Need Help Ubuntu In Pattaya

alex999

Yes I'm a Quad here for 3 months and if anyone is wondering how I'm using a computer then look up Smartnav by NaturalPoint for more info on guiding the cursor using head movements.

Linux now has a similar program which uses the webcam and its called Eviacam. It was developed in Catalonia and is free of charge. I have Ubuntu 9.10 installed along with Windows 7 and I am looking for someone to help me install it.

If you are in Pattaya could you spare a bit of time and help this Quad to get onto Linux? There is very little in the way of these types of assistive technologies for Linux because of the costs but the Eviacam looks to be a success so far.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi, have you checked the page here: http://eviacam.sourceforge.net/eviacam.php

Linux, and especially Ubuntu (which I admittedly have little experience), is quite user-friendly these days.

It looks like you need a webcam that is compatible with Linux, and in your case is supported by Ubuntu. note the caveat they insert about certain webcams based on a particular chip.

If you haven't got one already, I would get a Logitech one. Something relatively mainstream. Do a bit of research and check for the support. Usually with Linux drivers/support it's sometimes not a good idea to get the "latest and greatest", but get something based on fairly well-known (hence supported) technology.

They have a small forum on some cam models here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/eviacam/forums/forum/913147

So assuming you have your webcam, and it's plugged into your Ubuntu host, check if it is being picked up by a webcam app (there's bound to be one installed by default in Ubuntu).

Then download the "pre-compiled binary" from the site. Ubuntu is Debian-based, so you'll need the .deb file (not sure what host you have but let's strongly assume you need the i386 v1.2 .deb file)

For installing .deb files read here: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-6365.html

Follow the instructions about setting up your cam via the link in the first paragraph.

As for running the application itself, you'll probably need to launch it from the console (assuming it does not install itself into the system menus).

You'll simply need to open a terminal window and type the name of the executable. I don't know what it is called, but try 'viacam' or 'eviacam'.

If that doesn't work, type 'which viacam' or 'which eviacam' and see what feedback you get - copy and paste the path that contains a 'bin' or 'sbin' element and see if that runs the application.

Just post something here and I'm sure others can help. As you already have Ubuntu installed, that's most the work already done.

Hope this helps.

I'm booked up tomorrow, and have an overnight visit to Chanthaburi with a visa run on Thursday/Friday, but am back here in Ban Chang, Rayong Friday night, (hopefully) and have a meeting on Saturday at noon, but my time is free for Sunday and the coming week.

If you would like to arrange a time when you have two hours to spare, I can ride up to Pattaya with my trusty laptop and Ubuntu CDs (not that they'd be required for this I assume) and help to get the system running for the sake of Ubuntu and Linux. No charge.

PM me if you would like to exchange phone numbers to arrange a time and a place to meet.

Either way, thanks for using Ubuntu and good luck with finding the right solution.

I have anew 18.4 inch HP HDX Laptop with an Nvidea 9600 card. Built in cam which works with one of the cam progs. Kamozo or something like that. The others don't work but I haven't tried Cheese yet since I need help etc.

I know Ubuntu can install Debs and I tried to but got a big red error about dependencies I think. There is info in the readme. My problem is tar balls and I have read up on them it's just that the cd commands don't work for me..I do this in Vbox to try and practice. I unzipped Eviacam to my downloads folder in home,it's the only thing in there.

So I type cd /downloads with and without the slash even with sudo and it tells me dir or file doesn't exist. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Alex

I have anew 18.4 inch HP HDX Laptop with an Nvidea 9600 card. Built in cam which works with one of the cam progs. Kamozo or something like that. The others don't work but I haven't tried Cheese yet since I need help etc.

I know Ubuntu can install Debs and I tried to but got a big red error about dependencies I think. There is info in the readme. My problem is tar balls and I have read up on them it's just that the cd commands don't work for me..I do this in Vbox to try and practice. I unzipped Eviacam to my downloads folder in home,it's the only thing in there.

So I type cd /downloads with and without the slash even with sudo and it tells me dir or file doesn't exist. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex,

There's a few things from the above that are not clear to me. I'm sure it's more convenient for someone to be there in person to sort it out.

But I will try regardless, making a few assumptions:

- You are running Ubuntu via VBox (VirtualBox by Sun?) under Windows7

- You have mouse/keyboard control through VBox of Ubuntu (I know this is the whole point of this experiment...)

