The Legal Age In Thailand Is 20

chiangmaikelly

what age do you think a woman can...  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There has been a lot of discussion about legal ages for working and other things in Thailand recently on a number of other threads.

So, I thought I would post this. As far as I know the legal age for working in a bar and serving drinks or dancing is 20 years old. I base this on what cops have told me and the fact that anytime a place gets raided anyone under 20 suddenly disappears.

I also think the legal age for sex without parental consent is 20. I base this also on what police have told me and some arrests I have seen of Thai men who kept a girl over 18 but under 20 out over night. The parents got upset and the police arrested the man and held him until he settled the problem with the parents.

Of course I could be wrong but I am unable to find a Thai person or bar owner who disagrees with me.

I am always willing to learn something new. If anyone has better information on the topic please don't be afraid to let me know.

You could be right for the first paragraph, this would depend on labor law.

I don't have a translation at hand, so maybe someone could post a link?

For sex without parental consent, refer to the Penal Code Amendment Act of 1997 Section 283bis.

“Section 283 bis. Whoever brings a person over fifteen years but not yet over

eighteen years of age for an indecent sexual purpose, even with the consent of that person,

shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding five years, or a fine not exceeding ten

thousand baht, or both.

If the commission of the offence in the first paragraph is committed against a person

not yet over fifteen years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment not

exceeding seven years, or a fine not exceeding fourteen thousand baht, or both.

Whoever conceals the person who was brought away as provided in the first, or

second paragraph, shall be punished with the punishment accordingly provided in the first, or

second paragraph.

The commission of the offence as provided in the first and third paragraph against a

person over fifteen years of age is the compoundable offence.”

So that makes 18 the legal age for sex.

Link: http://www.baliprocess.net/Files/Legislati...ndPenalCode.pdf

Edited by manarak

Fact.............The legal age to drink in Thailand is 20.

Fact.............The legal age to work in Thailand is 18.

Fact.............The legal age for consensual sex in Thailand is 18

If you buy a drink for a Thai national under the age of twenty you are breaking the law.

It is not against the law to work as a cashier or cashiers helper in a bar at 18yrs of age.

A female can work behind a bar but must not accept or take drinks from customers.

It’s already been shown that the legal age for consensual sex in Thailand is 18.

If you buy a drink for a Thai national under the age of twenty you are breaking the law.

It is not against the law to work as a cashier or cashiers helper in a bar at 18yrs of age.

A female can work behind a bar but must not accept or take drinks from customers.

It's already been shown that the legal age for consensual sex in Thailand is 18.

No you are wrong. It has not been shown that the legal age of consent without parental permission is 18. You can go to jail for having sex with a woman under 20.

Any beer bar or go go owner will tell you the legal age for working is 20. There may be an exception for being a cashier.

Many of you guys out there have an ex bar girl or dancer sitting next to you as you read this. Ask them what age went running for the door when the bib showed up.

Warning%20-%20legal%20opinions.gif

Edited by Maestro
Added warning - Maestro

For sex without parental consent, refer to the Penal Code Amendment Act of 1997 Section 283bis.

"Section 283 bis. Whoever brings a person over fifteen years but not yet over

eighteen years of age for an indecent sexual purpose, even with the consent of that person,

shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding five years, or a fine not exceeding ten

thousand baht, or both.

If the commission of the offence in the first paragraph is committed against a person

not yet over fifteen years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment not

second paragraph, shall be punished with the punishment accordingly provided in the first, or

second paragraph.

The commission of the offence as provided in the first and third paragraph against a

person over fifteen years of age is the compoundable offence."

It does not say anything about the person over 18 but under 20. It only specifies the punishment if the person is under 18 but over 15. Read it again. No mention of parental consent for sex. Parental consent is very important under Thai law.

And my understanding working in a bar is 18 plus the person may drink for that is part of the job, but to be a customer that person must be 20.

The legal age to drink in Thailand is 20 irrespective of where you work and working in a bar at 18 is no exception to the drink law.

If you buy a lady a drink working in a bar whose 18yrs old then you are breaking the law.

The police tend to enforce the age limit law in Thai discos rather than farang run bars.

A Thai female bar owner i know not that long ago paid a hefty fine for employing an under age female for the purpose of accepting drinks from customers.

The lass was 19 years old.

