Bank Account Numbers

I am trying to help a friend to make an internet transfer from his HSBC account in England to his Bangkok bank account here in Thailand.I have set up internet banking for him with HSBC and when I try to enter his Bangkok Bank account number it is rejected because it has insufficient digits.The appropriate field on the HSBC internet bankingrequires an IBAN number(International Bank Account number) which is 12 digits and the Bangkok Bank account number is 10 digits.I have asked Bngkok Bank about this and they say that they do not have IBANs here in Thailand. HSBC say all banks in the world have them so I am not sure where to go from here.I have an account with HSBC Int in Jersey and also an account with Bangkok Bank and I am able to transfer funds without any trouble.

I wonder if anybody else has had this problem and managed to solve it.I would be most grateful for any suggestions.The alternative is a phone transfer but it is 30 pounds per transfer whic is twice the cost of the internet transfer.

Ive never transfered money from my UK HSBC bank to my Thai Bangkok Bank account via the internet,

but I can tell you I was told the same by Bangkok Bank that they do not use an IBAN number, I was told by HSBC just to use their SWIFT CODE instead , which is BKKBTHBK . I arrange my transfers via FAX and have used only the SWIFT number and my Bangkok Bank account ( 10 digit ) number with out a problem

TL

Yes, BKK bank does not deal with IBAN, they only deal with SWIFT transfers, SWIFT stands for ... Society of Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication ...

In order to make the transfer for your friend, get the SWIFT code from BBk bank and follow the normal online banking procedure, Bingo !