Beggars Face Deportation By Thailand

churchill

Beggars face deportation by Thailand

THAI authorities are in the process of deporting more than 500 Cambodian beggars rounded up in Bangkok last week, according to a rights group based in Thailand.

The Cambodian migrants were detained by Bangkok police and sent to a detention centre before gradually being repatriated to Cambodia, said Jackie Pollack of the Mekong Migration Network (MMN), a network of 35 civil society organisations in the Greater Mekong Sub-Region.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/201...y-thailand.html

2010-01-21

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Sh-t man!!

What are the scamming no good two bob Sukhumvit constabulary going to do now without their tea money??

All those poor Cambodian mine victims were raking it in for the BiB

I guess they'll step up their "keep Sukhumwit tidy" campaign and arrest more farang for phantom cigarette dropping....

Oh dear, are we going to recycle all that "why not the Africans/Brits/Ozzies/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis/Yanks/Russians, etc.?" cr_p again? Hard to beleive that they would actually select beggars by race in these cracks-up, errrr...I mean -downs. (,)

You almost had that in alphabetical order. But kind of screwed it up in the middle and end :)

Hard to beleive that they would actually select beggars by race in these cracks-up, errrr...I mean -downs. (,)

They've done studies on beggars in Bangkok before, the large majority of them are Cambodian. If you go to Cambodia you can see why. Unfortunately I have feeling most will just be back within a week or two.

I thought the Cambodian beggars were the result of the new Financial adviser to that country. Another source of income cut off, see what happens when you upset some people.

Will someone tell the Thai authorities that they have missed some at On Nut BTS they are kids posing as students raising money for their school the only problems are their crap attempts at a school uniform , the fact that they speak Cambodian and that they are about 10 years old and out at 9pm begging doesnt stop some Thais from giving them money though...suckers!!!!!!!!!!!

When we consider beggers on the street, one hopes they look at deporting some from our own Country as well. These farang operate on a circuit targeting tourists and farang that live here.

You will find them at Railway Stations, Bus Stations and Supermarkets like Big C and Tesco.

The Ex Pats and tourists have been targeted in Phrae, by a Gentleman claiming to come from Austria or Switzerland,(although his accent is from the Stuttgart region of Germany).

Always the same story, states he lives in Pattaya and claims to have been robbed, asks for Money to help him out as his friend will arrive in 2 days with some money to get him home. He is quite convincing and the Ex-Pats do not like to see fellow farang in trouble like this, (but visiting Phrae for the second time with the same story was a mistake for him)

Description - 1 metre 80 tall, no teeth apart from 1 tooth either side, wears glasses and dresses quite well, has a drink problem as always smells of whisky.

When we see a Ex-Pat in trouble, we always try to help, but people like this need to be deported, if not, then honest people with real problems will not be trusted, and will not get the help they need. :)

Sh-t man!!

What are the scamming no good two bob Sukhumvit constabulary going to do now without their tea money??

All those poor Cambodian mine victims were raking it in for the BiB

I guess they'll step up their "keep Sukhumwit tidy" campaign and arrest more farang for phantom cigarette dropping....

Hey -- who said that arrests of farang for phantom begging can't be lucrative ?

I can see the headline now " Crackdown Announced on Farang Beggars " --- or maybe they don't need a headline --- merely a quiet shift from Malaysians to farang.

...and why do we always call it 'tea money ' ? -- only a question in passing -- my Thai wife, family and cousins all call it "noodle money ".

When we consider beggers on the street, one hopes they look at deporting some from our own Country as well. These farang operate on a circuit targeting tourists and farang that live here.

You will find them at Railway Stations, Bus Stations and Supermarkets like Big C and Tesco.

The Ex Pats and tourists have been targeted in Phrae, by a Gentleman claiming to come from Austria or Switzerland,(although his accent is from the Stuttgart region of Germany).

Always the same story, states he lives in Pattaya and claims to have been robbed, asks for Money to help him out as his friend will arrive in 2 days with some money to get him home. He is quite convincing and the Ex-Pats do not like to see fellow farang in trouble like this, (but visiting Phrae for the second time with the same story was a mistake for him)

Description - 1 metre 80 tall, no teeth apart from 1 tooth either side, wears glasses and dresses quite well, has a drink problem as always smells of whisky.

When we see a Ex-Pat in trouble, we always try to help, but people like this need to be deported, if not, then honest people with real problems will not be trusted, and will not get the help they need. :)

This Guy gets around,made his aquaintance outside Tesco Lotus Nongkai.The very same story had his wallet stolen,waiting for his mate to come up from Pattaya to rescue him,had not eaten for 3 days,drinking his last 10 baht bottle of water and was looking for the Catholic church in Nongkai,and asked me was their one in Udonthani also. Luckily my only change was 80 bahts. 1 hour later I came back to pick up my wife and guess who was walking out the front door of Tesco Lotus stuffing a wallet into his pocket.

My mates had a good laugh in Udonthani and they met him a few days later,must have come down to the Catholic Church in Udon. This Guy appears to be German and a right proffessional.

