No Courtesy, Care, Regard - Nothing!

seaeagle

Here in Bangkok I was using a car with a dodgy battery which needed jump starting regularly. Easy option was to flag down a cab, then give him 50 baht for his troubles.

Guess the last people on earth I would ask for help though is the Phuket taxi mafia scum*.

(* I find it impossible two type the first two words of that phrase without the last two)

I hadn't realised until now what an exciting, daredevil sort of person I am, having jump-started so many cars without wearing body armour or running for cover. I even did it a couple of weeks ago using a car full of modern electronics! I feel like a superhero now that I've read how mortally dangerous it is.

Here is the correct proceedure:

First ..Attach one end of one cable to the dead battery's positive terminal.

<LI>Second..Attach the other end of the same cable to the positive terminal of the battery in the jumper vehicle.

<LI>Third...Attach one end of the other cable to the negative terminal of the battery in the jumper vehicle.

<LI>Forth... Attach the other end of the negative cable to the engine block of the car with the dead battery. Look for unpainted metal surfaces and be sure it will clear anything moving when the car starts. Do not attach the negative cable to the dead battery itself.

Doing in this sequence will prevent sparking and reduce the risk of explosion...it will not prevent possible computer damage.

I've always just done it to the battery and not the engine block or frame. It's always worked for me just fine. Am, I doing it wrong, or risking my car or his??

I hadn't realised until now what an exciting, daredevil sort of person I am, having jump-started so many cars without wearing body armour or running for cover. I even did it a couple of weeks ago using a car full of modern electronics! I feel like a superhero now that I've read how mortally dangerous it is.

:) One can only presume you are joking...yes? :D

<LI>Second..Attach the other end of the same cable to the positive terminal of the battery in the jumper vehicle.

<LI>Third...Attach one end of the other cable to the negative terminal of the battery in the jumper vehicle.

<LI>Forth... Attach the other end of the negative cable to the engine block of the car with the dead battery. Look for unpainted metal surfaces and be sure it will clear anything moving when the car starts. Do not attach the negative cable to the dead battery itself.

Doing in this sequence will prevent sparking and reduce the risk of explosion...it will not prevent possible computer damage.

I've always just done it to the battery and not the engine block or frame. It's always worked for me just fine. Am, I doing it wrong, or risking my car or his??

:)

Sure, it works, but the inherent dangers as in preceding posts are real. Dont worry about risking the cars, they are fixable.

A battery exploding in your face would not be a good start to your year!

Now you know the correct proceedure..apply it..just as easy , not AS dangerous

Sure, it works, but the inherent dangers as in preceding posts are real. Dont worry about risking the cars, they are fixable.

dead batterys dont explode and dont have gases, so as long as last connected cable is negative connected to dead car, it doesnt matter if its connected to body/engine/battery.

waiting a couple of minutes while connected with jumpers before starting dead car, reduces the risk of damaging donor cars electronics

:D

dead batterys dont explode and dont have gases, so as long as last connected cable is negative connected to dead car, it doesnt matter if its connected to body/engine/battery.

waiting a couple of minutes while connected with jumpers before starting dead car, reduces the risk of damaging donor cars electronics

Well , you think you know it all....but unfortunately my friend you are very wrong in all regards.

But i will not explain it to you...simply google it! but then again , in your case, this applies;

''None as blind as one who refuses to see'' :)

Well , you think you know it all....but unfortunately my friend you are very wrong in all regards.

But i will not explain it to you...simply google it! but then again , in your case, this applies;

happyinkathu, fortunately neither you, most tuk tuk drivers or most tailors are not "my friend" :D I know you like to think so, but dream on :D

its odd how we all survived in the car business years before google could help us, jumpstarting cars without explotions or damaged electronics for decades. just pure know how and experince, and some advice from Bosch

actually some mobilephones have exploded while charging, perhaps they should have consulted happyinkathu before connecting :D:D:D

happyinkathu, fortunately neither you, most tuk tuk drivers or most tailors are not "my friend" :D I know you like to think so, but dream on :D

its odd how we all survived in the car business years before google could help us, jumpstarting cars without explotions or damaged electronics for decades. just pure know how and experince, and some advice from Bosch

actually some mobilephones have exploded while charging, perhaps they should have consulted happyinkathu before connecting :D:D:D

Strange chap!!.... Something missing somewhere methinks..... RE; My earlier Quote; My main point though is that jumpstarting is wrongly considered as a ''no brainer''

I guess'' if the cap fits, you wear it'' applies here lol...

