Adhd Treatment Ritalin In Chiang Mai Area

kamp

A friends of my has a boy that is diagnosed with adhd from a center in bangkok. He is thai.

He has responded very well to ritalin but they have big problems to get it here in chiang mai. They are at mc cormick hospital and the pharmacy can not get enough ritalin for him. They only get 30 tabletts every second month ore something because the hosiptal say that can't get any more. And he should have used 2 tabletts every day.

Does enyone know about other hospital that can get ritalin or why it is so hard?

It seems to be a problem with ADHD medication in the US. If i remember correctly, the FDA announced precuation on using those tablet due to sudden death in the kids. The thai FDA then will suspend the import of the medication, they will only have supplies until October 2010. You may have a look at Sripat/Suandok hospital or at Suanprung or at any psychiatrist private practice.

Sorry, could not be more helpful.

Thank you so much for your replies.

I talked with the parents to the boy and they told me that they only got 1 month medication at a time when they have them.. And that is not often. And that they need to wait for 2 hour every time..

So it is so strange that you can get 100 at a time.

I can get a good amount of ritalin very quickly and easily from bumrungrad in Bangkok, when I was diagnosed, when he talks about the ritalin in regards to quantity, he handed me a paper and said "how many do you want". 100 was no problem.

I hear from my friend just now that piracetam combined with choline (anything with B vitamins has this) works well as a supplement available over-the-counter as an alternative treatment.

I can get a good amount of ritalin very quickly and easily from bumrungrad in Bangkok, when I was diagnosed, when he talks about the ritalin in regards to quantity, he handed me a paper and said "how many do you want". 100 was no problem.

I hear from my friend just now that piracetam combined with choline (anything with B vitamins has this) works well as a supplement available over-the-counter as an alternative treatment.

Interesting; anybody else has experience with Piracetam besides "I heard from a friend".

What would be the generic name of this medicine in Thailand, its cost and is it sold legally over the counter here?

Edited by jts-khorat

Piracetam is available in Thailand over the counter under multiple brand names. It is used for memory loss associated with aging and other organic brain diseases. There is no evidence that it is effective in ADD and the mechanism of action is such that it would not make sense for it to be.

In addition to medication such as ritalin, high protein/low card diets are helpful in ADD by ensuring a steady supply of glucose to the brain which aids attention. In particular should avoid processed carbs, they may help initially but will have a harmful rebound effect.

There is also some evidence that magnesium supplements may be helpful in some people.

Deejah, you are very unlikely to find what you need in Pattaya, probably need to come to Bangkok. Perhaps CZGlory could post or PM you the name of the doctor at Bumrungrad who diagnosed him. Careful diagnosis is essential as taking ADD meds for symptoms actually caused by something else (eg BPD) can make matters much worse.

Piracetam is available in Thailand over the counter under multiple brand names. It is used for memory loss associated with aging and other organic brain diseases. There is no evidence that it is effective in ADD and the mechanism of action is such that it would not make sense for it to be.

Thank you.