New Restaurant Near Finished

Hello to all. I have done a forum search, but couldn't really find the answers to the following questions. My wife and I have nearly finished building a small, rustic, low profile restaurant next to the entrance of our "Moo Barn". This is entirely her operation and idea. I have no financial interest in it. She has done it all her self(with me carting rocks and rubbish away, along with some construction help). I would appreciate any advice on what I am legally allowed to do to help her. I know that without a work permit, I can not sell, serve or cook(not that I can cook anyway!), but am thinking more along the lines of going to the local market early each morning and picking up fresh veges, meat and fruit etc, as that will save my wife carrying what will be quite a heavy load and save her some time too. Am I allowed to wash dishes for her? Help clean up? Talk to the customers? Sorry, but I have no experience at all with this situation. Any good advice appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by newtronbom

Legally speaking anything that speaks of work requires a work permit. As I say this going to the market is probably OK but any kind of physical work of any kind in the restaurant requires a work permit, cooking, washing dishes, taking orders, serving and cleaning up. Talk all you want, no problem. :)

All aliens engaged in any kind of work in Thailand must hold a valid work permit, issued principally by the Department of Employment of the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare pursuant to the Alien Employment Act B.E. 2521 (A.D. 1978).

The term "work" is defined very broadly, covering both physical and mental activities, whether or not for wages or other remuneration. Working without a valid work permit even for a day is a criminal offense.

The validity period of a work permit is governed by the holder's immigration status, i.e. a work permit usually expires on the last day of the period of stay allowed by immigration officials as shown on the alien's visa. Aliens holding transit and tourist visas are not permitted to work.

Link:

If you are seen to work you could be fined or given community work. In a friendly village where you make an effort to get on with people and the local police a blind eye may be turned on the small things you do, but beware of jealous are vindictive neighbours and competitors. Humping stock is usually acceptable. Carrying out some work out of sight is OK too. Stocking shelves, tidying and rotating stock (not a common practice here) is OK. Don't serve or pack customers' bags. Don't clean. Don't do anything at all right in front of people.

Use your time to spot what someone else might do and to make sure that everything is done properly, including licences and insurance.

Don't make your presence too obvious because some village folk assume that a farang shop is expensive.

The activities that you list are OK, I would say, but always be aware of the boundaries and keep within them.

Good luck to you and your wife with the venture.

If you are seen to work you could be fined or given community work. In a friendly village where you make an effort to get on with people and the local police a blind eye may be turned on the small things you do, but beware of jealous are vindictive neighbours and competitors. Humping stock is usually acceptable. Carrying out some work out of sight is OK too. Stocking shelves, tidying and rotating stock (not a common practice here) is OK. Don't serve or pack customers' bags. Don't clean. Don't do anything at all right in front of people.

Use your time to spot what someone else might do and to make sure that everything is done properly, including licences and insurance.

Don't make your presence too obvious because some village folk assume that a farang shop is expensive.

The activities that you list are OK, I would say, but always be aware of the boundaries and keep within them.

Good luck to you and your wife with the venture.

Thank you for the advice and good wishes. As you say, the "jealousy" thing is a fact of life here to be aware of. Have seen this ruin many good things and will be very wary of it. I also agree that I can not "be seen" to be helping around the shop, except maybe after closing. The local BIB around here all know me well and are usually quite decent. They are never off duty though and I am sure they won't be adverse to an odd hand out. I have a small advantage in that I am a "Gummagun Moo Barn"(kind of an administrator) for our village, so I get more respect than is usual for us Falangs who live here. I guess I will just have to be extra careful. Thanks to you all for the help and advice on this.

Edited by newtronbom

All aliens engaged in any kind of work in Thailand must hold a valid work permit, issued principally by the Department of Employment of the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare pursuant to the Alien Employment Act B.E. 2521 (A.D. 1978).

The term "work" is defined very broadly, covering both physical and mental activities, whether or not for wages or other remuneration. Working without a valid work permit even for a day is a criminal offense.

The validity period of a work permit is governed by the holder's immigration status, i.e. a work permit usually expires on the last day of the period of stay allowed by immigration officials as shown on the alien's visa. Aliens holding transit and tourist visas are not permitted to work.

Link:

Thanks for that good link. I don't think I will look at applying for a work permit, unless my wife starts making serious money. She has family coming up here end of next month, so hopefully they will take on some of the load. I do speak fluent - almost "native" - Thai, so I guess I will stick to carrying and chatting.