What To Do With An Old Dog?

This is the only dog we have ever had so never had to deal with this problem before. Our dog is a 13 y/o cocker spaniel that we have had since he was 6 weeks old. Over the years he has had the usual dog ailments which we promptly treated. He lost his hearing about a year ago and his eyesight is very poor. About 6 months ago he started having problems with his rear legs which made it difficult to walk although he could still get around. The past two weeks his situation has gotten much worse. A couple of days ago I came outside and he had slipped on the drive way tiles and couldn't get back up. It looks like his walking days are about over. Other then the aforementioined problems (sight, hearing, walking) he is in pretty good health. I'm thinking it might be time to have him put to sleep although he isn't in any pain. So, "What to do with an old dog?"

one day in the future, your children will ask themselves:

What shall we do with our old parents,

Other then the aforementioined problems (sight, hearing, walking) they are in pretty good health. I'm thinking it might be time to have them put to sleep although they aren´t in any pain. So, "What to do .......

A bit harsh, don't you think Goldfinger? :)

Spaniel, as I'm dealing with many dogs I have come across this question several times. All my old pack went over the Rainbow bridge already. Three died by themselves and the rest I had to euthanize. The euthanization always in consultation with my vet.

It was often the dog who indicated s/he didn't want to go on anymore.

I remember my GSD female, Jenny. She had cancer. Although the last few months she was on painkillers, she was still going strong, playing a bit, swimming everyday, eating good. Till that one morning when I clearly saw she didn't want to go on. Se also stopped eating and drinking.

My Afghan male, Tenbath, also had cancer. That was a very hard one as he was not ready to go. But the cancer had affected his vein and he was bleeding to death.

Another GSD female, Daika had HD. In the end she couldn't get up anymore to urinate and defecate. I never forget the embarrassment in her eyes, and that she didn't want to go on like that anymore.

The love of my life, my boxer Lucky, got E. canis. That was before the SNAP test came out and although even on the peak of her illness the ricketsia didn't show up under the microscope. (she came back to me, though, in the form of a mini-boxer, a pug. :D)

A customer dog developed a huge rare tumor in her abdomen. The vet gave her another 5 to 6 months to live. After 5 months she gave up. Her eyes told me that and she stopped eating and drinking.

If your dog is still fairly alert, eats and drinks good, then if he would be my dog and the dog isn't in pain I would provide him with as much quality time as is possible. Spend as much time together and spoil it a bit. By the time the dog doesn't want to continue anymore he will tell you. You know your dog, you will understand his eyes. However, if the dog is in a lot of pain than I would go and discuss the final decision with the vet. And that's hard, very hard, very painful.

After my boxer passed on I had made a small altar with her pictures, candles on each side and some incentives in front that I would lit everyday and spend some time thinking of her and mentally talking to her (and crying my eyes out). That was my way of dealing with my grieve. You may have another way.

I hope this helps. Wish you a lot of strength in the coming time.

@nienke, maybe a bit.....

but as he mentioned: "he is in pretty good health."

does mean for me, he can eat and he likes to eat.Of course he is not the same as with 3 or 4 years, but he is still living without pain.

You gave the answer yourself:"By the time the dog doesn't want to continue anymore he will tell you. You know your dog, you will understand his eyes. However, if the dog is in a lot of pain than I would go and discuss the final decision with the vet.

"

I think many of us can recount stories about previous dogs, and the agonies suffered over when was the time to end it for them. No cut and dried answer of course, but from my viewpoint, it's all about the degree of pain that your dog is suffering, and how consistent is that pain.

Bottom line, I think you will know when the time comes to end it, and that's when the quality of life for your pet is such that the decision will be instinctive, and will be made because it's the right thing to do.

u can keep her in one small area, with a carpet under her, for traction, and cover the carpet against peepee (usually they pee when they fall and then cant get up when they want to go out to pee); make sure she drinks water when u watch her so that if she falls later and u arent around, she doesnt dehydrate; feed her and then take her outside and help hold her up and masage her abdomen so she will defecate ; u can stil play with a dog that wants to play, even if they cant stand up by giving them a small toy, pulling softly, or throwing it if they can see to catch it (throw it softly to their face so they can grab it)... make sure she is turned on either side, often if she is laying on her sides for long perdiods of time. best if she can lay on a bean bag which conforms to her body, and gives proper support, but quilts or pile of blankets are good also...

