Cars You Would Like

As with most countries, there are very few places you can enjoy the full model range of cars. Many reasons for this, obviously marketing cost, and the market itself are major factors.

I have always loved the "Muscle Cars" The one I would like to buy is the Ford GT. Looks like the one for me.

You can see some cute stuff on the web, where ford has spent millions ---> here

Does anyone else have any ideas ?

everybody love nice and beutiful car, i myself like to import the new Mustang, but then reality kick in, what if the car broke down in the future, need to order some new parts, damnn 3 to 6 month for a new spare parts and import too, i rather sell the piece of crap and get a honda civic if it break down just buy a new one

Saleen S7 would suit me just fine.

Don't know if I would want to see it being sold in Thailand though, because I'm sure as h*ll never going to go out and "pick one up", and it would make me insanely jealous to see someone else driving it! :o

Don't laugh but I want to see cars like the Toyota Prius in Thailand. Fuel prices are going up here and V8 mussel cars might look nice but it's not going to be funny when petrol keeps going up in price. Also, the system used by the Prius is ideal for city use, and in Bangkok you'd get the best out of the system because of all the stopping and starting! (Generates power under breaking).

Anyway I have seen one on the roads here but it would be nice to see them built here (or a cheaper version) so regular folks could afford one. It's not the prettiest car ever (actually it's ugly) but looks aren't everything. Petrol will not get cheaper. Oil is getting harder to find and more people want it.

I got my 911 turbo back in the uk, cost to much duty to bring that to Thailand, worse luck. also they cost double in thailand.

I would love a 911 turbo, The wife would let me buy one too seeing as I work so hard :o

Any idea what they cost here?

and where to buy one?

Thaicoon has got a 911, pics in his gallery, PM him about it.

I'm currently in love with the White Jaguar Daimler in a car showroom across the road from me. Not a great Jag fan but it looks so classy in white and a unique car for out here, especially when I get the PIMP number plates attached. :D

Unfortunately, barely got enough cash for the number plates at the moment, but a man's gotta dream. :o

Edited by bkkmadness

I am fond of the BMW M series.  I do not know if they are sold there to begin with. I doubt I could afford one over there to begin with.  So I will just enjoy mine while I can.

Yes they are.My wife has an E46 330ci Motorsport. And you can also get the M3 and M5 here.

re. hybrids, I read an article in Popular Mechanics that compared hybrid vehicles with comparable deisel vehicles, and found them to get about the same gas mileage, and in some cases the deisels got better mileage. It's all folly though, because at the current rate we'll be out of petroleum in 30 years, and we all know we're not sticking to the current rate. The ethanol folks think they've got a solution, but so far they can't produce it without significant petroleum consumption.

That said, I've recently become a fan of the Mercedes-Benz Unimog; check it.

I drive a Ford van in the States, but over there I'd be happy with a small truck or SUV. I kind of like this guy too.

Edited by stevemarkwell

re. hybrids, I read an article in Popular Mechanics that compared hybrid vehicles with comparable deisel vehicles, and found them to get about the same gas mileage, and in some cases the deisels got better mileage. It's all folly though, because at the current rate we'll be out of petroleum in 30 years, and we all know we're not sticking to the current rate.  The ethanol folks think they've got a solution, but so far they can't produce it without significant petroleum consumption.

Well... this is true. But like I said, in city driving Hybrids come into their own. A diesel ticking over in traffic is pumping out fumes, and although strides have been made with diesel emissions, hybrids are cleaner.

Also regarding it all being folly... are you really suggesting that no effort should be made to conserve energy simply because it's not going to work? I'm not suggesting that hybrid cars are going to solve the problem, but it's a step in the right direction. I simply can't understand attitudes that say, "oh well, nobody else is looking after the environment so I shouldn't even bother trying." And believe it or not a friend of mine said exactly that. Energy requirements will continue to rise as long as people maintain this sort of attitude.

Looking at american car makers recent model line-ups is very telling. They seem really concerned about oil consumption with all the V8 engines out there.

But hey, the world will eventually end anyway so why bother even trying. I'm going to die some day too... so I'll take up smoking today, no point in prolonging things. :o

It is not just the American Car MFG's making huge vehicles. The Japanese are also joining in.

They want that big truck market too.... Granted the are only doing because of the demand for huge needless vehicles. I wish the govt. would tax the mess out of people that drive those things when they have no legitimate need for them.

