My 8.10 And 9.10 Ubuntu Don't Connect To The Internet

BNZ

Can you explain in a little more detail?

eg. Are you using wireless or wired networks?

Are you running from a fresh install of Karmic Koala 9.10 live from the .iso on the CD?

What has changed since the year of 8.10 with no problems, and now?

---o0o---

Sorry to post and run. I have a meeting at noon. Should be back here just after 13:00 but you'll probably have it all sorted by then. Good luck and I'll check back this afternoon.

Edited by SeanMoran

Are you running from a fresh install of Karmic Koala 9.10 live from the .iso on the CD?

---o0o---

Sorry to post and run. I have a meeting at noon. Should be back here just after 13:00 but you'll probably have it all sorted by then. Good luck and I'll check back this afternoon.

1. True Hisp DSL no wireless 

2. A fresh install of the CD's both sent from Linux, 9.10 most recently, neither connect

3. Installed in a 'new' Acer E-machine formatted into 4 partitions with XP

---o0o---

1. True Hisp DSL no wireless

2. A fresh install of the CD's both sent from Linux, 9.10 most recently, neither connect

3. Installed in a 'new' Acer E-machine formatted into 4 partitions with XP

Sorry to be back late. The screw fell out of the r-h frame of my sunglasses as I walked in the door, and I've just spent the last hour trying to squash it back into the de-threaded hole with a pair of pliers and some blu-tack. My eyes aren't as good as they were 20 years ago.

Back on the problem, did you have any luck getting online with you booted directly off the 9.10 live CD?

It's slow as a wet week that way, but if your DSL modem was supported with 8.10 previously, it should be supported now.

Back on the problem, did you have any luck getting online with you booted directly off the 9.10 live CD?

It's slow as a wet week that way, but if your DSL modem was supported with 8.10 previously, it should be supported now.

Thanks for your response and no, 9.10 wouldn't connect whereas 8.10 did connect off the live CD however that's not happening now. Putting in the required DSL info is straightforward but now no connection either 'live' or installed. 

Thanks for your response and no, 9.10 wouldn't connect whereas 8.10 did connect off the live CD however that's not happening now. Putting in the required DSL info is straightforward but now no connection either 'live' or installed.

If 8.10 live worked before but doesn't now, then could it be the 'new' Acer might need some work? Perhaps there are some drivers that aren't included on the live CD? It's probably best to check in at the Ubuntu forum and see if your new machine and its modem are supported.

Sorry I don't have a simple answer.

You have to do "pppoeconf" in a terminal, and then set it up by entering your username and password. Beside those two, just click enter for everything else.

Can you explain a little more...

I am having a similar problem connecting to my ISP using ubuntu.

I am a Linux newbie and am checking it out by using the Live CD boot option on a notebook that has XP installed. I am able to boot-up and use ubuntu fine but when I try to set-up a network connection with the Connection Manager module I can't figure it out.

I connect to the net via the ethernet cable connection to a cable modem. I connect with Window by entering a username and password. Where in the ubuntu Connection Manager do I enter this information?

Edited by FarangBuddha

Hi.

The best thing to do is either replace the provider's modem with a router and have the shop that sells the router configure it for you (need to bring along your username and password, they do that free of charge) or, alternative, setup the modem itself to be online the moment it is turned on. True's Huawei and Billion branded modems can do that, they are actually routers too but may have the router function disabled per firmware.

To do it with the modem open your browser and enter http://192.168.1.1 (or http://192.168.0.1) and you will get to the modem's login page. It will ask for a username and password, this depends on provider and model - could be admin - admin, or admin - (blank), or true - true or some such. In the modem's menu you will find somewhere an option of "always on", again this depends on modem model. You may just take your modem to the nearest shop of your provider and have them set it for you, should be free of charge too.

It is of course also possible to setup a PPPOE connection in Ubuntu via the network manager but, i'll be honest, i have not done that yet and don't know how to do it. I am using Ubuntu, True ADSL and a D-Link router with WiFi component to share my internet wirelessly with mine and my boyfriend's laptop and WiFi enabled phones.

Best regards......

Thanh

Hi.

The best thing to do is either replace the provider's modem with a router and have the shop that sells the router configure it for you (need to bring along your username and password, they do that free of charge) or, alternative, setup the modem itself to be online the moment it is turned on. True's Huawei and Billion branded modems can do that, they are actually routers too but may have the router function disabled per firmware.

To do it with the modem open your browser and enter http://192.168.1.1 (or http://192.168.0.1) and you will get to the modem's login page. It will ask for a username and password, this depends on provider and model - could be admin - admin, or admin - (blank), or true - true or some such. In the modem's menu you will find somewhere an option of "always on", again this depends on modem model. You may just take your modem to the nearest shop of your provider and have them set it for you, should be free of charge too.

It is of course also possible to setup a PPPOE connection in Ubuntu via the network manager but, i'll be honest, i have not done that yet and don't know how to do it. I am using Ubuntu, True ADSL and a D-Link router with WiFi component to share my internet wirelessly with mine and my boyfriend's laptop and WiFi enabled phones.

Best regards......

Thanh

Thank you for the information...my XP network connection is PPEOE. However, all this having to configure this and that with the modem is rather daft. I had thought the Linux would have made a little bit more progress in terms of user-friendliness over the past decade.

I was just giving it a try to see what all the fuss is about. However, I see that it is still really only a computer geeks toy OS and not ready for use by the general public as yet. I mean, if one has to do all that you describe just to get one's internet connection up and running...sheeze. Windows may be less secure and a little slower but to get up and surfing all I have to do is open network connection and use the new connections wizard...enter my username and password and off I go.

