Fee hikes call for a bit of tit for tat

marty

Bangkok Post 28-10-2003

Fee hikes call for a bit of tit for tat

I would like to take my hat off to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra for raising visa and work permit fees by as much as 400%. This will drive all of the private language schools out of business, which in so doing will get rid of all the unqualified, uncredentialed, illegal Bang Lamphu backpackers who are in Thailand to support habits they would not consider developing in their own countries. This may lure real, qualified teachers to Thailand.

On the other hand, I have taken recent articles and sent them to some powerful congressmen in the US as well as to the director of the US Bureau of Immigration and Naturalisation to see if they can increase visa fees and work permits for Thais in the US, and make them feel the way decent foreigners feel here in Thailand.

I would stipulate that legislation also be passed to make any Thai business in America majority-owned by an American, just as private businesses here are majority owned by Thais.

Steve Hopkins

Can’r see it happening.

I have done the same thing,but it will do no good,So I figure that next year if they make it to hard on me to renew my visa,I will be moving on somewhere else and when my Thai wife retires in about 4 years we will already be set up somewhere else.where we will feel more welcome and will be appreciatred for what good we can do for our country of choice.

Every month some americans deposit money in my american bank for me to buy cloths and shoes and other needed items for the very poor children of thailand in our area,for this we ask nothing,and there is most likely others doing similar things,but we could be doing what little we can in some country that would at least not hate us for being there.

:o

good thinking yeah top teachers going come too thai for 30000 baht

what a joke

better only rich thais learn english i think

hasnt anyone done the math

everyone hates those backpackers

bastards trying get cheap roots and dope

ajans so up themselves its a joke

like they think they will get paid more haha

ajans so up themselves its a joke

like they think they will get paid more haha

? ? ?

and what's with the Username too?

???

:o

Me thinking, of Asian origin and for Indian. Please correct me A.Nation should I be wrong.

If I am, you may have been there some time in your live.

:D