Is this law only applied When a Farang is involved ?.

I personally know of more than one 14 year old who have had babies to Thai Lads in my wife's village.

Selective Law ( No money No enforcement ) Or did they become pregnant without Sex

It's already been shown that the legal age for consensual sex in Thailand is 18.

No you are wrong. It has not been shown that the legal age of consent without parental permission is 18. You can go to jail for having sex with a woman under 20.

Any beer bar or go go owner will tell you the legal age for working is 20. There may be an exception for being a cashier.

Many of you guys out there have an ex bar girl or dancer sitting next to you as you read this. Ask them what age went running for the door when the bib showed up.

Sorry you wrong as the legal age to work in Thailand is 18.

The legal age to accept drinks is 20.

A female of 18 cannot work as a go-go lady or a hostess accepting drinks from customers.

Your getting a bit mixed up with whose allowed to do what in a bar situation.

thousand baht, or both.

Unless my eye-sights failing to me it states clearly that 18 is the age to look for..........."But not yet over eighteen it clearly states"

Edited by Maestro

No. That is not a fact. The legal age to to drink in Thailand is 18. The legal age to enter a bar or club is 20. When you buy alcohol at Tesco Lotus they check to see if you're 18. When you try to go to RCA or Thonglor they check to see if you are 20. If you're 18 you can legally buy alcohol and drink at home all day long. You can not have a beer in a bar however.

thousand baht, or both.

second paragraph.

It does not say anything about the person over 18 but under 20. It only specifies the punishment if the person is under 18 but over 15. Read it again. No mention of parental consent for sex. Parental consent is very important under Thai law.

It doesn't mention any punishment because there is none.

You can also read the full penal code and find no article outlawing sex with people under 20.

i.e. sex with people over 18 is OK.

You won't find any Laws in any country that say explicitly that sex is ok from a certain age.

You will only find bans on sex below a certain age, or you may also find provisions which cancel the punishment based on age differences.

if it was not, there would be some provision in the penal code.

Edited by manarak

thousand baht, or both.

second paragraph.

It doesn't mention any punishment because there is none.

You can also read the full penal code and find no article outlawing sex with people under 20.

i.e. sex with people over 18 is OK.

if it was not, there would be some provision in the penal code.

You read the whole penal code and precedent law in Thai!  I am impressed.  It must be those nasty cops and judges acting on their own then.  I however will wait for some real Thai legal opinions as my experience with the Thai judicial system point to the law without parental consent being 20.  I also think you can get married at 16 with parental consent.  But again maybe I am wrong.  I will apologize profusely if that turns out to be the case.  Still no bar owners with a legal eagle on staff or at least one Thai wife willing to put forth a Thai opinion?

Edited by Maestro
Added warning - Maestro

I think this could be related to the workers being illegal workers (i.e. not declared for health benefits and taxes).

As they aren't officially workers, and as they aren't allowed in a bar if below 20, they run for the door.

“Section 283 bis. Whoever brings a person over fifteen years but not yet over

thousand baht, or both.

second paragraph.

person over fifteen years of age is the compoundable offence.”

How do they define "indecent sexual purpose". This could simply imply sodomy. I don't read this as "sex".

I'm certainly no expert since I've never tested the boundaries, but I've heard 15 with consent, 18 with consent and money for sex, 18 to work in a go go, but 20 to visit a go go.

No. That is not a fact. The legal age to to drink in Thailand is 18. The legal age to enter a bar or club is 20. When you buy alcohol at Tesco Lotus they check to see if you're 18. When you try to go to RCA or Thonglor they check to see if you are 20. If you're 18 you can legally buy alcohol and drink at home all day long. You can not have a beer in a bar however.

It still puts the legal age to drink in Thailand at 20 but technically your correct at what age you can buy drinks other than at a bar, club or disco but the examples given have been given with relation to bar work.

Your correct in saying that the legal age to buy drink in Thailand at say a 7/11 is 18.

Two different examples buy the law stays the same.

I am not interested in the age of consent. I know what it is. I am simply tired of all the misinformation that gets put out about, I heard this or I know that.

If a Thai wants to bust your nuts for dating his 19 year old daughter you are going to the monkey house. Not a rice farmer from Issan but if you get involved on the wrong end of a hi so dad you are in trouble.

