Need Scooter...new Or Used?

kap

Next week I take possession of a condo unit on Soi Wat Bun, 800 meters (.5 miles) up from Jomtien Beach Road. My plan is to spend about 30 days there every month or so (I'm based in HK). Given this, I've decided that I need my own personel transportation (as opposed to monthly rentals [with insurance] of about 3,000+).

My development will be walled with 24/7 security. A friend of mine bought a new Yamaha 125cc scooter 6-12 months ago for about 38,000 (a little over 40,000 all in, including insurance). While that is not that much, I'm also kicking around the idea of a used model, 1 or 2 years old. I've done a cursory search and haven't seen that many used ones and the prices didn't seem to be all that much less relative to a new one.

Any CONSTRUCTIVE comments on the following topics would be appreciated:

-New or used

-Benefits of new vs used

-From where

-Price point

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

There are quiet alot of used bikes in Pattaya, but prices as you mentioned are relatively not that cheaper, at most you would be able to save 10K. 2nd hand bikes are sold at dealerships are located at a certain section of the dealers. good luck in your bike search.

Kap...

My suggestion would be to rent a few different models before you buy anything. Try them out for a week or so each and decide which one fits you. You can still rent models that have 5 speeds with a clutch or the semi automatics and of course the popular fully automatics.

Buying used is OK as long as you know about bikes or have someone with you that does. If you really don't mind spending 10-15 thousand baht more, you can buy a new one that will last a very long time if you take care of it.

You said "My plan is to spend about 30 days there every month or so" which I understand means you will be here every other month? In which case that means the bike sits in the garage for 30 days at a time without being used which isn't good for the bike.

If in fact you are here every other month I would just rent from a local shop, renting a different model every time until you find the model you like best. And then buy a new one of the model you like best if buying is what you really want to do.

In any case, good luck with whatever you decide.

PS: When shopping for new.....check different dealers. The dealers do not all charge the same price. Some will discount & some will not.

You are probably moving into Park Lane ,from the description .I also have a unit there .Do you know if they will have a covered area for motorcycles ?

Anyway i have found leaving a bike unused for a month ok .Its when it gets to a few months ,you may get carb problems and the bike may not start .

I always buy 2 nd hand with good results so far .Look at the notice boards outside Friendship and Carrefour supermarkets etc

Thaifan2: Yes, it is the Park Lane.

It is still officially a construction site and it's not ready for cars or bikes yet. Officially, I'm not even allowed to park my bike there between working/construction hours, from 9?-6?. So, no there is no covered bike parking. Once the project is completed, that may be a different story, I haven't enquired yet. Given this, I am definitely not buying a bike on this trip. However, on my next trip during the month of April, I'm guessing that the project will be at the point that I can leave a bike there.

If you want anything further just PM me. If you want I can send you my Thai mobile number and you can call me to discuss this or anything else that you wish to ask about. Cheers.

If you are thinking of buying a scooter I would go for the new option. Alot of the 2nd hand bikes may have a dubious maintenance history. Especially in LOS. You maybe buying a death trap. For the difference in price I would go new and have piece of mind. I have the new Honda PCXi and cannot fault it. Happy hunting.