Now You Can Apply For Offshore Bank Account Online

George,

A few years ago I attempted to open an HSBC account in Jersey and got the run around with them over the proof of address I supplied in Thailand ie my name was in English and address in Thai and this wasnt accepted by them, citing I had to get everything in the Thai languge translater and noterised, suffice to say I went with another international bank for my "Premier" account who didnt have any issues with "languge" problems.

Please understand this is not having a go at a sponser.

There are numerous reasons why I switched HSBC Premier to Standard Chartered in Singapore. Have a look at some Singapore forums.

In regards customer service and investment options HSBC is far behind...

I agree....didnt go with Standard Charter in Singapore, but with Citibank international personal banking

HSBC is very user friendly for those who are new to the concept of offshore banking, or just require a simple to use offshore account.

I used to have an account with them myself.

Tried to open another one with them recently, but their left arm didnt know what their right arm was doing to i told them to take a running jump.

But overall, they do what it says on the tin. Slowly, expensively but they do it.

• 2 weeks later...
George,

A few years ago I attempted to open an HSBC account in Jersey and got the run around with them over the proof of address I supplied in Thailand ie my name was in English and address in Thai and this wasnt accepted by them, citing I had to get everything in the Thai languge translater and noterised, suffice to say I went with another international bank for my "Premier" account who didnt have any issues with "languge" problems.

Please understand this is not having a go at a sponser.

I've had HSBC accts in the Arab Gulf, Jersey and now in HK. The Jersey exp. was bad for me so I closed it and opened an HSBC Vantage acct. in HK. I've never been to Jersey or HK, I did all of this while in the Gulf, online and/or through my HSBC branch where I was living at the time.

HSBC banks share only a couple of things between them: the name and logo mostly. They operate very differently (and independently) from one another. In the Gulf they are highly restrictive and in HK quite the opposite.

Here's some of the things I can do with my Vantage acct. I can buy / sell 13 major currencies and gold. If I had the authorization (I never asked for it) I could buy/sell on the Hang Seng market. Bank charges (commisiions) are very reasonable. All of this can be done online. As far as I'm concerned, I can only say good things about HSBC HK. I don't think such transactions can be outside of HK and certainly not at HSBC branches outside HK where local banking practices are far more restrictive.

The only pre-requisite to opening such on acct. from overseas was that I have an existing HSBC acct. where I lived.

D

Who would want to open an online saver account with hsbc at 0.75% interest when they can open one with Alliance & Leicester who are paying 2.75% ?

any financial institution which pays that kind of interest (depending of course on maturity) should be looked at with great distrust as it has no access to refinancing with the Bank of England at less than 0.5%!

Who would want to open an online saver account with hsbc at 0.75% interest when they can open one with Alliance & Leicester who are paying 2.75% ?

any financial institution which pays that kind of interest (depending of course on maturity) should be looked at with great distrust as it has no access to refinancing with the Bank of England at less than 0.5%!

You referring to HSBC or ALIL or both?

I am a customer of both Standard Chartered and HSBC Premier. The service from Standard Chartered in Singapore is excellent and they are very good as far as investment and special deposit products are concerned but their service in Thailand is next to useless. On the other hand in my opinion HSBC provide a retail service in Thailand far superior to any Thai Bank and the fact that you can transfer funds between HSBC accounts in any country free of all charges is a significant benefit. It should also be noted that Jersey were offerring 2.7% interest on a Stg. fixed deposit recently.

There are numerous reasons why I switched HSBC Premier to Standard Chartered in Singapore. Have a look at some Singapore forums.

In regards customer service and investment options HSBC is far behind...