Anyone who has lived here for any length of time is aware of this. The only people who don’t know either live under a rock or are just visitors and think after a couple of weeks they know all about Thailand.

You can also get popped for balling someone’s wife.

Any bar owner who peddles his employees is aware of the 20 year old prohibition about ladies taking money for sex or serving drinks. And fool who lives in Pattaya knows which bars follow the rule and which don’t.

That's not what you said in the OP:

I am always willing to learn something new. If anyone has better information on the topic please don't be afraid to let me know.

Well here's a legal lesson for you, from the Thai Prostitution Prevention and Suppression Act (my italics):

The " Prostitution Prevention and Suppression Act ". In this Act " Prostitution " means

" The acceptance of sexual intercourse, the acceptance of any other act, or the commission of any

act for sexual gratification of another person in a promiscuous manner, in order to gain financial or

other benefit, no matter whether the person who accepts such act and the person who commits

such act are of the same or opposite sex "

According to the Prostitution Prevention and Suppression Act, " child " means a person who is not

yet over 18 years of age.

Section 8 of the " Prostitution Prevention and Suppression Act " states

" Whoever, for sexual gratification of that person or of the third person, commits sexual intercourse

or any other act against a person who is over fifteen (15) years but not yet over eighteen (18) years

of age, with or without his or her consent, in a place for prostitution, shall be punished with

imprisonment of one to three years and a fine of twenty thousand to sixty thousand baht.

If the commission of the offence as specified in the first paragraph is committed against a child not

over fifteen (15) years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of two to six years

and a fine of forty thousand to one hundred and twenty thousand baht. "

Section 9 of the " Prostitution Prevention and Suppression Act " states

" Whoever procures, seduces, or traffics the other person to commit the act of prostitution, even

with consent of the other person, no matter whether the commission of various acts which

constitute the offence are committed inside or outside the territory of the Kingdom, shall be

punished with imprisonment of one to ten years and an fine of twenty thousand to two hundred

thousand baht.

If the commission of the offence as specified in the first paragraph is against a person who is over

fifteen (15) years but not yet over eighteen (18) years of age, the offender shall be punished with

imprisonment of five to fifteen years and a fine of one hundred thousand to three hundred

thousand baht.

If the commission of the offence as specified in the first paragraph is against a child not over

fifteen (15) years of age, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of ten to twenty years

and a fine of two hundred thousand to hundred thousand baht.

If the commission of the offence as specified in the first, second or third paragraph is perpetrated

by using deceitful means, threat, physical assault, immoral influence, or mental coercion by any

other means, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment one-third heavier than the

punishment accordingly specified in the first, second, third or fourth paragraph as the case may

be. "

Section 10 of the " Prostitution Prevention and Suppression Act " states

" Whoever is the father, mother, or guardian of a person not yet over eighteen (18) years of age,

with the knowledge that there is the commission of the offence as specified in the second third, or

fourth paragraph of Section 9 against the person within his or her guardianship, colludes with

another offender in the commission of that offence, shall be punished with imprisonment of four to

twenty years, and a fine of eighty thousand to four hundred thousand baht. "

Section 11 of the " Prostitution Prevention and Suppression Act " states

" Whoever is the owner, supervisor, or manager of a prostitution business or a place for

prostitution, or controller of a prostitute in the place of prostitution, shall be punished with

imprisonment of three to fifteen years, and a fine of sixty thousand to three hundred thousand baht.

If the prostitution business or place for prostitution as specified, has a person not yet over

eighteen (18) years of age performing the act of prostitution in such place, the offender shall be

punished with imprisonment of five to fifteen years, and a fine of one hundred thousand to three

hundred thousand baht.

If the prostitution business or place for prostitution as specified , has a child not yet over fifteen

(15) years of age performing the act of prostitution in such place, the offender shall be punished

with imprisonment of ten to twenty years, and a fine of two hundred thousand to four hundred

thousand baht. "

Section 12 of the " Prostitution Prevention and Suppression Act " states

" Whoever detains or confines the other person, commits any other act that deprives the liberty of

the other person, assaults the other person, or threatens with any other means to use physical force

to commit a violent act against the other person, in order to force the other person to perform the

prostitution activity, shall be punished with imprisonment of ten to twenty years, and a fine of two

hundred to four hundred thousand baht.