- You are able to run a browser in the Ubuntu VBox session

now in the browser in Ubuntu, go to: http://sourceforge.net/projects/eviacam/files/

from there, right-click the eviacam_1.2_i386_etch.deb file and save to a location that you can remember, eg. /var/tmp

cd to /var/tmp

run Ubuntu installer on /var/tmp/<downloaded_file>

post any errors here, but I noted that the listed dependencies in the .dsc are:

debhelper (>= 5), libwxgtk2.6-dev (>= 2.6.3) | libwxgtk2.8-dev, libgtk2.0-dev, libcvaux-dev (>= 1.0), libhighgui1 (>= 1.0), libpng12-dev, libxtst-dev, libxext-dev

Hi Alex,

Just on this, I think it's possible you downloaded this on the Windows7 side and then assumed you would be able to access it from Ubuntu?

Sorry, if that's not the case, but that seems like the obvious explanation.

The two OS's would exist on separate partitions, so the easiest thing is if you have downloaded to somewhere on your Ubuntu install as that is where we want to install the file.

As for '/downloads': Paths in Linux/Unix are defined as "relative" or "absolute", with 'downloads' = relative, and '/downloads' (slash-downloads) = absolute.

If given a relative path, the system adds the path as an extension to your current dir.

If given an absolute path, the system searches that path, starting at root (ie. /)

Hmm...I'm making something simple sound very complex. Maybe this helps: http://www.physics.utah.edu/~detar/lessons...ntro/node2.html

OK Thanks I will try that. 

Just to clear things up about what I'm running. I have 7 and Uuntu Super OS both installed on the HD. I've set (not me personally) the Grub to boot to 7 by default. I guided the person to the start-up manager which is download-able.  Very simple to set boot order.

I'm using Vbox on 7 to practice while I wait for someone to help me intall Eviacam on the installed Ubuntu.It's the only way for me to use Linux for now. Also I know the win32 Eviacam won't work in Linux. 

So now I will attempt to practice the deb file installation so that if I ever do get on Linux with Eviacam I'll know more because I need to. This I'll do in Vbox so I don't expect the cam to work but I want to at least be able to install on my own. If Eviacam can work in my installed Ubuntu I will be delighted. I've been waiting for a very long time.

/var/tmp was just an example I used. Replace that path with wherever you downloaded the .deb file to.

So for a start, you need to specifically tell me/us where and how you are downloading the eviacam .deb?

Like I already stated, if you are not downloading within Ubuntu, then the downloaded file will reside on your Windows7 partition and you won't be able to "see it" from the Ubuntu side AFAIK.

Assuming you could clarify the above, and you know which path you saved the .deb file to, try something like:

> cd <path_where_you_saved_eviacam_installer>

> dpkg -i <name_of_eviacam_deb_file>

If that fails, post the output of the dpkg command here, if possible.

Edited by schmutzie

I'm going to have to get back to you. I installed successfully or so I thought but it didn't appear anywhere in the menus. I'm going to VMware to install Ubuntu.Vbox gives me a small box to work in and there is a real jumble with kvkbd keyboard hogging the screen. I did install using the commands but I never saw it anywhere I'm going to try again in VM. I'll be back.

OK, sounds good.

Did you try running it, as I suggested in my first reply, ie. try just typing

> viacam

or

> eviacam

in the terminal? If it doesn't produce anything, then try

> which viacam

or

> which eviacam

and then see if you can deduce from the output from those commands where the executable lives in your Ubuntu install.

OK I had to switch to VMWare because the max res in Vvbox was 800X600 and it was just too crazy, took 2 hours and too much frustration. So VM goes full screen so it's much easier. I did the install and this time it produced the following. I willl try updating again,

alex100@ubuntu:~$ cd /var/tmp

alex100@ubuntu:/var/tmp$ sudo dpkg -i eviacam_1.2_i386_etch.deb

Selecting previously deselected package eviacam.

(Reading database ... 177788 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking eviacam (from eviacam_1.2_i386_etch.deb) ...