I am proud to say, both my vehicles are 6 cyl.

Unfortunately some people need bigger engines, although most people in the States at least equate bigger with better, and actually have no need of them.

I don't mean that it's folly to conserve energy, although I can see how you might have thought that's what I meant. I mean that it's folly to put all this time and energy into conserving petroleum when we're still going to run out of it. Is some ways, I hope we increase our consumption to the point that we run out of petroleum as soon as possible -- then we'll have no choice but to develop renewable fuels that don't pollute. We'd better get crackin' though, because when petroleum runs out, it's not just oil and fuel that will need to be replaced, but plastics and all kinds of synthetic materials.

Anyway, I don't want to steer this thread away from the car talk, so I'll leave it at that. If anyone's interested in talking about alternative fuels and alternatives to synthetic materials, maybe we can start a new thread.

Unfortunately some people need bigger engines, although most people in the States at least equate bigger with better, and actually have no need of them.

I don't mean that it's folly to conserve energy, although I can see how you might have thought that's what I meant.  I mean that it's folly to put all this time and energy into conserving petroleum when we're still going to run out of it.  Is some ways, I hope we increase our consumption to the point that we run out of petroleum as soon as possible -- then we'll have no choice but to develop renewable fuels that don't pollute.  We'd better get crackin' though, because when petroleum runs out, it's not just oil and fuel that will need to be replaced, but plastics and all kinds of synthetic materials.

Anyway, I don't want to steer this thread away from the car talk, so I'll leave it at that.  If anyone's interested in talking about alternative fuels and alternatives to synthetic materials, maybe we can start a new thread.

Agree with you, and I understand what you mean. Alternative fuels thread could be interesting. Particularly as Thailand seems to be making it's own efforts in this direction, or is at least making some noise about it.

Back on topic I'd also like to see more small cars available here. Japan has countless small cars to choose from, Thailand seems to have 3! Jazz, Vios, and City. My reasoning here is not just based on environmental or oil usage concerns, but mainly on personal financial constraints.

If money wasn't an issue for me I doubt I could care less about oil consumption and would go for an DB9! :o

If money wasn't an issue for me I doubt I could care less about oil consumption and would go for an DB9!

now you're talking !

get rid of those ugly poser bmw things , those sterile audis , those bland japcars and those old fashioned holdens.

lets put some beauty back on the streets , lets have some automotive art out there.

aston martins , bentleys , porsches , jaguars (but not the x-type) , tvr , 1950's americana from harley earls design studio , citroen ds 19 , facel vegas , 1959 ford zodiacs , 50's rovers and wolseleys and rileys , and last but not least some rolls royce silver clouds.

Don't laugh but I want to see cars like the Toyota Prius in Thailand. Fuel prices are going up here and V8 mussel cars might look nice but it's not going to be funny when petrol keeps going up in price. Also, the system used by the Prius is ideal for city use, and in Bangkok you'd get the best out of the system because of all the stopping and starting! (Generates power under breaking).

Anyway I have seen one on the roads here but it would be nice to see them built here (or a cheaper version) so regular folks could afford one. It's not the prettiest car ever (actually it's ugly) but looks aren't everything. Petrol will not get cheaper. Oil is getting harder to find and more people want it.

Not so sure about the Prius, but the Ford Escape hybrid might be useful here, especially if they made it pluggable too (i.e. plug it into the mains overnight to charge the battery - maybe not even use any petrol at all on the regular drives into the city centre). - Although to do that, you'd probably have to leave the aircon turned off, just open the windows.

The Ford's already built here, so it would "just" be a matter of putting in the hybrid drivetrain.

Pluggable hybrids seem like a good idea at least until fuel cells come around - less pollution, but without the range issues of pure electric cars, and they drive just like a regular car... Obviously diesel hybrids would be even more fuel efficient than petrol ones, but the current hybrids are designed for the US market, where diesel isn't commonly used.

Local Ford Escapes are built in Philipines and imported under AFTA with 5% duty and/or swapped for Ranger pickup trucks.

What they need is a special tax excuse for hybrid cars. Imported they cost about 2mil for Toyota or Honda. VW Tdi has a better mileage for that price.

If Japs will push through their zero tax for vehicles with 3,000+ engines we might see some interesting offers here from Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, or Acura.

That Holden someone mentioned earlier, if they've got big engines, the Aussie-Thai FTA should keep their prices very low. They are sold here under Chevrolet Lumina badge.