If the commission of the offence as specified in the first paragraph causes to the other person :

1) serious bodily injury, the offender shall be punished with life imprisonment.

2) death, the offender shall be punished with the death penalty or life

imprisonment."

The full act is here

http://www.ilo.org/dyn/natlex/docs/WEBTEXT...63/E96THA01.htm

I note that Act repeals and amends Sections 282 and 283 of the Penal Code, but has section 277 of the Penal Code ever been repealed or amended?

Section 277 of The Thai Penal Code:

"WHOEVER has sexual intercourse with a girl

not yet over fifteen years of age and not being

his own wife, whether such girl shall consent or

not, shall be punished with imprisonment of four

to twenty years and fined between Bt8,000 to

Bt40,000.

"If the commission of the offence according to

the first paragraph is committed against a girl

not yet over thirteen years of age, the offender

shall be punished with imprisonment of seven

to twenty years and fine of Bt14,000 to

Bt40,000 or imprisonment for life.

Which would seem to indicate that you can get married to a girl under 15 (it goes on to say in section 279 that sex with a girl under 13 is absolutely not on)

Section 9 of the " Prostitution Prevention and Suppression Act " states

" Whoever procures, seduces, or traffics the other person to commit the act of prostitution, even

with consent of the other person, no matter whether the commission of various acts which

constitute the offence are committed inside or outside the territory of the Kingdom, shall be

punished with imprisonment of one to ten years and an fine of twenty thousand to two hundred

thousand baht.

If the commission of the offence as specified in the first paragraph is against a person who is over

fifteen (15) years but not yet over eighteen (18) years of age, the offender shall be punished with

imprisonment of five to fifteen years and a fine of one hundred thousand to three hundred

thousand baht.

Which would indicate that you cannot have sex with a girl between the ages of 15 and 18 for the purpose of prostitution.

However it does not prohibit sex with a girl between the aes of 15 and 18 if prostitution is not involved.

And interestingly if you have sex with a prositute between the ages of 15 and 18 OUTSIDE of Thailand then you can be prosecuted in Thailand.

Source http://www.ageofconsent.com/thailand.htm

So why do they bother mentioning 15 years at all? Weird.

Because if two Thai kids are 15 and over but under 18, it's ok for them to have sex, not illegal. But if one is over 15 and the other under, it's not legal. I also think technically if they're both under 15 it's illegal. That's why they mention 15.

Edited by Maestro
Added warning - Maestro

In another thread a moderator mentioned the "age of majority." And I learned something.

There is the age of majority, the age of consent and the legal age. The age of majority in Thailand is 20.

So if my 19 year old daughter Pornquimeasy goes to a club in Rayong (sure she is too young to get in but who really notices) and meets Joe the expat who works for Chevron and they spend the night together, what happens?

When she gets home in the morning, "Porn baby where were you last night?" Sorry dad I meant to call but I was drunk with Joe the expat." "That sleezeball Joe the expat?" "Sorry dad I know you don't like him."

I call Somchai my next door neighbor who happens to be a police colonel. "Somchai, my 19 year old daughter spent the night with an older guy. How old? 26 years of age. "Oh that is very bad, how much money do you want? 500,000 should do it. You get the usual 10%" "No problem, we pick him up this morning."

You probably think I am making this story up. Ha ha.

So my apologies to all concerned. The legal age is 18. The age of majority is 20. That means if you have sex with a woman under 20 without her parent's consent you may be guilty of statutory rape and/or liable for fines and legal action from her parents.

Sorry, but the Law as it is written seems to disagree with you.

I. Ages for legal purposes

Age of simple majority

According to the Prostitution Prevention and Suppression Act, " child " means a person who is not

Age of consent for marriage

Book 5 of the Civil and Commercial Code states that marriage can be done when both parties are

seventeen (17) years of age but with a reasonable ground , the court may permit them to be married

before.

Regarding statutory rape

II. Rape

Title IX 'Offences relating to sexuality'Section 277 of the Penal Code

" Whoever has sexual intercourse with a girl not yet over thirteen years of age, with or without her

consent, shall be punished with imprisonment of seven (7) to twenty (20) years and fine of fourteen

thousand to forty thousand baht, or imprisonment for life.