You do as you want funny guy..you are not the first know-it-all to go against good advice..up to you! Something to do with IQ and shoe size!! Dont remember how it goes but you would understand huh! :cheesy: But dont spout your dangerous lack of commonsense to the many people who have no idea of the dangers involved in this matter. Nothing at all to do with ''consulting'' me..i'm just passing on the facts.

Anyway heres a bit more info for those intelligent enough to understand;

COLUMBUS – Every year nearly 6,000 motorists suffer serious eye injuries from working around car batteries. These injuries could have been prevented had the motorists worn splash-proof safety goggles and followed instructions for proper jump-starting procedures. With winter weather, drivers should be aware of how to safely jump-start their car’s battery.

According to Prevent Blindness Ohio, all vehicle batteries contain sulfuric acid and produce hydrogen and oxygen gases. Improper procedures in jump-starting a disabled car may turn the battery into a bomb. "If the gases come into contact with a spark, flame, or lighted cigarette, the battery can explode, sending battery fragments and acid flying," notes Sherill K. Williams, president and CEO of Prevent Blindness Ohio.

Strange chap!!.... Something missing somewhere methinks..... RE; My earlier Quote; My main point though is that jumpstarting is wrongly considered as a ''no brainer''

I guess'' if the cap fits, you wear it'' applies here lol...

You do as you want funny guy..you are not the first know-it-all to go against good advice..up to you! Something to do with IQ and shoe size!! Dont remember how it goes but you would understand huh! :cheesy: But dont spout your dangerous lack of commonsense to the many people who have no idea of the dangers involved in this matter. Nothing at all to do with ''consulting'' me..i'm just passing on the facts.

Anyway heres a bit more info for those intelligent enough to understand;

COLUMBUS – Every year nearly 6,000 motorists suffer serious eye injuries from working around car batteries. These injuries could have been prevented had the motorists worn splash-proof safety goggles and followed instructions for proper jump-starting procedures. With winter weather, drivers should be aware of how to safely jump-start their car's battery.

According to Prevent Blindness Ohio, all vehicle batteries contain sulfuric acid and produce hydrogen and oxygen gases. Improper procedures in jump-starting a disabled car may turn the battery into a bomb. "If the gases come into contact with a spark, flame, or lighted cigarette, the battery can explode, sending battery fragments and acid flying," notes Sherill K. Williams, president and CEO of Prevent Blindness Ohio.

I take mods advice and do not reply to your flaming and assumptions about me

why would we need "splash proof safety goggles" if following your "proper procedure"?

a lot of cars comes with jumpercables as a part of the standard emergency kit, but no goggles. they must be highly unsafe

according to Bosch lead acid batteries produce gases only when charging, wether its with charger, alternator or jumpcables, at least thats what they taught me when I worked in the auto industry. when jump cables connected, they taught us to move away from vehicles batteries and start engine after a couple of minutes. worked fine for decades with a few hundred cars a year. No blown battery, no blown electronics

Edited by katabeachbum

ICOLUMBUS – Every year nearly 6,000 motorists suffer serious eye injuries from working around car batteries. These injuries could have been prevented had the motorists worn splash-proof safety goggles and followed instructions for proper jump-starting procedures. With winter weather, drivers should be aware of how to safely jump-start their car's battery.

Katabechbum

I take mods advice and do not reply to your flaming and assumptions about me

why would we need "splash proof safety goggles" if following your "proper procedure"?

a lot of cars comes with jumpercables as a part of the standard emergency kit, but no goggles. they must be highly unsafe

according to Bosch lead acid batteries produce gases only when charging, wether its with charger, alternator or jumpcables, at least thats what they taught me when I worked in the auto industry. when jump cables connected, they taught us to move away from vehicles batteries and start engine after a couple of minutes. worked fine for decades with a few hundred cars a year. No blown battery, no blown electronics

I am not intending to ''flame you'' Just pointing out the obvious my friend.