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of eviacam:

eviacam depends on libavcodec0d (>= 0.cvs20060823); however:

Package libavcodec0d is not installed.

eviacam depends on libavformat0d (>= 0.cvs20060823); however:

Package libavformat0d is not installed.

eviacam depends on libcv1; however:

Package libcv1 is not installed.

eviacam depends on libcvaux1; however:

Package libcvaux1 is not installed.

eviacam depends on libdc1394-13; however:

Package libdc1394-13 is not installed.

eviacam depends on libhighgui1; however:

Package libhighgui1 is not installed.

eviacam depends on libraw1394-8; however:

Package libraw1394-8 is not installed.

eviacam depends on libwxbase2.6-0 (>= 2.6.3.2.1.5); however:

Package libwxbase2.6-0 is not installed.

eviacam depends on libwxgtk2.6-0 (>= 2.6.3.2.1.5); however:

Package libwxgtk2.6-0 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing eviacam (--install):

I've updated everything, newest kernel etc and still get this:

alex100@ubuntu:~$ cd /var/tmp/

alex100@ubuntu:/var/tmp$ sudo dpkg -i eviacam_1.2_i386_etch.deb

[sudo] password for alex100:

Selecting previously deselected package eviacam.

(Reading database ... 182619 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking eviacam (from eviacam_1.2_i386_etch.deb) ...

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of eviacam:

eviacam depends on libavcodec0d (>= 0.cvs20060823); however:

Package libavcodec0d is not installed.

eviacam depends on libavformat0d (>= 0.cvs20060823); however:

Package libavformat0d is not installed.

eviacam depends on libcv1; however:

Package libcv1 is not installed.

eviacam depends on libcvaux1; however:

Package libcvaux1 is not installed.

eviacam depends on libdc1394-13; however:

Package libdc1394-13 is not installed.

eviacam depends on libhighgui1; however:

Package libhighgui1 is not installed.

eviacam depends on libraw1394-8; however:

Package libraw1394-8 is not installed.

eviacam depends on libwxbase2.6-0 (>= 2.6.3.2.1.5); however:

Package libwxbase2.6-0 is not installed.

eviacam depends on libwxgtk2.6-0 (>= 2.6.3.2.1.5); however:

Package libwxgtk2.6-0 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing eviacam (--install):

dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...

Errors were encountered while processing:

eviacam

alex100@ubuntu:/var/tmp$

OK, well done for trying. I kinda worried that dkpg was too vague to be used here. I should have suggested apt-get instead, but thought dkpg was worth a go.

If you're feeling more adventurous, I'd google a bit on apt-get and how to use it (you always just type 'man apt-get' to get the sometimes not so helpful unix manual pages). I think you can work it out.

How did you 'update everything'?

AFAIK, you probably need to add the location of the eviacam installer location to the list of sources for apt-get in /etc/apt/sources.list

Then, without any promises:

> apt-get install eviacam

should make apt-get try and install eviacam and to try and solve the dependencies,

alternatively, you could try and run apt-get on those individual packages descibed above, eg.:

> apt-get install libhighgui1

etc. etc. - and then retry:

> apt-get install eviacam

again, I doubt this will work unless you've previously added the eviacam location to the list of sources that apt-get checks.

One thing I did spot was dkpg can screw up a bit when it runs into dependencies and try and install the package regardless, and create a little mess.

But let's assume all is well and try apt-get first.

Surprised no-one else is chiming in here. I'm sure there are better Ubuntu/Linux advisers than me, but thanks for playing along so far!

Synaptic and update freeze screen since yesterday, now work. It's always something insane. Then today keyboard (kvkbd) stops typing , now works. All this in VMware.

On another strange note we booted the computer into Ubuntu on the drive to do updates. No keyboard works. I can't keep up with the problems, like being sabotaged. Days on end of stupid unending probs. I installed opencv then tried eviacam again. Same dependency problems.

Edited by alex999

1. AFAIK, you probably need to add the location of the eviacam installer location to the list of sources for apt-get in /etc/apt/sources.list
    Then, without any promises:

Yes I need to do this it seems but how do I go about it?

I'm assuming this is a flat text file that you can edit, try:

> cat /etc/apt/sources.list

if the output is simply a list of paths/web locations (as in web repositories) you'll just need to add the location of the eviacam installer (I'm guessing here).

To do this, simply open the file in a text editor, eg. nedit:

> cp -p /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak

> nedit /etc/apt/sources.list

add the path to the eviacam installer (eg. /var/tmp), save the file and close nedit

Sunday is fast approaching and assuming the other poster is booked to help you out, maybe you are better off waiting for that.

