A Tv Alternative To Ubc

bluweyze

I read a lot of complaints about paying for UBC, not watching cricket and rugby etc and especially from people who live outside central Chiangmai WETV area.

I just had installed 2 separate satellite systems.

***no pirated channel service info here pls***

2. Vietnam UBC

This gets English language programmes from Vietnam but movies are Vietnam subtitles. Installation varies but around 22,000 and annually 6,000 baht. Unlike multichannel it is not a pirate. 4 programmes- ESPN (But shows English Premier League football); Star Sports (But shows English Premier League football); HBO Movies; Star Movies. If you have a Thai wife expect complaints about the movie subtitles! OK it's not a large selection but it beats paying UBC Gold to watch Premier League

I had mine installed by Chiangmai Technical Engineering who are a big shop on the first outer ring road north of Chiang Mai, up the Mae Rim road turn right at the prison and you can't miss it because of the satellite dishes on the road to Rimping.

As having a little eye in to that Businesses can say I see that you paid about 5000 to 6000 bath to much

I know the company very well.

My equipment here is a Motorized dish 10 Ft and Dream-box 7020 and a 90 cm with dream box 500S

And all the channels you think of to a total grand prize of 19500 Bath.

But anyway its better then to pay 2500 a month for UBC now included for fr..

Why is it better than UBC? For my 2500 baht per month, I get everything I could possibly want, and more.

I also have satelight, but there is no comparison in my opinion. :)

I didn't say it was better I just submitted the information in response to a number of posts asking about alternatives.People can decide what they want and how much they want to pay. The more information you have the better you can make your own choices.

For me it is simple, I have 50 bedrooms in my resort if I want to use True Visions I pay per room, per channel selected, CNN for instance is 338 baht per room, per month. I want to give my guests more choice so I have True, 3 satellites and Vietnam to provide more than 20 options at a price I can afford. In my home I have the True Gold package which works well for me ( as it does for you) except for some shortfall in sports except Premier League, so I also link in to these satellite options

As having a little eye in to that Businesses can say I see that you paid about 5000 to 6000 bath to much

I know the company very well.

My equipment here is a Motorized dish 10 Ft and Dream-box 7020 and a 90 cm with dream box 500S

And all the channels you think of to a total grand prize of 19500 Bath.

But anyway its better then to pay 2500 a month for UBC now included for fr..

The reason I was a little non-de script about the actual price is that my installation being for a hotel resort was not straightforward, I need a receiver per channel and can't use a motorised dish, but your price information will be a great benefit to those who are looking at normal options

I had Multichoice installed in the sticks for the same price but the card had to renewed yearly at 10k from Bangkok. Are you sure the same doesn't apply here? If it doesn't then it's a steal in more ways than one.

Now you have me worried I will re-check!

So, does this vietnamese cable show the cricket and rugby?

True would be fine for me personally if they could put on the cricket and rugby. But unfortunately with seven sports channels they don't seem to be able to fit these sports into their schedules. In my opinion this makes them the providers of a pretty poor sports package. Any snooker they show is always months or years old too.

They're good at football, tennis, and golf, but really, why no cricket and rugby? They offered ppv for one ashes series, and i would cease any of my complaints if they did this in the future.

However, they will put on the winter olympics which is a pleasant surprise.

While we've got this thread, are there any other legal options to true that provide a proper sports package?

im a fan of multichoice, more so coz of the sports coverage of rugby really

they also cover the big boxing events at no extra charge

Do they show cricket? Is it legal? How can i go about getting it?!

Supersports Channel 2 from South Africa shows a mass of cricket and rugby and it's on the multichannel package

Why is it better than UBC? For my 2500 baht per month, I get everything I could possibly want, and more.

I also have satelight, but there is no comparison in my opinion. :)

I didn't say it was better I just submitted the information in response to a number of posts asking about alternatives.People can decide what they want and how much they want to pay. The more information you have the better you can make your own choices.

For me it is simple, I have 50 bedrooms in my resort if I want to use True Visions I pay per room, per channel selected, CNN for instance is 338 baht per room, per month. I want to give my guests more choice so I have True, 3 satellites and Vietnam to provide more than 20 options at a price I can afford. In my home I have the True Gold package which works well for me ( as it does for you) except for some shortfall in sports except Premier League, so I also link in to these satellite options

I was not responding to you, but to the person posting above me.

Obviously our needs are different, with you having a resort to think about. Interesting how they work the pricing for someone like you, thanks for all the info.

I'm not at all intersted in sports, but we seem to agree on the particulars for UBC. :D

Here ya go, an alternative..

FYI I have no affiliation.

http://www.jsat.tv/product.htm

Now that looks pretty impressive, although i couldn't see any movie channels on offer. They had espn asia, and i wonder if that's the indian version and therefore puts on the cricket, or whether it's the china version which i think ttruevisions have, and therefore no cricket.

Does anyone have any experience of getting their tv from jsat?

I have UBC..lots of channels that I don't want, but I do get EPL and TCM, MGM and a few more movie channels..its the top package, but I STILL CAN'T GET RUGBY; 6 NATIONS, HEINEKEN CUP, TRI NATIONS, LIONS ETC ETC.

saw a few Internet TV channels offering rugby over the net, but was loath to give credit card details to a bunch of cowboys for mickey mouse reception..