This is getting rather monotonous..Maybe the 6000 people[ thats 16 every day ] in USA alone that were injured by exactly what i am talking about, wish that they had prior knowledge of the dangers.

Everything i have quoted is available to research on any search engine ! This is not my ''plucked from the air theory''..Its all factual..,You will not find any advice to the contrary.. End of storyKBB..Sorry! PS even the BOSCH page gives the same info... :D

well I am crapping myself now, I have a 43 year old bug and am forever forgeting to kill the lights so have to jump it often. The batteries are under the back seat and about 40cm's from me when trying to start the bitch, do i need an amoured suit next time?

Anybody want to buy a bug?

Edited by paulfromphuket

well I am crapping myself now, I have a 43 year old bug and am forever forgeting to kill the lights so have to jump it often. The batteries are under the back seat and about 40cm's from me when trying to start the bitch, do i need an amoured suit next time?

Anybody want to buy a bug?

That is a great way to talk about your girlfriend. :)

Ok you've both had fun making your points, all of which are marginally and very marginally at that, relevant to the topic at hand. Any further posts in this vein will be deleted.

Yes, the TV Forums comiedians have had their fun, but this started as a serious response to a post by Old Croc which was not correct.

Any readers interested should just skip back to the real and serious issue of safe jumpstarting another car, because as the data tells , it can be dangerous , not only to modern vehical computer systems, but more so for the people involved in this common proceedure.

Every Automobile Association, car manufacturer,battery manufacturer,Popular Mechanics magazine[ even in an issue from 1979] all state as i already said re; the safe and recommended method of jumpstarting.

I figure it is a ''totally up to you'' scenario if someone asks you for a jumpstart..Just understand the implications. It may even cost you a new computer for your car if things go wrong, or worse still an eye injury. After the damage is done, do you think the people you helped jump start are going to compensate you? Your choice.

Myself , i consider that posting this information is done as a help to people who really dont understand, just as i always stop at a broken down car , to see if i can help.

Edited by happyinkathu

Well, that comment just says everything about you! I suppose it does depend a lot on your upbringing, where you lived and where you live now. My home area is the north of England and we're brought up to be friendly and helpful.......and I refuse to sink down to the level of those people who have lived here a long time, and get the comment made about them : "he's been here too long".

As the second poster implies, .....if this had happened to me, I'd still do it again because that's the way I am. Shame, shame, shame on those who ignored this woman.

Always believe in helping people in trouble, its the way we were brought up after the war in downtown Wigan, a couple of years ago while on holiday in UK, we stopped on the M6 to help a middle aged lady who had a flat tyre, it was pouring with rains so we told her to sit in our car while my brother and I changed the wheel,she thanked us sat in our car , closed the door and drove off :) when the police came ,the car we sat in had also been stolen the same way, luckily my brothers car was tagged, so the lady concerned was caught and the car returned undamaged, now do i stop and help people, WHAT DO YOU THINK :D

Have to say I disagree about Britain.

Yes, we never acknowledge each other when passing in the road unless we know each other, but when someone's in trouble - we help.

i have too agree with the last reply.

I totally agree with the above. I didn't know any of my neighbours(not unusual these days with people moving all the time) that was until it snowed the other week and now i know 6 more people than i did before it snowed as we all helped each other out pushing cars and digging cars out.

The reason we feell appaled at thiings is not really anything to do with the people who appal us;

1. our expectations of how we think that people should reply to our needs is what causes the disappointment, not the acts of those people who we expect to react in this way or that.

If we do not expect people to do what we would do, and realise that not all people are the same, then we would not suffer when they do not do what we expect them to (because we dont expect them to do anything).