Don't worry, whilst all this seems troublesome, it's really not as hard as it sounds. There are many howto's on the web which I'm sure you can locate.

You could also try and mail the guy that actually makes/wrote eviacam, but he will most likely assume you are confident doing the above stuff.

It's frustrating, but you're learning...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1...ht=libavcodec0d

After reading the discussion above between our trusty developer, Mr Mauri, and the perplexed Mr Kihlian, back in June last year, I seem to have somehow contracted the impression that we maybe flogging a dead horse.

I shall keep trying to debug this seemingly alpha-level utility, and have posted another request for help on the Ubuntu forum, as well as messaging the developer through Sourceforge, but am also now on the lookout for other open-source alternatives. Gnome-Mousetrap seemed to install on my Ubuntu 9.10 here quite smoothly this morning, although I must buy myself a cheap web-cam on Friday to test it out and see if it works.

Don't give up yet, old son. We'll have this little IT conundrum mastered by the weekend's end.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Don't give up yet, old son. We'll have this little IT conundrum mastered by the weekend's end.

:)

I'm not far off giving up by now, actually.

After quite a bit of research into this matter over the past week and a bit, it seemed sensible to adapt to the Ubuntu standard forehead-mouse utility known as Mousetrap.

I have since learned quite a bit more about this Mousetrap software and learned that it is also rather alpha/source-code quality, but eventually came up with this:

#! /bin/bash
echo UPDATING APT SOURCES ...
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.pretrap
sudo cp etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
echo INSTALLING GNOME-COMMON ...
sudo apt-get -y install gnome-common
echo INSTALLING LIBGLIB2.0 ...
sudo apt-get -y install libglib2.0-dev
echo INSTALLING PYTHON2.6-DEV ...
sudo apt-get -y install python2.6-dev
echo INSTALLING PYTHON-XLIB ...
sudo apt-get -y install python-xlib
echo INSTALLING PYTHON-OPENCV ...
sudo apt-get -y install python-opencv
echo COPYING MOUSETRAP FILES TO USER HOME DIRECTORY, INCLUDING AUTOSTART ...
sudo cp -a etc/skel/* ~/
sudo cp -a etc/skel/.* ~/
cd ~/bin/mousetrap
echo MOUSETRAP AUTOGEN.SH ...
sudo ./autogen.sh
echo MOUSETRAP MAKE ...
sudo make
echo MOUSETRAP MAKE INSTALL ...
sudo make install

The copy of the updated sources.list adds multiverse, universe, and partner. Inside etc/skel is a bin. directory with the downloaded mousetrap sourcecode, a .config/autostart entry for mousetrap.desktop to open at login, and the ~/.mousetrap/userSettings.cfg file for a fairly standard beginning to mousetrap that opens up and runs at boot, even from the Live-Cd so I've discovered after further testing.

I re-installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a new partition and downloaded tthe .zip file for the script and source and config files from my website at this archive and loaded and ran it, and it worked fine, although it takes more practice than I have time for to run it accurately enough to activate the standard Dwell-Click function without lots of frustration.

I've passed the 4Mb zip file onto Alex the OP, and it seems to install fine, and also runs Mousetrap on startup, like it does for me, but where I have trouble keeping the mouse cursor in the centre of the screen, OP can't get the cursor to move.

Can anyone work out why this same installation works for me from a standard Ubuntu 9.10 installation but won't move the cursor on his SuperOS installation?

I'm guessing it must be something he's configured in the settings previously, or else this is just one of my unlucky days.

• 2 weeks later...

OP found the right repository for eViacam at long last and sent me the web address for a site in Spanish, http://lihuen.linti.unlp.edu.ar/index.php/EViacam

I assume that's Spanish anyway. It turns out it was a matter of adding the non-verified repo into the /etc/apt/sources.list file, then an update, and it installed straight from the .deb file, easy as pi.

So, from inside a terminal,

cd /etc/apt

sudo gedit sources.list

The line to add to the sources.list is:

deb http://repo.lihuen.linti.unlp.edu.ar/lihuen lenny/lihuen3 main

then simply type:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install eviacam

eViacam should install from there, and it's quite a bit more neat and tidy than mousetrap, now that it seems to be working.

• 3 weeks later...