Unbelievable!

Beanster1

Some 3 years ago when I decided to buy I purchased a copy of the local Automobile ‘Trading Post Magazine’ and headed off to Bang Na where most of the 2nd hand auto dealers are.

Wasn’t hard to find the cars I had hilited but proceedings didn’t even reach the ‘kick the tyres’ stage. On every approach the dealer explained to me that there was a misprint in the add. eg. “The price should have read 500K Baht not 400K”. :o This pissed me off and I duly told the guy to “drop on his head” using the appropriate body language, turned and walked off. Of coarse, he would chase me down the lot wanting to talk turkey. :D

After 2 weekends of this Thai wife was pissed, not at the dealers but at me (Thai logic), I gave up and bought a new one. :D

I was looking for a condo, using a reputable real estate agent.  We looked at "Sky Villas", part of the Ascot Hotel development.  According to the sales person, they had one unit left and, although the official sales price was B6.5m, they would give me a special deal.

Me: How much is it?

They: Can't tell you.

Me: Huh?

They: You have to put down a deposit of B500,000 for us to tell you.

They: If you don't buy, we'll give it back.

They: If, on the other hand, we match the price you want, and you don't buy the condo, we'll keep the money.

I decided to buy elsewhere...

Yes, that can happen in Thailand.

I was at the Met Museum Store in Siam Discovery a few months ago.

Saw sale announcement in two weeks, and there was an art book of my interest, at a price of over B8,000. I asked the store clerk if that book is among the items to be discounted during the sale and she said yes, 50% discount and said she'll reserve the book for me. So I asked her to do just that and then the next time I was at the store (a week before the sale) she told me the book is still reserved but now I have to pay a deposit. I told her that's not what she promised me and said that's not how I'd do business. We had a bit of an argument and in the end I asked the store manager if she'll keep the book for me so I'll return to the store and buy the book the first day of sale but no deposit or else I'll just forget it. She said she'll keep the book for me, no deposit (well I didn't mind leaving the deposit if I really really wanted the book). On the first date of the sale the store clerk called me telling me their maid has spilled coffee on the book and it's in no condition to sell. I was very close to asking her if she expects me to believe it but didn't bother.

Edited by Nordlys

Just bought a (secondhand) motobike. I'd agreed a price after several visits. My girlfriend said I'd pop right down to pay after a wee whizz round the block to check it rides ok. Their answer; if you want perfect, buy new one. And no, I couldn't test ride it.

I went and bought the same thing for the same price up the road.

To the best of my knowledge, insurance covers it. Not so sure on motorbikes, but on auto insurance 1st class does--it even covers if the driver doesn't have a valid driver's license.

To the best of my knowledge, insurance covers it.  Not so sure on motorbikes, but on auto insurance 1st class does--it even covers if the driver doesn't have a valid driver's license.

Talking about their business insurance..if they have any