Got Electrical Bill Of Bht 1500-2000 Per Month. How Is That? How Can I Safe Energy?

atelko

my electrical bill is bht 1500-2000 everytime. i am living together with a friend of mine, who is using the aircon and letting the outside light and floor light on all the night. probably watt-consuming light bulbs :)

also the tv was on all the time before, but the satellite dish is broken and thats why not in use anymore. that cut down my bill about bht 300.

i am using my pc all the time and just my fan and my light bulb in my room. other than that nothing more.

the washing machine and the refrigerator might be the problem. i know that those refrigerators are killing you when turned to max, but on2-3 its ok.

more items are not in use.

oh yes, the cooking plate occasionally when there will be cooked.

it came out that the air-con is using just about 1.2 units per hour.

paying bht 3.6 per unit in my rented house at the moment. when moving to my new apartment next month it will be baht 7 per unit so that my electrical bill would explode from my current 1500-2000 to 3000-4000 and that just for electric. too much in my opinion.

this is why i want to cut down my electrical unit expenses.

any ideas or tips about that?

Washing machine is a lot, but will be reduced in a condo as you probably will use the machines in the condo building.

Hot plates use a lot of electricity too, I actually have a ceramic hob but do not use it, I prefer to use a gas cooker on

the balcony.

When was the aircon cleaned, I found mine was using a lot because it had not been cleaned for more than 6 months.

Turn all the lights off when before you sleep is a good idea.

I live in my own condos, with 2 rooms and 2 meters, I pay the Government rates, 1 room will be around 500baht a month

the other is free as I use under 90 units (this is the level at which if you use more you pay, less than 90 is free).

In the room which is free I have a fridge, computer on all nite every nite, and TV in the evenings, also a fan, no aircon.

Edited by beano2274

At most rented condo's they charge you a extra % for electricity.

I pay in a 3 bedroom condo, me, mygirlfriend and 3 children about 1.400 a month, but we pay direct to the electricity company (bought the condo).

But for your new condo 4.000 its crazy, better get another condo where you can pay direct to electricity company, than you pay around 700-1.000 a month.

:)

I've lived here 10 years, and have a sister-in-law, who has never paid for her electricity, she is always under the limit and gets it free!!

Shall I ask her if you can move in? :)

The free electricity is a new thing as far as I am aware, brought in the same time as the free buses, about a year and a half ago.

I've lived here 10 years, and have a sister-in-law, who has never paid for her electricity, she is always under the limit and gets it free!!

Shall I ask her if you can move in? :)

NOT as,

She dont use air co but only PATLOM (Fan)

She has no fridge but use NAAM KENG (ice cubes)

The only light she has is a 10 W tube light

In her 20 m2 room, would you move in with your sister in law yourself ?????

1500-2000 isn't bad if you have aircon.

It's easily lowered, wait till your friend goes out and permanently disable the aircon. Cut the cord off or pour glue in the works. When he comes back say you had a home invasion by a gang of yellow shirts who vandalised it.

Edited by sceadugenga

Wow, in my old condo our electric bill was always about 3000-5000/month, so 1500 baht would have sounded fabulous! We didn't use THAT much electric and only used the air con in one room at at time.

ok but is the aircon on all day then?

Wow, in my old condo our electric bill was always about 3000-5000/month, so 1500 baht would have sounded fabulous! We didn't use THAT much electric and only used the air con in one room at at time.

No, we turned it off during the day when we went to work.

My bill is about the same as OP. I have Tv on and fan during the day as well as PC. On a night I have the same on plus one AC and 8 garden lights.

This bill is comparable to electricity bill for the Uk, which initially surprised me as I thought everything in Thailand was supposed to be so cheap :)

i would chk the rate @ which you are charged for, 3-5k for a condo sounds high to me, esp if no one is home during the day

the washing machine and the refrigerator might be the problem.

dont think the washer would be the problem unless yr a laundrymat

how many loads per day are you doing?

if you are going to leave lights on all night, invest in some energy saving bulbs, they can save you heaps in the long run

i would chk the rate @ which you are charged for, 3-5k for a condo sounds high to me, esp if no one is home during the day

