Kanchanaburi

nisha0901

On my first ever trip to Kanchanaburi I did a day tour with one of the local companies. Hired a couple of guides with a Land Rover and did an elephant ride, raft trip, hel_l Fire Pass and a trip back to Kan on the train from SaiYok.

I now live here so must have made an impression on me!

Erewan Falls are really nice but not sure how much water is in them now as it's the dry season.

River Kwai Hotel on the main road through town is good and there are several good guest houses on the tourist strip by the river. A friend of mine recommends the 'Noble Knight' after his stay there.

Local tours are easy to arrange at the hotels/guesthouses and pretty good value now as to be honest they seem pretty desperate for the business here.

Edited by edwinchester

Hi 'nisha0901',

A one night stand :D

Really, as Kan has so many things to see and do, hardly worth the effort. :D Save your fuel money and come when you have more time on your hands like a week or two. :D

Meantime have a look what Kan has to offer

Kan as we know it

You could also have a look in the 'Central Thailand Forum" and ask there. :)

Sawadee :D

Edited by Kan Win

On my first ever trip to Kanchanaburi I did a day tour with one of the local companies. Hired a couple of guides with a Land Rover and did an elephant ride, raft trip, hel_l Fire Pass and a trip back to Kan on the train from SaiYok.

I now live here so must have made an impression on me!

Erewan Falls are really nice but not sure how much water is in them now as it's the dry season.

River Kwai Hotel on the main road through town is good and there are several good guest houses on the tourist strip by the river. A friend of mine recommends the 'Noble Knight' after his stay there.

Local tours are easy to arrange at the hotels/guesthouses and pretty good value now as to be honest they seem pretty desperate for the business here.

It's been quite a few years since I was in Kanchanaburi, so I can't give you much help with hotels...although when I was there they were somewhat limited. I, too, stayed at the River Kwai Hotel, and at least at that time it was pretty good but out-dated even then.

Erawan Falls NP is very nice. There's a balance between being their during the dry season (when the falls are far less spectacular), or the wet season (when the hike to the upper falls is well nigh impossible due to high water).

Some of the temples in the area -- particularly the cave temples -- are worth a visit, and the bridge is a must-see, even though it is nothing at all like the movie. And yes, Hellfire Pass is well worth the easy hike!!!