If the offence according to the first paragraph is committed by participation of persons in the

nature for destroying a girl and such girl is not consent, or by carrying or using any gun or

explosive, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment for life. "

Article 283: If the same offence is committed on a child not yet over

15 years of age, the offender is liable to imprisonment of 10-20 years

and a fine of 20,000 to 40,000 baht, or life imprisonment, or death.

No mention of statutory rape of a child over 15

Edit: Source http://www.ageofconsent.com/thailand.htm

I was not talking about prostitution at all. I was not talking about the age of consent or the legal age. I was talking about the age of majority which in Thailand is 20. If daddy has a problem with you, you are going to have a problem if the girl is under 20. Or if the girl has a problem with you and tells daddy you are going to have a problem. You can be arrested and put in jail for this. Happened twice that I know of in Rayong last year. It is not an isolated incident.

Ladies get busted all the time in Pattaya for working in bars under the age of 20. I am not making it up. Ask any bar owner.

Or ask a Thai lawyer. Don't take my word for it. Do a lady under 20 and you are at risk in Thailand.

Edited by Maestro
Added warning - Maestro

I was not talking about prostitution at all. I was not talking about the age of consent or the legal age. I was talking about the age of majority which in Thailand is 20. If daddy has a problem with you, you are going to have a problem if the girl is under 20. Or if the girl has a problem with you and tells daddy you are going to have a problem. You can be arrested and put in jail for this. Happened twice that I know of in Rayong last year. It is not an isolated incident.

Ladies get busted all the time in Pattaya for working in bars under the age of 20. I am not making it up. Ask any bar owner.

Or ask a Thai lawyer. Don't take my word for it. Do a lady under 20 and you are at risk in Thailand.

Sorry, but the Law as it is written seems to disagree with you. Age of Majority and Age of Consent are clearly defined in the statute.

Age of simple majority

Book 5 of the Civil and Commercial Code states that marriage can be done when both parties are

seventeen (17) years of age but with a reasonable ground , the court may permit them to be married

before.

Now it may be that there's a law that states the minumum age to work in a bar, or even to drink alcohol, or go to a nightclub, or to vote but that has nothing to do with the age of consent or the age of majority.

Sorry, but the Law as it is written seems to disagree with you. Age of Majority and Age of Consent are clearly defined in the statute.

Age of simple majority

before.

Now it may be that there's a law that states the minumum age to work in a bar, or even to drink alcohol, or go to a nightclub, or to vote but that has nothing to do with the age of consent or the age of majority.

Get off the "Age of majority" in the prostitution supression law. I am not talking about prostitution. Find the simple age of majority in Thailand. It is 20.

What an amusing thread... the OP (the busiest and most outspoken poster) has nothing but his own opinion and subjective/circumstantial evidence yet continues to aggressively defend his position despite his initial position: "I am always willing to learn something new. If anyone has better information on the topic please don't be afraid to let me know."

<deleted>' rich... keep it up peeps!!!

My opinion! Ha. Ask a lawyer. Ask a lawyer who advises bars. I am not a lawyer. So I can't tell you. If I was I would tell you. Maybe that law firm that advertises here will come on and tell you. You can't hire a lady to work in a bar or club under 20 and you can't ball a bimbo under 20 unless it is cool with dad.

Get off the "Age of majority" in the prostitution supression law. I am not talking about prostitution. Find the simple age of majority in Thailand. It is 20.

So you're saying that Thailand has 2 Ages of Majority?

One for prostitutes and one for non-prostitutes?

Kindly provide a link to your source.

What an amusing thread... the OP (the busiest and most outspoken poster) has nothing but his own opinion and subjective/circumstantial evidence yet continues to aggressively defend his position despite his initial position: "I am always willing to learn something new. If anyone has better information on the topic please don't be afraid to let me know."

<deleted>' rich... keep it up peeps!!!

My opinion! Ha. Ask a lawyer. Ask a lawyer who advises bars. I am not a lawyer. So I can't tell you. If I was I would tell you. Maybe that law firm that advertises here will come on and tell you. You can't hire a lady to work in a bar or club under 20 and you can't ball a bimbo under 20 unless it is cool with dad.

It may be that there's a law that states the minumum age to work in a bar, or even to drink alcohol, or go to a nightclub, or to vote but that has nothing to do with the age of consent or the age of majority.

You seem to be very confused over that.

Edited by PattayaParent