Your Favourite Supermarket

DJ Pat

Your favourite supermarket  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for Big C as it is only 125 km away from where I live. However in BKK I use Villa at Sukhumvit 33 and the supermarket at the mall next to Seacon Square (can't remember the name). Their deli section is very good though a little expensive.

I agree that Rim Ping has the best selection of gourmet and imported items. Only place in LOS that I've been able to buy Diet Dr. Pepper. Of course, it was 100 baht per can -- not exactly an every day purchase. (And, not exactly gourmet....)

Here in Korat the market at The Mall is probably the best for variety and fresh stuff. But, for every day shopping we go to Lotus -- good prices and everything we need on a daily basis; including decent whole wheat sandwich bread, peanut butter and good jam! Can't do without that PB&J!

:o

TescoLotus in Suphan City.  Great foodhall with lots of good-lookin' eye-candy.

Good liquor section too. :o

as a denizen of the Suphan tescos food hall I must qualify this remark by pointing out that said 'eye candy' is all under 18 yrs and in school uniforms...

Boon Mee...you beast...

(I like eye candy too!...me an' ol' Boon Mee, at large in the food hall...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Villa -Sukhumvit 33- easily. Foodland (Ramkhamhaeng) as a runner up. The 24 hour thing for both places is a nice plus.... 2-3am, few customers, no waiting, easy parking in rather limited parking area for both places. Reasonably priced, good value.

:o

Edited by Heng

as a denizen of the Suphan tescos food hall I must qualify this remark by pointing out that said 'eye candy' is all under 18 yrs and in school uniforms...

Still counts as eye candy whatever way you look at it...

We only have Makro, Big C and Tesco Lotus locally. Of those I prefer Tesco Lotus as it is generally the least busy. In order to obtain the majority of foodstuff that I use for 'farang cooking' it usually requires a visit to all three.

I haven't been to all the supermarkets in Pattaya, but of the ones I have shopped at, I prefer Carrefour.

Just wanna know what your preferences are. I know it also depends on your location.

Have I left any supermarkets out?

I vote for good old Foodland !

As for thai I like The Mall, food center is much better than Lotus or Carefour. For Farang Tesco has lots products from UK or American trademarkts, reasonable prices for bread , fruits ( Durian is 3 times cheaper than The Mall supermarket with almost same quality), but I dont like cashier at Tesco, few ppl to work and had to wait patiently. Carefour has lots of fresh food, fruits, seafood , everything you want in reasonable price, but food center I give a minus vote ( in Ramkhamhaeng area ), Carefour food center in Pattaya is much better), Big C, seldom go there, once opposite World Trade, cheap summer t shirt you can get and all household things. Food Center is the same as TEsco. Foodland I like to shop, you get what you want if you like to cook european food and good bread and imported stuffs from homeland you are looking for. Willa is small but you can get many things too. I am a fan of The Mall hehehe...good bread...cood cake, thai sweet and many good eating for very reasonable price, fast working at the cashier and very friendly, nice located not like GoDaang Gebkong . :D:o

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Tesco Lotus at On Nut skytrain is very good for basics but Carrefour nearby is better for non-food household stuff like towels, dishes and bedding. Both have reasonable selections of veggies and fruits at OK prices. Neither matches Villa Soi 33 for farang necessities. A day's shopping for us usually involves a first stop at Pra Khanong market for fruit and veggies, seafood and some meat, then on to Lotus or Carrefour for bulk water, milk, cereal and various other things....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My vote goes to Foodland. There's a Villa closer but it's a bit grotty, dark and dank in there. In addition to having decent weekly sales (and no need for a pesky membership card) Foodland seems to have competitive prices and a good fruit selection, I do like the bakery, fresh ground coffee, cheese, deli and the 24 hour counter-service restaurant. Breakfast is 41 baht 06:00 - 09:00! And they have an '82 Ch. Margaux in their wine bin in case I get the urge, at a mere 37,000 baht.

Supermarket shopping in Thailand is very very lame so all you need to do is pick the one that is the least worst if you can dig what The Dude is saying. Varieties of goods are pathetic, especially at Big C. If there was ever a worthless store to buy groceries, Big C takes grand prize. Oh don't get me wrong, the place is huge and the lack of variety is partially out of their control and they cater to Thais who are delighted with 2 story aisles of Soy Sauce, 5 baht noodles, cooking oil and fish cookies. Never in my life have I seen so much square footage dedicated various types of sauces, LOL. It's pretty sad. Carre Four and Tesco Rotus are much the same. The only half decent thing in those 3 places is the bakery. I didn't say the bakery was good, it's just unique and tolerable. Hands down the best place to buy food is Foodland, and trust me that aint saying much. Villa looks like a rathole in a dungeon. I don't know what the fascination is with that place. Tops is lame but what can you do? Food Lion? How about Safeway, Albertson's, Winn Dixie, A&P, Stop and Shop, Von's, Ralphs and Alpha Beta and Smiths? No such luck. Walmart and Costco won't touch this country with a 10 foot pole cause they have standards. So basically it leaves you with those English, French and Aussie stores to sell the fish cookies. Aussie's Foodland wins the Grand Prize for doing the best possible job considering. Nice work Foodland

Tesco Lotus...  But I'm now near a Big C and I daresay their sashimi will be non existent or less tasty.

The salmon sashimi was pretty bad.

It tasted alright, nothing special but was a tad frozen and worst of all had little bones in it.

Carrefour sashimi is not too bad but you don't get much for your money.

The thickest, freshest slabs of salmon come from Tesco Lotus, no doubt about it.