from. Cut them out and I'll be back to my fighting weight in no time.   :D

PS: The American's may have invented the Club Sandwich but the Earl of Sandwich played his part.

Edited by KevinHunt

looking at that pic it explains the American obesity problem the world health organisation speaks of. Club sandwiches, hotdogs, hamburgers deep fried chicken and fries the staple diet of America.

I don't think Aussies can afford to be smug, they're right up there in the obesity stakes

Home > Overweight and Obesity in Australia

Overweight and Obesity in Australia

The extract below is from an Australian Gov't press release:

Adults

For the first time since 1995 the 2007-08 National Health Survey (NHS) has measured the height, weight, hip and waist circumference of respondents aged 5 years or more.

Results from this survey reveal that in 2007-08, 61.4% of the Australian population are either overweight or obese1.

* 42.1% of adult males and 30.9% of adult females were classified as overweight (Body Mass Index between 25.0 and 30.0 kg/m2).

* 25.6% of males and 24% of females were classified as obese (Body Mass Index > 30.0 kg/m2).

The Australian Government is currently planning the implementation of an ongoing National Health Risk Survey Program. The National Health Risk Survey (HRS) will collect nutrition, physical activity, physical measurement and chronic disease risk factor data in the Australian population. The first HRS is expected to commence in mid 2010 and will focus on Australian adults.

looking at that pic it explains the American obesity problem the world health organisation speaks of. Club sandwiches, hotdogs, hamburgers deep fried chicken and fries the staple diet of America.

I don't think Aussies can afford to be smug, they're right up there in the obesity stakes

Home > Overweight and Obesity in Australia

Overweight and Obesity in Australia

The extract below is from an Australian Gov't press release:

Adults

For the first time since 1995 the 2007-08 National Health Survey (NHS) has measured the height, weight, hip and waist circumference of respondents aged 5 years or more.

Results from this survey reveal that in 2007-08, 61.4% of the Australian population are either overweight or obese1.

* 42.1% of adult males and 30.9% of adult females were classified as overweight (Body Mass Index between 25.0 and 30.0 kg/m2).

* 25.6% of males and 24% of females were classified as obese (Body Mass Index > 30.0 kg/m2).

The Australian Government is currently planning the implementation of an ongoing National Health Risk Survey Program. The National Health Risk Survey (HRS) will collect nutrition, physical activity, physical measurement and chronic disease risk factor data in the Australian population. The first HRS is expected to commence in mid 2010 and will focus on Australian adults.

Yes all those American fast food giants like Hungry Jacks, KFC and Mcdonalds springing up everywhere doesn't help things. Aussies being slowly poisoned by the yanks. American food is digusting and tastes foul. Thai food wins hands down

Yes all those American fast food giants like Hungry Jacks, KFC and Mcdonalds springing up everywhere doesn't help things. Aussies being slowly poisoned by the yanks. American food is digusting and tastes foul. Thai food wins hands down

if you really don't like the Americans for their food or if you feel they are too obese or for whatever reason, go tell it straight to their faces. no need to let it all out on a forum.

The Ban Thai hotel made a pretty good Club house sandwich for me the other evening, and my friends and I sat outside next to a little bonfire on their patio. It was a pleasant experience. To me, the company I keep is more important than the food I eat. If I have a pleasant surroundings and good friends with whom I can talk to without competing with a boom-box sound system blaring in my ear, then I'm happy. The Ban Thai hotel is on Whing Phing road (south side of town) and apparently have an excellent smoking lounge for those that enjoy good cigars... that are on sale in the Hotel.

I don't know about "the best Sandwiches in CMX" as it turns out to be a simple... red lions ...ah'well, who cares..nice try!

But to set the record straight about much of the nonsense published here, an excerpt from the wikipedia regarding this invention" nobody seems to have invented as such, it's one of the things that introduced itself out of necessity:

the concept of a sandwich (as opposed to a wrap) is more recent. During the Middle Ages, thick slabs of coarse and usually stale bread, called "trenchers", were used as plates. After a meal, the food-soaked trencher was fed to a dog or to beggars, or eaten by the diner. Trenchers were the harbingers of open-face sandwiches.[3] The immediate cultural precursor with a direct connection to the English sandwich was to be found in the Netherlands of the 17th century, where the naturalist John Ray observed[4] that in the taverns beef hung from the rafters "which they cut into thin slices and eat with bread and butter laying the slices upon the butter"— explanatory specifications that reveal the Dutch belegde broodje was as yet unfamiliar in England.

If it was initially perceived as food men shared while gaming and drinking at night, the sandwich slowly began appearing in polite society as a late-night meal among the aristocracy. The sandwich's popularity in Spain and England increased dramatically during the 19th century, when the rise of an industrial society and the working classes made fast, portable, and inexpensive meals essential.

