Getting Married In The Uk.

callum06

I have been together with my partner for 6 years, she is Thai and we have 2 children. For some reason we never found the time to get married but have always talked about it. We are going back to the UK for 3 weeks in April and wanted to get married over there.

So my question is, what papers does my partner need? what papers do i need? we will be returning to Thailand after our 3 week holiday, so it isn't a plan to extend our stay (not with the weather in Scotland).

Any advice or tips would be great.

Cheers

Callum06

Hi Callum06,

We got married in the UK but in your position I'm not quite sure about the paperwork as you already have 2 kids.

We needed to get a Fiance Visa from the UK Embassy in Thailand and also papers to say she is free to marry.

To get this visa is a bit of a nightmare as they wanted a lot of documents ie bank statments, proof of abode etc etc .

I think your best bet is to contact the UK embassy in Bangkok and see what they have to say.

Good Luck !

Hi Callum 06

For you to get married over in the uk,

you will need to get a fiancée visa,

You can not get married on a holiday visa, other wise

the government would lose a lot of visa fees.

It would be cheaper to get married in Thailand

and have a church blessing back in the UK

I went the fiancée visa 6 years ago

All the best

Templer

Hi Callum,

You do not need a fiancee visa to get married in the UK, you need a "visiting to get married visa" (not sure exactly what this is called). A fiancee visa is if you're intending to settle in the UK.

See:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/in...isitors#9248746

and click on the link: "Special visitors: Visitors coming to get married"

These all apply to civil ceremonies (registry offices).

A few years ago, it was the case that if you were marrying in a Church of England ceremony because this is the established church (presumably this would be Church of Scotland in Scotland), you didn't need a special visa, an ordinary Visitor Visa was OK, but I don't know if this is still the case. You'd have to check with the vicar.

Anyway, congratulations and good luck!

I think it is safe to say you do not have your visas yet . i don't know if the time taking to approve visas has changed, but i would check on the length of time taking , maybe you had better get a move on if you want to be here for April , best of Luck.