Thailand To Construct Science City

churchill

Thailand to construct science city: minister

BANGKOK, Jan. 21, 2010 (Xinhua News Agency) -- Thailand's government plans to construct the country's first ever science city, Minister of Science and Technology Dr. Kanlaya Sophonphanit disclosed Thursday.

The ministry and the private sector will jointly develop the science city's project, which will cost approximately 5.0 billion baht (151.7 million U.S. dollars), Thai News Agency quoted Dr. Kanlaya as saying.

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewi...ticleid/3798026

2010-01-21

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

There might be a good opportunity for people who are dealing in expensive educational material.

As usual Thai politicians think they can solve the problem by investing in gimmicks.

The only way to upgrade the Thai educational system is to start from the primary and high schools. It should have been done years ago.

The main problem is that many Thai (grand)parents do not see the need of helping their kids, or are simply not capable to do so.

Thai children are taught from very early by repeating, not by experimenting. They also learn that you can buy the magic that will help education. That is why Thailand is still the top-selling country for the "Mozart-method". It is my guess that every Thai house where there is a lady between 18 and 35 there are at least 3 methods to learn English. With the results we know.

There might be a good opportunity for people who are dealing in expensive educational material.

As usual Thai politicians think they can solve the problem by investing in gimmicks.

The only way to upgrade the Thai educational system is to start from the primary and high schools. It should have been done years ago.

The main problem is that many Thai (grand)parents do not see the need of helping their kids, or are simply not capable to do so.

Thai children are taught from very early by repeating, not by experimenting. They also learn that you can buy the magic that will help education. That is why Thailand is still the top-selling country for the "Mozart-method". It is my guess that every Thai house where there is a lady between 18 and 35 there are at least 3 methods to learn English. With the results we know.

"You have hit the nail on the head"

Three methods to learn English?? Most I see, wouldn't know about even one, let alone have any interest in it.

A Science City in Thailand is a joke. Right? I think scheme or scam can be substituted for the Science designation. Whatever the city is named it should be no further than 500 meters from one of those newfangled nuclear facilities. That way the scientists from the trade school could keep an eye on the danger gauges that indicate a meltdown or radiation leak into the atmosphere. The guy that built the "magic box" that improved gas mileage 50% should be the city's first mayor. I think he is out of jail now.

Has the problem of waiting years for phone lines been addressed in this proposed dream campus. This will be the only technology center in the world with dial-up internet once the phone lines are installed. Some mad scientist will figure out that it's faster to do his research on his mobile phone with a 2G network than rely on the in-house computer server from Iran, which had the low (high) bid.

The kid who watches all the televisions at the True Visions War Room will be more than qualified to head security. His experience staring at those TV screens waiting for an alcoholic beverage commercial will come in handy while looking for terrorists and spies on the state of the art two screen black and white Betamax security system.

My hunch is that the announcement has been poorly explained and translated. The intent is probably to build a "cité" . This is a concentration of specialty groups in one area. It is intended to facilitate cross and parallel design and development. This type of format is seen in cities that have universities or that attempt to attract scientific R&D.

The sad part of this announcement is that it is downright idiotic. A junior lab costs about USD$50million. They are not going to get much out of this investment. I believe the money would be better used by endowing a few universities. They could get more bang out of US$25million for a specific science facility than pissing it away on this harebrained scheme.

:) I totally agree with you. The Thai educational system is unique in this world, or let's says in ASIA. Education in Thailand should be free, but it isn't…….

Even in a 'better' primary school parents have to pay money to bring their kids in. At a high school they want to see more money for the Institution. How should a farmer afford that?

English is being taught in every school, but mostly through copying something from the board. When you look into an English book you might think these kids can speak at least some words. But the truth is really sad.

What's the purpose of 'learning' a language, when even the teachers can't say a word properly? They are learning Grammar, without knowing what it really is; a student I taught at a primary level was using the right words: "Students in Thailand have to learn a lot of Grammar, but they don't have the needed vocabulary."

Another sad thing is that nobody will fail, especially kids from teachers…..

Wouldn't it be much better for all, Thai and foreigners who're teaching English if the students who're not learning would have to repeat one academic year?

And they're talking about a "Science city"????????? Mai Kau tchai…..

Edited by Sisaketmike

Edited by Sisaketmike

Just a day after a news like that one: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Rumours-Kill...fe-t331613.html

Now, a Science City in Thailand! That makes sense... :)

When teachers in the country warn their students about mysterious "killing phone calls", a Science City - or even better, a Common Sense City - is really what Thailand needs! Provided that people who have some can be found here, of course! :D

The ministry and the private sector will jointly develop the science city's project, which will cost approximately 5.0 billion baht (151.7 million U.S. dollars), Thai News Agency quoted Dr. Kanlaya as saying. He then did a quick recalculation and said it would more likely be in the region of 2-3 billion baht once the porkers had filled themselves from the trough.

:)

Who remembers....?

Phuket was to be a South East Asian IT hub to take all those IT factories from Penang.

Somewhere near Nakhon Nayok was to be a new technological city linked to Bangkok by a high speed train to rival France's TGV.

All science subjects were to be taught in English.

Science City eh? In a country where they can't get the traffic lights to work for more than a few days at a time. About an hour ago it started to rain. Two minutes later all electric power was lost and returned twenty minutes later. Just how hi-tech is this Science City going to be?

