Last Will And Testament

purplefred

Hi everyone, Does anyone have a good and reasonably priced lawyer to recommend? I want to make some minor changes to my previous will. The previous lawyer charged me 10K. I want to check on the market rate. Or can I just change it myself and have 2 witnesses signed to validate it?

Thanks

My personal opinion based on experiences in the U.S. is to just change it yourself if you are making no tricky changes that might have different legal interpretations depending upon wording. Or if you have such a sizable estate that 17 people will be fighting over it no matter to whom you leave it, you might want legal guidance.

Otherwise, You have the format and wording already defined, all the required "whereas" and "whyfores" are in there, so I would make the changes myself. That is what I did and no problems so far (hmmmm, is there a joke in there somewhere?).

Edited by noise

Very much agree with the do-it-yourself advice. Just add a codicil to the existing will, make sure it is in simple, clear language. Or you can get free "fill in the blanks" wills by Googling for such, more elaborate and customized ones for a few dollars. Just make sure you have it properly witnessed. Notarization may be helpful but not required.