How Much Doe These Safety Metal 2.-doors Cost? Is It Mcuh Safer?

atelko

Hi,

I am moving to a small cheap room (thai style) that is clean and pretty much ok for me, but i am a bit curious about security. living just with thais and no security is bothering me.

i heard from other guys who are running apartments that some of the farang renters have been installing those safety-doors in front of the regulsr doors, but did not know how much it costs.

does someone know about the prices? i mean the safety doors that are built like gates and not those mosiquito-doors.

i know taht you are showing off that there is something to get in your room, but it is not a big building. the apartment doors are to the front of the building and main street. so everybody could see when the safety doors and doors re cracked by someone and it takes the person a little bit logner than breaking in with a regular door.

thanks guys.

i paid bt 10.000 for a gate which is about the same size has a door made to measure and fitted,

i don't think people think you have something to steal from your home because you have a security gate fitted better to be safe than sorry,

i paid bt 10.000 for a gate which is about the same size has a door made to measure and fitted,

i don't think people think you have something to steal from your home because you have a security gate fitted better to be safe than sorry,

do you mean BHT 10K for an actual gate or those gate-doors fitted to the size of the door-frame of the apartment?

yes 10.000 bt, for a gate made and fitted with padlock,,a single gate,,same size as a door gate,so i presume a security gate made and fitted over a entrance door would be around the same cost,

hopefully not :)

but i better pay for my safety once and safe with the rent.

i think installing it into the frame from the inside would be better i think. so that nobody could actually see the security-door and think it is just a regular apartment door as all the others.

• 3 weeks later...

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that if you are that worried about security you should find another apartment. By placing the security gate over the door you are advertising the fact that you have something worth stealing (as you note), second it probably won't make you too popular with the neighbors. Instead of investing in all that why not find a more secure place for a few baht more?

As for the cost, not sure what kind of door was installed for 10,000 Baht. If that was the kind that stores use, the roll up, roll down that might be a good price, I don't know. But for reference, I had a wall of one inch square steel tubing welded together, with vertical bars spaced about 6 inches apart and then short horizontal bars connecting those at intervals of about one foot. That was about 2 meter high by 5 meters wide, and contained a large door of the same type. This was to front a large open air lanai or porch area. The entire structure with mfg., painting, and installation was something like 6,500. A single door like that what you need would probably cost less than 2000 B. Every neighborhood has welding shops that construct that kind of stuff so you could tell them what you want and get an estimate.

If you are moving to a small, cheap room, do you have anything that is worth stealing??

Do the Thais in this building suffer from break-ins all the time?

Is there something about your appearance that would encourage potential thieves to rob you?

Why should 'living with just Thais' be more of a risk than 'living with just farang' or 'living with Thais, farang and that guy from Cambodia with the wooden leg'?

Just curious... :)

Simon

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that if you are that worried about security you should find another apartment. By placing the security gate over the door you are advertising the fact that you have something worth stealing (as you note), second it probably won't make you too popular with the neighbors. Instead of investing in all that why not find a more secure place for a few baht more?

As for the cost, not sure what kind of door was installed for 10,000 Baht. If that was the kind that stores use, the roll up, roll down that might be a good price, I don't know. But for reference, I had a wall of one inch square steel tubing welded together, with vertical bars spaced about 6 inches apart and then short horizontal bars connecting those at intervals of about one foot. That was about 2 meter high by 5 meters wide, and contained a large door of the same type. This was to front a large open air lanai or porch area. The entire structure with mfg., painting, and installation was something like 6,500. A single door like that what you need would probably cost less than 2000 B. Every neighborhood has welding shops that construct that kind of stuff so you could tell them what you want and get an estimate.

I paid 2200 Baht for my back gate here. It's 1.4m wide by 1.8m high, but it's not like one of those security ones.

Reckon on about 5k.

It's a good idea. I've lived in apartment buildings in the past and break-ins were rather common.

It has little to do with how you look, what you have, or some of the other remarks. Thieves target places and farangs are good targets. A security door is a good deterrent.

It's a good idea. I've lived in apartment buildings in the past and break-ins were rather common.

It has little to do with how you look, what you have, or some of the other remarks. Thieves target places and farangs are good targets. A security door is a good deterrent.

Sister has them fitted to her rental apartments. Brutal looking things.

Also, think about the padlock. I recommend one like this, difficult to smash off.

2006_Bully_Stainless_Round_Padlock_Chrome.jpg

Also, think about the padlock. I recommend one like this, difficult to smash off.

Sorry but this looks like a cheap pressed steel casing lock similar are sold in the UK by Squire. Put it this way a decent lock will be about £50+ in the UK and look like this and about 14-16mm shackle case hardened

lock.bmp

lock.bmp

Edited by yabaaaa

Sorry but this looks like a cheap pressed steel casing lock similar are sold in the UK by Squire. Put it this way a decent lock will be about £50+ in the UK and look like this and about 14-16mm shackle case hardened

Well, that style of padlock. We always used them on site, never had a problem. The one time I had to use a normal one, came back on Monday, everything gone. I have more faith in this design but yes, it does need to go inside one of those awkward box things that covers it.

Can be hellish to open.