Thanks for the tip, but I actually don't live there anymore. I think I remember looking at the bill once and the rate seemed ok, but I can't remember for sure. I think part of the problem was that the air cons were old and not very efficient. Also, we were on the top floor of our building and it just got SO freakin hot up there! Now I live in a nice, cool 2nd floor apartment and pay about 1500/month. :)

One tip to reduce electric costs is to watch out for those "instant-on" appliances. People seem to forget that a television, stereo, VCR, computer or whatever appliance with that "instant-on" feature where you just have to click a remote to have it come full on, isn't really off when not in use. It still uses electricity for the instant-on function to work. So push the power button to turn it totally off when your not there, or pull the plug when you are not home. And watch the refrigerator with that "auto-defrost" function. One with the old fashioned defrost, that you have to start yourself, is a better energy saving choice.

Oh and by the way a gas stove with the always on pilot light is a convenient feature, but it also uses gas to keep the pilot light going, doesn't it?

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

The 'NEW' place we moved into a few months ago was full of 60 watt incandescent bulbs everywhere and no screens for the patio doors and windows.

Apartment buildings make good profit on having you run up the electric.

First thing I did was replace all the bulbs with compact fluorescent 15 watt bulbs and screens all around so I don't have to run the aircon all day and night.

same here, i have a 2 bedroom hose, 3-6k depending on the season. 2000 if i go to the beach for 3 weeks. If i am at my house on the beach the electric there hits 3k, especially if i bring guests.

turn off your a/c it is the killer.

How are you guys spending 3-6k for electricity? You must be getting screwed at the non government rate because it's pretty difficult to spend that much unless you're running 2 or more air conditioners all day in a 2 bedroom condo at least.

Edited by wintermute

How are you guys spending 3-6k for electricity? You must be getting screwed at the non government rate because it's pretty difficult to spend that much unless you're running 2 or more air conditioners all day in a 2 bedroom condo at least.

Agreed, I have large 3 bed house, air in main bedroom, ceiling fans everywhere, american size fridge with ice maker etc etc, the garden has pond with pumps running, the wall has 12 lamps on from 6-12 and my bills never above 2000bht. As l said before, check your not feeding next door :) or have a word with who controls your meter.

Curious, any idea how many units (kwH) per month that equates too? Meaning I wanna find out if our meter is juiced up like a thai taxi meter or is normal.

I pay in a 3 bedroom condo, me, mygirlfriend and 3 children about 1.400 a month, but we pay direct to the electricity company (bought the condo).

But for your new condo 4.000 its crazy, better get another condo where you can pay direct to electricity company, than you pay around 700-1.000 a month.

maybe if you live like a thai that makes 6 000 a month

In a 60sqm condo, i paid 3500 per month directly to the governement

sweating like a pig all day long is living like a thai

Have to be crazy not to use the AC in the room youa re in unless you live in issan, and then you are living like a thai anyways

But who cares really, rent and houses are so cheap here.. 2-6k baht wont change much in anyone's life

Edited by gvallee2

maybe if you live like a thai that makes 6 000 a month

In a 60sqm condo, i paid 3500 per month directly to the governement

Your wrong chum, I don't live like a Thai, 3 bed house with many western comforts, tv in bed rooms, Electric showers, wash machine, microwave etc etc and never above 2000 bt. read my last blab. My pal has a 5 bed, 3 story house in the sticks with shop on the ground floor. This place has everything, and in the shop a large drinks fridge. His main bedroom aircon is on at night, every night. He pays 3000-3500bt a month :craz

then it would be great if you could provide us with some substantiation. I pay the government directly, run two a/c nightly from about 10 hours have hot showers daily, water cooler, stereo, full size fridge/freezer, large fish tank etc.

My neighbors consumption is very similar, as are a number of my friends. 6k was the vey highest ever and that was April with all 3 air and fans going full bore. General is 3-5k.

As it stands your claims are simply that.

I live in a large, 3 bedroom house, With AC in my bedroom, 3 tvs, 2 computers Two Fridges (one large Western size) lights energy saving thur out the house, a large high wattage spot light in the front yard, 2 kitchens western inside and Thai outside, 4 people living here and my electric bill is between 1500- 2000 baht per month.

Many rentals make an added profit off of you by charging you a higher electric unit rate, and their AC are old and not energy efficient.

Each resident should pay their own electric usage, if your friend continues his high usage habit.

Good Luck!

Cheer: :)