Not sure if it's the same guy, memory is a bit fuzzzy at it was a couple of years back - but similar story in Phitsanulok outside Tesco. As I don't have anytime whatsoever for these scams I like to play it along to the nth degree - sorry mate, no spare cash but yes the catholic church is -- and gave a long detailed explanation on its location, the best way to get there and wished him the best of luck with a hope your friend gets here really soon so you can eat and drink again. If I happen to run into him again - think I will be over generous and suggest calling the local police or even driving him to the police station so they can offer some assistance. :)

W_ankers, would like to see people like this rounded up and shown the backdoor quick smart.

Edited by Artisi

When we see a Ex-Pat in trouble, we always try to help, but people like this need to be deported, if not, then honest people with real problems will not be trusted, and will not get the help they need. :D

This Guy gets around,made his aquaintance outside Tesco Lotus Nongkai.The very same story had his wallet stolen,waiting for his mate to come up from Pattaya to rescue him,had not eaten for 3 days,drinking his last 10 baht bottle of water and was looking for the Catholic church in Nongkai,and asked me was their one in Udonthani also. Luckily my only change was 80 bahts. 1 hour later I came back to pick up my wife and guess who was walking out the front door of Tesco Lotus stuffing a wallet into his pocket.

My mates had a good laugh in Udonthani and they met him a few days later,must have come down to the Catholic Church in Udon. This Guy appears to be German and a right proffessional.

Im scratching my head as to how this guy could be the least bit convincing to anyone considering his story...

Hasnt eaten for three days...last 10 baht bottle of water.....BUT stinks of whisky :D

Last time i checked food and water is a lot more affordable than whisky :D

Anyone who hasnt got the smarts to see through this one must surely be a danger to themselves and SHOULDNT travelling, PERIOD :)

I don't think anyone can get away begging in Bangkok for very long without having to pay off someone. I think the Thais can get away with it and get their spots reserved if they keep the wheels greased, but the aliens will probably be bled to the point of discouragement.

I haven't been around there lately, but there used to be this woman who had a spot in front of the Dynasty on Nana. I could tell she was a professional beggar (as opposed to someone down on their luck). She had a few teeth missing and put on an impressively miserable facial expression, wy-ing over her collection cup. I never gave to her. During the daytime another woman had her spot.

One day I happened to pass at around the time they changed shifts. She was dressed in decent clothes (as opposed to tatters) and was not doing the pathetic facial expression, as she wasn't on duty yet. She gave me an if looks could kill stare.

A few years back I caught an article in a US newspaper about a young Dutch guy who was traveling around the world with no money. He told the reporter "why shouldn't people help me?"

And then there is the drunkard in Vientiane who looks like Nikita Khrushchev. Sometimes he lucks out and the drinks are on the tourists who find Asia so cheap that prices are laughable.

• 4 weeks later...

Thais return beggars and labourers

ABOUT 700 Cambodian beggars and migrant labourers were repatriated from Thailand through Koh Kong and Banteay Meanchey provinces on Monday, government officials and rights workers said.

Provincial monitors from the local rights group Adhoc said Thailand deported 357 Cambodians via Koh Kong province, and between 300 and 400 through Banteay Meanchey province.

“They sent back the workers and beggars because they want to clean up Bangkok and maintain social order,” said Ouk Vantheth, an Adhoc monitor in Koh Kong. “Our beggars in Thailand affected their social order.”

Khun Mara, deputy director of the immigration office at Koh Kong’s Cham Yeam border gate, said the group had been detained for one week in Thailand before being returned to Cambodia.

“They transported them like animals in the cages and threw them away at the border,” Khun Mara said of the Thai authorities, adding that Cambodian officials had the deportees thumbprint a statement vowing that they would not return to Thailand.

Soum Chankea, Adhoc provincial coordinator in Banteay Meanchey province, said a similarly large group of migrants had been repatriated through the Poipet border gate.

Thai government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said the deportations were a normal implementation of Thailand’s immigration law, and unrelated to recent diplomatic tensions between Thailand and Cambodia.

“It’s similarly applied to all countries and nationalities,” Panitan said, adding that Thailand had received “very good cooperation” from Cambodia in the repatriation process.

Thai officials say the deportations aim in part to reduce human trafficking, though some rights advocates say deportees are not being properly screened to determine whether they are eligible to stay in the country.

Chhea Manit, director of the Poipet Transit Centre, said Tuesday that Thailand had deported 16,253 Cambodians via the Banteay Meanchey border thus far in 2010, after returning 91,268 in 2009. She called on the Cambodian government to address the issue by developing employment opportunities within the Kingdom.

The deportees “migrated to Thailand because they could not find domestic jobs and they don’t have land for farming or capital for business”, she said. “The government should encourage investment in factories along the border to prevent the migration of people to neighbouring countries.”

Chan Sambath, director of Koh Kong’s Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Office, said the government was doing its best to help poor migrants but had limited resources.

“We do not have the budget to give them vocational training, but we have cooperated with NGOs in providing taxi fees to send them back to their hometowns,” he said.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/201...-labourers.html