make sure her toenails are clipped. old dogs dont wear down their nails so u must clip them. when they become totally bedridden, u will have to feed soft foods often, help her drink (lift her bowl so she can lap water properly), etc. if she has pain, there are several types of doggy painkillers. in the end, u will have to decide to euthenize or keep her this way until she dies naturally. usually when they stop eating that is a sign of starting the dying process. but a vet might give her a shot of steroids that sometimes gives a new lease on life with leg problems depending what the cause is: cancer, old age, HP, etc.

hope this helps

bina

Depending on who your vet is... TIT or (This Is Thailand) most vets will NOT do it here! I have had my share of old dogs over 45 years of having man's best friend at my side. This is not a easy thing to do.. and if you can find a Thai vet who will do this...I will be surprised.. Do all you can do to keep him going and remember he is your first dog.. do not put him down because he is now a burden.

GOOD LUCK.. my heart goes out to you..I know your pain..

A bit harsh, don't you think Goldfinger? :)

It was often the dog who indicated s/he didn't want to go on anymore.

...Till that one morning when I clearly saw she didn't want to go on. Se also stopped eating and drinking.

My Afghan male, Tenbath, also had cancer. That was a very hard one as he was not ready to go. But the cancer had affected his vein and he was bleeding to death.

Another GSD female, Daika had HD. In the end she couldn't get up anymore to urinate and defecate. I never forget the embarrassment in her eyes, and that she didn't want to go on like that anymore.

...After 5 months she gave up. Her eyes told me that and she stopped eating and drinking.

If your dog is still fairly alert, eats and drinks good, then if he would be my dog and the dog isn't in pain I would provide him with as much quality time as is possible. Spend as much time together and spoil it a bit. By the time the dog doesn't want to continue anymore he will tell you. You know your dog, you will understand his eyes. However, if the dog is in a lot of pain than I would go and discuss the final decision with the vet. And that's hard, very hard, very painful.

After my boxer passed on I had made a small altar with her pictures, candles on each side and some incentives in front that I would lit everyday and spend some time thinking of her and mentally talking to her (and crying my eyes out). That was my way of dealing with my grieve. You may have another way.

I hope this helps. Wish you a lot of strength in the coming time.

No, I don't think the reaction was harsh...I was thinking the same myself.

But, I have to admit that the rest of your post brought tears to my eyes. It sounds as if you made the correct calls.

I recently retired here from the States, and the hardest thing in the move was leaving my three parrots behind...one in particular that was the best companion bird anyone could ever hope for. Fortunately I found a wonderful young lady who loves them as much as did I. She communicates with me fairly often, updating me, and it has reassured me that I made the right choice in a new owner.

Then one day the news came that one of the parrots -- just in "middle age" had passed over that rainbow bridge. Not my favored one, but the first parrot (conure) I owned. I was surprised at the strength of my sorrow...to not have been there to take care of him. There was no negligence on the new owner's part...although she and the vet couldn't determine the cause of death, it was clearly a bird who had fallen off the perch and had a life-threatening concussion.

I have known people who have had their pets put down way too quickly, in which case that "harsh" post you referred to should have been said by someone. I know people who have waited way too long. I do think it is about quality of life and the effort the pet is making to continue on.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

This is a heart breaking problem.

If your friend was suffering, you would make the decision I think to free her from that.

However you say she is in pretty good health. Her back legs are a concern, why don't you make her a small cart, I saw a dog in Scotland who had lost use of the back legs completely, the owner had made a cart with 2 wheels, this was strapped around her middle and the 2 wheels worked in place of the legs. She was an old dog, but still went out for walks everyday and she was happy, the leg thing didn't seem to bother her al all.

its not life that matters, its the quality of life, human and animal.

had a lab that had sudden brain tumour and he was panicking etc etc..

Vet advised to him go.

After 14/15 years it was a wrench.

However, why keep him alive on a ventilator etc.?

Vet gave him a shot and I stayed with him until he stopped breathing.

Hope it will be as easy for me and my human connections-it hasn't been for some..

Went to the vets with my dog and came home with a leash.

Its part of life's cycle of events and the price you pay for having the fun and joy that animals bring.

What would we do without them?!

He taught me a lot, especially to turn around three time before sitting down!

Carpe diem!

This is a heart breaking problem.

If your friend was suffering, you would make the decision I think to free her from that.

However you say she is in pretty good health. Her back legs are a concern, why don't you make her a small cart, I saw a dog in Scotland who had lost use of the back legs completely, the owner had made a cart with 2 wheels, this was strapped around her middle and the 2 wheels worked in place of the legs. She was an old dog, but still went out for walks everyday and she was happy, the leg thing didn't seem to bother her al all.

