Farangs Rights

I have had a Thai partner for 2 years, she has a visa for the UK and later this year we are getting married in the UK.

What rights do I get married to a Thai.

Is it easier for me to stay long term in Thailand etc.

look forward to your replies

Chesterboy

I have had a Thai partner for 2 years, she has a visa for the UK and later this year we are getting married in the UK.

Chesterboy

:D:o:D:D:D

NONE

Chesterboy

Being married to a Thai National will allow you to apply for a Non-O visa, and extend it if you meet the financial requirements. Then, some 3-4 years later you could be in a position to apply for permanent residency. You'll still need a seperate work permit to legally work.

So, being married, can provide an alternate immigration option.

But you'll need income too.If you already have this (investments, passive income, job lined up etc...), then it will be easy for you to "stay long term in Thailand ".

what are your intended income streams ?

Chesterboy

You do qualify for some rights. The right to support her and her family.

Dont forget about the water buffalo! :o

Chesterboy

You do qualify for some rights. The right to support her and her family.

I certainly would not get married in the UK.

Get married in Thailand.

I presume the reasoning for doing so would be to avoid UK laws with respect to divorce and communial property.

However, both English and Scottish law allow for divorce cases to be heard regardless of where the marriage took place. The question the court considers is 'Does English/Scottish law have durisdiction over any part of the marriage contract and communial property'.

ANY legal asociation with England/Scotland by either partner or the property, pensions, investments etc of either partner gives the court durisdiction.

Also.

The court can make retrospective rulings over the sharing of property, pension etc in the UK if they fall outside of the durisdiction of an overseas court.

So A) you can get married where ever you like but if you have any property or funds of any kind in the UK a UK court can and will hear a divorce pettition

:o You can divorce overseas and a UK court can and will hear a case of a property/funds sharing order (for property funds in the UK) if the divorce took place in an overseas durisdiction.

I certainly would not get married in the UK.

Get married in Thailand.

I presume the reasoning for doing so would be to avoid UK laws with respect to divorce and communial property.

However, both English and Scottish law allow for divorce cases to be heard regardless of where the marriage took place. The question the court considers is 'Does English/Scottish law have durisdiction over any part of the marriage contract and communial property'.

ANY legal asociation with England/Scotland by either partner or the property, pensions, investments etc of either partner gives the court durisdiction.

Also.

The court can make retrospective rulings over the sharing of property, pension etc in the UK if they fall outside of the durisdiction of an overseas court.

So A) you can get married where ever you like but if you have any property or funds of any kind in the UK a UK court can and will hear a divorce pettition

:o You can divorce overseas and a UK court can and will hear a case of a property/funds sharing order (for property funds in the UK) if the divorce took place in an overseas durisdiction.

I'm assuming that the reason for the suggestion is that it will be far cheaper to marry in Thailand, particularly after the latest rule changes in the UK.

I just made it and married my lovely lady when she was on a tourist visa. now happily living in LOS.

just an aside :

is it

1 farang, 2 farang

or

1 farang, 2 farangs

Farang Rights(all farang)

vs

Farangs' Rights(all farang)

vs

Farang's rights(a single farang)

There must be some english teachers in here ???

just an aside :

is it

1 farang, 2 farang

or

1 farang,  2 farangs

vs

vs

Do you mean teachers of English or teachers of any subject who happen to have been born in England??

In either case, they are easily identified by the numerous spelling and grammatical errors in their posts.

For decent English - go to school in Oz.

For indecent English - go to school in Oz.

just an aside :

is it

1 farang, 2 farang

or

1 farang, 2 farangs

vs

vs

I would say 1 farang and 2 farang.

"Farang" is a Thai word, therefore no plural.

I would say 1 farang and 2 farang.

"Farang" is a Thai word, therefore no plural.

True, it's the same with baht. In England we say one Pound, two Pounds and that's why sometimes you hear tourists saying one hundred bahts which sounds strange because in Thailand there is no plural form.

However it's common for English speakers to add English rules to foreign words so they don't sound silly in a conversation. Take for example the wai. To wai is a verb so often people will add regular verb endings to it, for examlple:

He wai'd the teacher.

She was wai'ing the monk.

Can you tell I'm bored? :o

Back to the original question however, farang rights in Thailand = bugger all.

Edited by withnail

How do we farangs treat foreigners back in farangland?

That old chestnut again George!

Fact of the matter is, if you are a forieigner, its not easy to get into a country into the first place. No 'Bob's Van tours' to you on a border run with the non-immi B's which you never have actually used for a business purpose......

just an aside :

is it

1 farang, 2 farang

or

1 farang,  2 farangs

vs

vs

Dis ees no engleesh- it is phonetic Thai - does the grammer apply

Chesterboy

Chesterboy

I had a Thai partner for 7 years and she came to the UK 5 years ago to marry me. It was the second best thing I have done in my life. The first was to divorce my first (UK) wife and the third best thing is our son who is now 8 months old.

It is easier for you to stay long term in Thailand provided that you meet the rules for income etc.

I share all my income with my Thai wife and yes I do realise that should we divorce she will still own the land and property that we share and it would then not be so easy for me to stay in Thailand.

However it was my choice to do so and my wife never forced me to marry her, any support that I give to her family is our choice,. I have never paid a dowry nor do I give my wife all of my money. We share what we have and if it all finished tomorrow I would still think that it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

There are some doomsayers on this forum but remember the choice you make is for the two of you and nobody here will be looking at you or living your life.

Go with what your heart feels and live your life together.

:o:D

Edited by billd766

Chesterboy

:D:o:D

NONE

You have the right to give all your money to your thai-wife and her lovely family

Farangss Rights?

:D

Farangs Rights.....

That is a classic oxymoron! 

Ermm... Just had to say that these quotes pretty much sum up, in my most professional and experienced position upon matters such as the OP is referring to, my utter and complete agreement as to the correct response.

I might add, that anybody in disagreement has the right to remain silent and not cause any issues about it, or speak and have it used against you.

Ciao Birdy-boys. :D :D :D

Chesterboy

:D:o:D

NONE

You have the right to give all your money to your thai-wife and her lovely family

Farangss Rights?

:D

Farangs Rights.....

That is a classic oxymoron! 

Ermm... Just had to say that these quotes pretty much sum up, in my most professional and experienced position upon matters such as the OP is referring to, my utter and complete agreement as to the correct response.

I might add, that anybody in disagreement has the right to remain silent and not cause any issues about it, or speak and have it used against you.

Ciao Birdy-boys. :D :D :D

Thanks for all the replies

Chesterboy

As a farang in LOS, your rights are directly proportional to the quality of your lawyer,your "contacts" and the amount of money,influence and respect you wield.

So an english teacher married to a thai will probably have less rights than the expat CEO of a major multinational married to a thai :o.Thats the reality.