WHERE CAN I get a reliable RUGBY???

Does anyone have any experience of getting their tv from jsat?

I got my dish locally and a Dreambox from Jsat - watched the Aus-Pak ODI yesterday, Australian Open tennis today and will get all the Rugby when the southern hemisphere season starts.

I have UBC..lots of channels that I don't want, but I do get EPL and TCM, MGM and a few more movie channels..its the top package, but I STILL CAN'T GET RUGBY; 6 NATIONS, HEINEKEN CUP, TRI NATIONS, LIONS ETC ETC.

saw a few Internet TV channels offering rugby over the net, but was loath to give credit card details to a bunch of cowboys for mickey mouse reception..

WHERE CAN I get a reliable RUGBY???

You can get masses of rugby on supersports South Africa. check the program listing http://www.supersport.com/content.aspx?id=...t&view=full

most is on Supersports 1 if you look at Saturday you will see 10 hours or more of rugby but note the times are South African

Just gave Jsat a call, next time I hear people complaining about rude customer service from Thais, I'll tell them to call this place.

Spoke to an expat in customer service, and changed my mind. Will definetly not be spending money with this company.

• 2 weeks later...
Seeing posts like this, can't help thinking what a terrible job Turd Visions must have done in rebranding themselves.

P.S. Not that it really matters of course - different name, same crap.

Good point.

What's happened to the European golf ?

It seems that things just get worse

None of those mentioned are any better than UBC and most are a lot worse.

none of thoses mentioned? as in alternative sat. tv providerers?

well it would depend what content you like to watch

im a sports nut and rugby fan, and to me theres no better coverage than Supersports on Multichoice

theres more cricket coverage also there amongst other sports

Good point.

What's happened to the European golf ?

It seems that things just get worse

just a snapshot of golf today on Supersports (times are South Africa, add 5 hours to get Thai time)

post-15912-1265425813_thumb.jpg

Edited by Donnyboy

where do you guys get the channels supersport ?

I just got this mail from JSAT :

Thank you for your email. We regret to advise that we no longer do installation for Supersport package since 1 Feb 2010.

We continue do installation for all available free-to-view packages and pay TV packages i.e. Astro, Telkomvision etc.

where do you guys get the channels supersport ?

thats a touchy subject as we cant discuss anything that breaches illegal activity, but all i can say is look around CM for the satellite dish installers and see what they have. But most problems will arise when the card or set top box needs updating, and trying to get it done in a timely manner, and sods law states it will need updating just before the biggest game of the year :)

Next year I'm moving my whole family to Chiang Mai so I'm also interested in the various options.

My wish list / dream list is:

- A couple of international news channels.

- The standard free to air Thai TV channels.

- Lots of sport for my Thai Sports teacher son (preferably with dual language but not critical if it's only English or only Thai language).

- Lots of Discovery / Animal / Nat Geo type programs, but hopefully with dual language option, or at least English or Thai in subtitles, IMPORTANT.

- Some movie channels, but hopefully with dual language option, or at least English or Thai in subtitles, IMPORTANT.

- Couple of cartoon channels, can be English or Thai.

I'll say again, the above is MY WISH LIST, and of course is not likely to totally happen.

To be honest my many years of UBC/TRUE here in Bangkok leaves me pretty dissatisfied with both their services, and the costs.

Any suggestions for CM greatly appreciated.

One other question. We have bought a home in the Urbanna Village development, Don Chan area. Any members have any knowledge of this development? Most specifically, whether they are installing a specific cable TV provider?

Or perhaps I should also ask this question, is it normal practice for Chiang Mai city village developers to install all the cables, during the construction phase, for a specific TV provider?

And one more, is any member aware of any housing village which has installed a village wide wi-fi facility?

(Perhaps I could mention that I'm aware that this is slowly happening in Bangkok condo buildings and I'm aware that it's just been completed and up and running in one specific housing village in the Jomtien Beach area of Pattaya. My information is that the speed and other factors are excellent, stability is excellent, each home owner who subscribed has paid an up front fee which includes the installation costs across the whole village and each home and access for 4 years. Broken down to a per month fee it's less than 400Baht.)

Edited by scorecard

One other question. We have bought a home in the Urbanna Village development, Don Chan area. Any members have any knowledge of this development? 

You've bought a house here, AND NOW you want to know about the development????  

Thanks for your positive reply.

My sentence was not clear, I admit that. We did in fact do a lot of research of numerous factors, but to be honest, we forgot to check about the cable TV. We've since had a positive reply from the developer.

One other question. We have bought a home in the Urbanna Village development, Don Chan area. Any members have any knowledge of this development? 

You've bought a house here, AND NOW you want to know about the development????  

Thanks for your positive reply.

My sentence was not clear, I admit that. We did in fact do a lot of research of numerous factors, but to be honest, we forgot to check about the cable TV. We've since had a positive reply from the developer.

Only trying to have a bit of fun, guess I forgot an emoticon  :D  But to be honest but not nasty at all, it did sound like you'd bought a house without visiting the area  :)