I get the impression that the op's post has made some memories loose of all who is reading this thread and have had very beloved animals passing their lives.

It certainly did and still does with me each time I come back to this thread. The love and joy I've shared with my dogs, and long long time ago one cat. They were there for and with me in difficult times. And the many many things they have taught me.

I miss them.

Very touching thread.

I don't know if you remember - my beloved cat died last February - her name was Saturna and she was 15. There is a thread here about her.

I miss her like crazy, still.

Silly, softies aren't we.

OP, hold onto your puppy until, as Nienke says, he looks into your eyes, Or unless he is in detress- but remember he knows that he has been loved all these years.

I can sympathize with this thread on so many levels. My 9+ y/o male Somali cat; Ruddy Boy died Friday after suffering chronic renal failure for about a month. He let me know in no uncertain terms he was ready to go home to see his mother.

I'm still broken up about it, and will take him to the temple at Wat Khlong-Toei-Nai to cremate him tomorrow.

It is always difficult when our pets reach the end of their lifespan. Deciding what is best for the pet as far as quality of life, etc is a tough and very personal call. Sadly, often times the plain fact we don't want to let them go; gets in the way of making a good sound medical decision based solely on the pet and not our own selfish needs.

I do concur with a poster who said euthanasia in thailand is tough to come by (I think because of their oh-so selective buddhist beliefs).

I found two clinics in Bangkok which will do house calls for euthanasia, but when I called Thong-Lo hospital where my pets were treated the last 5 years they said they didn't offer that ‘service’. Strange as they cater to a predominantly foreign and hi-so thai crowd.

Anyway, my heart goes out to you, good luck.

Ruddy Boy - 13 April 2000 - 22 January 2009 (9 years, 9 months, 9 days)

post-26360-1264395783_thumb.jpg

I can sympathize with this thread on so many levels. My 9+ y/o male Somali cat; Ruddy Boy died Friday after suffering chronic renal failure for about a month. He let me know in no uncertain terms he was ready to go home to see his mother.

I'm still broken up about it, and will take him to the temple at Wat Khlong-Toei-Nai to cremate him tomorrow.

It is always difficult when our pets reach the end of their lifespan. Deciding what is best for the pet as far as quality of life, etc is a tough and very personal call. Sadly, often times the plain fact we don't want to let them go; gets in the way of making a good sound medical decision based solely on the pet and not our own selfish needs.

I do concur with a poster who said euthanasia in thailand is tough to come by (I think because of their oh-so selective buddhist beliefs).

I found two clinics in Bangkok which will do house calls for euthanasia, but when I called Thong-Lo hospital where my pets were treated the last 5 years they said they didn't offer that ‘service’. Strange as they cater to a predominantly foreign and hi-so thai crowd.

Anyway, my heart goes out to you, good luck.

Thong Lo will do it, although we chose not to. You have to talk to the doctor. Over the phone, they will say they don't.

Ruddy Boy - 13 April 2000 - 22 January 2009 (9 years, 9 months, 9 days)

No mention is made of the family situation. However, if there are children or others implicated in the dog's life, these people will need to be involved. I recall to this day the manner in which I was told that the dog that I had spent all my life with and with who's tail I had learnt to walk, had died. I was away at summer camp and my letters home inquiring as to the dog's condition were not answered. I knew something was wrong. Fast forward a few weeks, and on visiting day, my brilliant brother comes up to me and says, the dog is dead. I was 8 and cried. He called me a baby. He was 13. Brothers can be brilliant. The point being that care must be taken if there are children involved. The death of a pal stays with them a long time, particularly if that dog or cat has been an integral part of the family.

It appears that the dog is close to the end of its journey although not at the end of it. Consider palliative care. For the next few eks or months, make the dog's life as comfortable as possible. I don't think it has much longer to go as the organs will start failing in quick succession. The palliative care will allow you to have a decent closure to this part of your life and act to reduce the sadness and regret that you will experience. Those few weeks of care will let you say goodbye to an old friend and know that you made it's last days comfortable and filled with love. If the time comes to euthanize everyone will be ready.

Only the loving owner will know when their much loved pet is suffering and no longer enjoying life anymore. (Ignore anything your friends/family (that aren't as close to the pet) are telling you - they can't read the pet in the same way.

Its the hardest decision anyone can make, but unfortunately we have no choice when our beloved pet is suffering.

How's your dog doing?

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your replies. I am sad to report that our dog passed away this morning (18 Mar) at 11:30. It was a struggle keeping him the past month but he died peacefully while my wife and I held him.