It was at the same time that the sandwich finally began to appear outside of Europe. In the United States, the sandwich was first promoted as an elaborate meal at supper.

Ethymology:

The first written usage of the English word appeared in Edward Gibbon's journal, in longhand, referring to "bits of cold meat" as a 'Sandwich'. It was named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, an 18th-century English aristocrat, although he was neither the inventor nor sustainer of the food. It is said that he ordered his valet to bring him meat tucked between two pieces of bread, and because Montagu also happened to be the Fourth Earl of Sandwich, others began to order "the same as Sandwich!" It is said that Lord Sandwich was fond of this form of food because it allowed him to continue playing cards, particularly cribbage, while eating without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands.

It's similiar what the Paninni and Tramezzino is to the Italians, the Bocadillo to the Spaniards, the Croque-monsieur to the French, the Bagle, Pastrami on Rye .... the Shawarma, the follow up inventions of nowadays called "wraps" - name it... easy food that can be consumed without the necessity to sit down at a table and the need of crockery and cutlery.

And certainly NOT responsible for the obesity of the people who simply can't control their intake, stuffing themselves like a polish goose for Christmas!

I don't know about "the best Sandwiches in CMX" as it turns out to be a simple... red lions ...ah'well, who cares..nice try!

But to set the record straight about much of the nonsense published here, an excerpt from the wikipedia regarding this invention" nobody seems to have invented as such, it's one of the things that introduced itself out of necessity:

the concept of a sandwich (as opposed to a wrap) is more recent. During the Middle Ages, thick slabs of coarse and usually stale bread, called "trenchers", were used as plates. After a meal, the food-soaked trencher was fed to a dog or to beggars, or eaten by the diner. Trenchers were the harbingers of open-face sandwiches.[3] The immediate cultural precursor with a direct connection to the English sandwich was to be found in the Netherlands of the 17th century, where the naturalist John Ray observed[4] that in the taverns beef hung from the rafters "which they cut into thin slices and eat with bread and butter laying the slices upon the butter"— explanatory specifications that reveal the Dutch belegde broodje was as yet unfamiliar in England.

If it was initially perceived as food men shared while gaming and drinking at night, the sandwich slowly began appearing in polite society as a late-night meal among the aristocracy. The sandwich's popularity in Spain and England increased dramatically during the 19th century, when the rise of an industrial society and the working classes made fast, portable, and inexpensive meals essential.

It was at the same time that the sandwich finally began to appear outside of Europe. In the United States, the sandwich was first promoted as an elaborate meal at supper.

Ethymology:

The first written usage of the English word appeared in Edward Gibbon's journal, in longhand, referring to "bits of cold meat" as a 'Sandwich'. It was named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, an 18th-century English aristocrat, although he was neither the inventor nor sustainer of the food. It is said that he ordered his valet to bring him meat tucked between two pieces of bread, and because Montagu also happened to be the Fourth Earl of Sandwich, others began to order "the same as Sandwich!" It is said that Lord Sandwich was fond of this form of food because it allowed him to continue playing cards, particularly cribbage, while eating without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands.

It's similiar what the Paninni and Tramezzino is to the Italians, the Bocadillo to the Spaniards, the Croque-monsieur to the French, the Bagle, Pastrami on Rye .... the Shawarma, the follow up inventions of nowadays called "wraps" - name it... easy food that can be consumed without the necessity to sit down at a table and the need of crockery and cutlery.

And certainly NOT responsible for the obesity of the people who simply can't control their intake, stuffing themselves like a polish goose for Christmas!

We're talking about a specific sandwich, the club sandwich, so if you're going to reference wikipedia:

A club sandwich, also called a clubhouse sandwich or double-decker, is a sandwich with two layers of fillings between 3 slices of bread. It is often cut into quarters and held together by cocktail sticks. To order a club sandwich without the third piece of bread you would ask the waiter to "hold the club".

The traditional club ingredients are turkey on the bottom layer, and bacon, lettuce, and tomato on the top (it is sometimes called the "turkey club"). Other club sandwich variations generally vary the bottom layer, for example a "chicken club" or a "roast beef club." As with a BLT sandwich, the club sandwich is usually served on toasted bread, but untoasted bread can be used. Mayonnaise is a common condiment, but honey mustard is sometimes used[citation needed]. Some versions also contain ham. Cheese is often added to the sandwich as well, usually Swiss, American, or Cheddar.

It is thought that the club sandwich was invented in an exclusive Saratoga Springs, New York, gambling club in the late 19th century by a maverick line cook named Danny Mears.[1]

The sandwich has appeared on US restaurant menus since 1899,[2] if not earlier.

Edited by calibanjr.

I guess we have all made the mistake of writing some truly idiotic things. moetownblues, join the club.