2. Not all people are the same, regardless of race - this is a matter of "luck and chance" - on another day in the same place, you might have found 5 Thais who rushed to your aid without even being asked,it is just as likely for this to happen as for you to be refused. It is a matter of who you meet at that moment - as i said, no 2 people are the same. if it was rush hour then everyone is stressed and rushing to get home, which will reduce your chances of a friendly helper or Good Samaritan appearing.

We have all had days when we said screw everyone else, and wer have also had days when all we did was smile at everyone and be helpful to others. Its a matter of which side of the bed you got out of.

If you had been helped with no asking on that day, then instead of your "apalled" letter, you would be posting about how wonderful the Thai people are. It could happen either way, depending on who crosses your path at that moment and how helpful a disposition that person has in that particular moment.

It is as simple as that.

Please don't be apalled at a whole race of people simply because the first three people you asked for help refused you. This world has &lt;deleted&gt; and also angels, and in fact we are all both asshol_e and angel in interchangeable phases depending on our moods.

Mood is a very powerful energy and influences our minds beyond imagination.

a good or bad experience is influenced by a host of factors, half of those factors being personal, within our minds. Our expectations are the chief influence on whether we will "suffer" disappoinment or "enjoy" being impressed by the behaviour of others.

Release yourself from preconcieved expectations and you will never be disappointed in anyone.

Life will be happier.

I think to those times when i have sung the praises of a nation of people for having been helped on a certain occasion, and the times i have cursed the same nation of people when something bad happened. This shows me how my mind has seen a whole basket of eggs as rotten and also as priceless on two separate occasions. Proving of course, that it is not the eggs which are rotten or priceless, rather, it is my viewpoint that can be rotten or priceless.

There was once a wise sheperd who tended his flock on the top of a hill which looked down upon two valleys. Each valley had a village nestled within its hub. One day a grumpy faced man came up the hill from the direction of the first village, and stopped to speak to the sheperd;

"what are the people in the next village like? i am moving from the village down there behind me, and i would like to know what the people are like in the next place"

"What are the people like in the village you came from?" said the sheperd.

"Horrible" said the grumpy faced man.

"Well, the people in the next village are just the same as the ones in the village you just came from" said the Sheperd.

A few days later, a merry faced man came wandering up the hillside from the first village, and stopped on the top to talk to the sheperd.

"what are the people in the next village like? i am moving from the village down there behind me, and i would like to know what the people are like in the next place"

"What are the people like in the village you came from?" the sheperd asked once more;

"Oh wonderful, said the merry faced man, "The people there are just fine, and very kind"

"Well, the people in the next village are just as kind and fine as the ones in the village you just came from" said the Sheperd.

Edited by thailandfaq

Jump starting a car can be very dangerous..a single spark can cause battery fumes to ignite and result in the battery exploding in your face!

What you said above is not correct, both in proceedure and in stopping damage to the cars computer. Firstly ,the computer is likely to be damaged once the leads are connected and the battery receives the extra power. I am not an electro-specialist myself but was told that this initial ''spike'' can be very high voltage,,thereby causing the damage. A lot of modern cars advise NOT to jump start.

This is the opposite to what you said above.

It's all pedantic, but all that's needed to prevent computer damage is to allow the cars battery to charge for a minute or two first at mid-range RPM's to bring up some charge on the dead battery before turning over the engine. Vehicle computers are getting voltage spikes every single time the car starts, lights are turned on, A/C is shut off or turned on, etc. and it is more about amperage anyways, the voltage is limited by an internal voltage regulator to no more then 14 volts which is well within standard of ALL vehicle computers.. They don't recommend amateurs jump car batteries simply for safety and use computer damage as an excuse for the technologically challenged it's an all encompassing disclaimer and for wiggle room if you are under warranty or get hurt in doing so.. :)

Summat else to consider when taking a jump from a portable charger pack - essentially a stand-alone HD battery with some beefy leads. When the engine is off, the battery will discharge. The rate of discharge depends on the residual engine-off loads and the self-discharge characteristics of the battery. On most car lead acid batteries a residual current of at least 2.5v must be present for a successful boost from the charger pack. If the battery is suspect, better to invest in a new one than risk getting Somchai’d on a dark road at night... :)