Thai children are taught from very early by repeating, not by experimenting. ... to learn English. With the results we know.

I don't know that it's "gimmickry", although whether it'll be the best approach remains to be seen. What we don't know is what kind of investment international companies or foundations may be willing to make. Further, education is something (nor are most things) where there is only one approach to improvement.

Thai parents don't want to help their children succeed? Well, perhaps when you're living on the edge -- any many in Thailand are -- education isn't the first thing you think about in helping your kids. Maybe just eating and being clothed and going to the doctor when needed is focus number 1...sort of a Maslow's hierarchy sort of thing.

Yes, rote learning is all too common here. No question about it. In terms of young Thais learning English, you're also right. The results are not good. In fact, I have a sense that perhaps it is a downward trend. On the other hand, how many American kids who have taken 4 years of a language in high school can really communicate in French, Spanish, German, Latin, Chinese...or whatever?

My hunch is that the announcement has been poorly explained and translated. The intent is probably to build a "cité" . This is a concentration of specialty groups in one area. It is intended to facilitate cross and parallel design and development. This type of format is seen in cities that have universities or that attempt to attract scientific R&D.

The sad part of this announcement is that it is downright idiotic. A junior lab costs about USD$50million. They are not going to get much out of this investment. I believe the money would be better used by endowing a few universities. They could get more bang out of US$25million for a specific science facility than pissing it away on this harebrained scheme.

I think you begin with a valid point -- here is an announcement that, as described in this news article, is about 50 words long.

But, as usual, TV posters are putting a huge negative spin on something they know virtually nothing about simply because they are "down" on Thailand. Who that has posted thus far actually knows anything in any depth at all about this proposal? And, if they do, who has any real background in analyzing it? Maybe someone, but mostly it's just the shoot-from-the-hip type of posters that are all too happy to critique, but in reality have little or no information.

Your post shows some understanding and knowledge of alternatives to reach the same goal.

As for most of the rest of you it's bash Thailand despite the fact that you have little or no knowledge of the situation.

:) I totally agree with you. The Thai educational system is unique in this world, or let's says in ASIA.

What's the purpose of 'learning' a language, when even the teachers can't say a word properly? They are learning Grammar, without knowing what it really is; a student I taught at a primary level was using the right words: "Students in Thailand have to learn a lot of Grammar, but they don't have the needed vocabulary."

Another sad thing is that nobody will fail, especially kids from teachers…..

Wouldn't it be much better for all, Thai and foreigners who're teaching English if the students who're not learning would have to repeat one academic year?

I think you have jumped to an invalid conclusion...that the educational program in Thailand is unique in the world or even in Asia. Let me relate a true story. About ten years ago, when I was a principal in a middle school in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., we received an urgent telephone call from the U.S. Education Department. Some plans had fallen through and a group of "English teachers" from Taiwan needed to visit a middle school in the early afternoon. Could they come to our school? Whew! "Don't worry they are all teachers of English, so there will be no language problem."

So, I agreed to quickly set up a meeting with some teachers and a tour. They arrived around 11 a.m. No communication problems? English teachers? Yeah, right. Perhaps their skill was in written English, but it certainly wasn't in spoken English. Panic time!

Suddenly an idea popped into my head. We were in an affluent suburb and had a large GT program...and quite a few Asian students. I knew we had some that were Chinese, and I thought perhaps I could find at least a handful that spoke...as I recall, Mandarin. I quickly made a PA announcement, asking that any student who spoke Mandarin, please come and help us in the main office. It turned out that we had about a dozen students come to help...and save the day.

So, thinking that Thailand is the only place where teachers of English are lacking in English skills is just not correct. I might add that I am a frequent reader in the ajarn dot com forums...and many, if not most, of the posters there THAT ARE TEACHING ENGLISH have any real qualifications to be teaching. And those are westerners to which I'm referring.

Who remembers....?

Phuket was to be a South East Asian IT hub to take all those IT factories from Penang.

Somewhere near Nakhon Nayok was to be a new technological city linked to Bangkok by a high speed train to rival France's TGV.

All science subjects were to be taught in English.

This is a very fair critique of Thailand's approach to things. You're not trying to extrapolate too much, you're just stating some facts. I, too, have noticed grandiose words about becoming a hub for this or that, but saying it and doing it are two different things.

I think you have jumped to an invalid conclusion...that the educational program in Thailand is unique in the world or even in Asia. Let me relate a true story. About ten years ago, when I was a principal in a middle school in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., we received an urgent telephone call from the U.S. Education Department. Some plans had fallen through and a group of "English teachers" from Taiwan needed to visit a middle school in the early afternoon. Could they come to our school? Whew! "Don't worry they are all teachers of English, so there will be no language problem."

Come on, it is not the English teachers who get to go on the international jollies, it is the bosses, politicians and associated hangers on. And if they have to call themselves "English teachers" to legitimise it, then why not?

Come on, it is not the English teachers who get to go on the international jollies, it is the bosses, politicians and associated hangers on. And if they have to call themselves "English teachers" to legitimise it, then why not?

Excuse me. These were English teachers with a trip that was being funded by one of the educational think tanks. And, we had teachers of our own who were invited on similar type visitations...for example one of our regular, everyday English teachers was invited to participate in an educational junket to the PRC.