No, I don't think I will be using Linux anytime soon...though it was an interesting look and it did feel very much like using an unpolished version of the Mac OS (also based on Unix).

Hehehe....

Please don't be so ignorant, you have to do exactly the same in Windows, no? After you install Windows you will NOT be online if you don't have a router or modem that is set to "always on"... you will have to configure your PPPOE manually, too. And just because it is done in a slightly different way in Linux doesn't make it a geek's toy. I am not a geek and have been using it exclusively since almost two years... with far less problems than i had with Windows.

Just the fact that i never needed to create a PPPOE connection under Linux and therefor don't know how to do it doesn't say much... hey, ADSL users these days rarely need to know that stuff, after all that's what routers are for (and "always on" modem settings). PPPOE with "dialup" (username/password etc) is so last century.... the last time i had to use that was like 2004 or something like that, and then for less than a week until i figured out how to get the modem to be "always on". And i had my difficulties getting XP to do what i want in regards to that connection, too.

If you have an "always on" modem or router you will be online the moment Ubuntu is done installing, or even right after booting from the Live-CD. But if you are in love with your outdated method of getting online you may want to stick with that outdated OS from Redmond, too.

Kind regards....

Thanh

Hehehe....

If you have an "always on" modem or router you will be online the moment Ubuntu is done installing, or even right after booting from the Live-CD. But if you are in love with your outdated method of getting online you may want to stick with that outdated OS from Redmond, too.

I do have an "always on" internet connection. A (TV) cable plugs into the little boxy thing and I plug one end of an ethernet cable into this box. I then plug the other end into my notebook ethernet port. In Ep, I then run the new connection wizard if it's the first time for use (or just enter my username and password if already set-up) and I'm connected.

Using the Ubuntu Live CD boot, when I plug in the "live" ethernet cable I get nothing. When I check the Network Manager, I do see various available wireless networks so the wireless connection manager seems to be working but I can't figure out how to configure in Network Manager my wired ethernet connection.

I have checked the online Ubuntu documentation and help forums but can't find an answer.

PS: The fact there is no version of iTunes for Ubuntu would be a deal killer for me as well. I did find some apparent workaround by using some kind of Windows emulator-type software on Ubuntu to download and run iTunes on XP but again, sounds pretty geeky to me...and I'm fairly proficient in using computers. However, I wouldn't go to that much trouble to run such a basic piece of today's software.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Hi.

Despite it being off-topic let me address your iTunes issue first as i have gone through that with my boss. Why would anyone in their right mind use that piece of bloat anyway if not for being forced to do so by Apple..? Well there's good news - with Ubuntu you plug in your iPod and it is detected as an external drive where you can drag-and-drop your music into as it is supposed to be with an mp3 player! If you want playlist management or whatever "super feature" iTunes offers in connection with an iPod, please just google for "Ubuntu iPod" and get any of the gazillion applications that are available for exactly that purpose - and no need to go hunting for them, just open Synaptic (System-Administration-Synaptic Package Manager), enter the name of the application there and download/install it with one further click. iPod and Ubuntu go together like ham and eggs, believe me :)

Now to your modem. No, Sir, in case you have to enter a username and password you are NOT "always on". And in your case you are not using ADSL either but cable. However setting it up *should* be the same (i never had cable so forgive my lack of knowledge on that particular technology).

Anyway the LAN cable you run between your cable modem ("boxy thing") and your PC is not "live" in any way, shape or form. Not before you have made connection by "dialing up" to the service in much the same way an analog dialup modem would do - by opening a port, shaking hands with the server, entering username and password and receiving "the internet" after.

Now you may try this (i am ding it as we speak, but can't test the result as i have a router).

RIGHT-click the "network manager" icon in the task bar.

Go to "edit connections".

Click "DSL".

Click "Add".

On top, check the box "connect automatically".

In the "DSL" tab enter a name for the connection (chose one you like, "TRUE" or whatever).

Still in the "DSL" tab enter your username and password.

Switch to the "Wired" tab.

In the "Wired" tab enter the MAC address of your modem - should be on a sticker somewhere on the modem (my router has it on the side).

Click "Apply" on the bottom of the window.

Reboot Ubuntu and you *should* now be online, without further having to enter username and password etc.

This is how it would work with a DSL modem such as True's Huawei or Billion ones.

And this procedure is pretty much the same as in Windows if you want to add a connection manually, i have done that countless times as i don't trust in "wizard" type programs. Just on Ubuntu it is somewhat easier as you can work with tabs instead of "properties->edit->apply" on each item.

Oh by the way in order to listen to mp3 music or watch DVD's and other "non-standard" type video files you need to install some software - those are NOT supported out of the box! This step DOES appear geeky to one who has not done it before however installing either a barrage of different players (one for every format) or a codec package on Windows is no less "geeky". Ask me if you want to know how to do it, i will happily assist you to get Ubuntu going, yet you need internet first. You may now say "but Windows supports them out of the box", yeah, therefor Ubuntu opens (and creates!) all sorts of MS Office documents and even pdf's and various image file types out of the box :D Did i mention that you can chat on MSN, Yahoo, AOL and some others and even make internet phone calls right out of the box too? That you can use FTP right out of the box?

You WILL have fun with Ubuntu once you have your internet going and all those nifty things at your fingertips. And once you find out how easy it is to change it's looks and customize it the way YOU like it and not some folks in Redmond..... you will start telling others how much you LOVE Ubuntu.

Trust me. My boss does it. First step is always difficult but we HAVE TO learn to walk before we can run. But you will run in no time with Ubuntu.

Kind regards......

Thanh

• 2 weeks later...