Heads Up Vientiane Embassay Gate Guard

I just got back from Laos doing a tourist visa run to Vientiane Embassy and thought I would give people a heads up about what happened to me and a few other people at the embassy gate.

Due to slow processing at the Laos border, I didn't arrive at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane until 11:50am. When I walked through the gate the guard in the little booth next to the gate who hands out the numbers for applying for visas tried to tell me it was finished for the day. He said it was 12 o'clock so applications were finished. As this was a Thursday I didn't plan on staying in Vientiane until Monday to collect my visa. So I told him the correct time and that applications finish at 12 o'clock. He then changed his story and said applications finish at 11:30. So I just walked past him to the application area.

After I arrived a few other people came through who said they had been stopped at the gate and then asked for money to let them through. One guy paid 700 baht to get in.

Just thought I would give people a heads up about this. If you arrive before 12 o'clock then just stick to your guns and walk in. Don't argue with them just tell them the time. Also, if you arrrive 5-10 minutes after 12 o'clock you might still be able to pay your way in if you don't want to spend and extra day in Vientiane.

I would be interested to know if this happens every day and what people have paid to get in the gate. The 700 baht the American guy paid seemed a bit high. I'm sure he could have haggled it down.

They're working together with the touts, if you hang around for a couple of minutes, one will pop up and let you know -they- can get you in still, with a nice kickback to the guard of course.

Just ignore them, if you arrive before (or just after) 12, just keep walking as if you know where you're going, straight ahead to the seating area where you can help yourself to a number, fill in your forms, ignore the numbering system and hand everything to the nice people at the window.

They're working together with the touts, if you hang around for a couple of minutes, one will pop up and let you know -they- can get you in still, with a nice kickback to the guard of course.

Just ignore them, if you arrive before (or just after) 12, just keep walking as if you know where you're going, straight ahead to the seating area where you can help yourself to a number, fill in your forms, ignore the numbering system and hand everything to the nice people at the window.

I think you're giving bad advice.

It's extremely arrogant to just ignore a security guard like you did. If he grabbed you and told you to get lost what would you have done? Who would you have complained to?

If everyone starts pushing their way past these security guards they will soon start getting strict. They are there for a reason and they have every right to throw you out. Ignoring him the way you did would be enough reason for him to toss you out.

Apart from that, they stop processing visa applications earlier than 12 noon when they have reached a certain quota.

I would say you were very lucky on this occasion.

Here would have been a more sensible approach:

Security guard stops you and tells you you're too late.

You say "sorry, do you mind if I walk up to the counter and ask if they will still process my application".

Be polite and respectful.

It's extremely arrogant to just ignore a security guard like you did. If he grabbed you and told you to get lost what would you have done? Who would you have complained to?

If everyone starts pushing their way past these security guards they will soon start getting strict. They are there for a reason and they have every right to throw you out. Ignoring him the way you did would be enough reason for him to toss you out.

Apart from that, they stop processing visa applications earlier than 12 noon when they have reached a certain quota.

You say "sorry, do you mind if I walk up to the counter and ask if they will still process my application".

Many thanks for giving me a good laugh this morning! Did you read that an American had to pay 700 baht to get in? Just a clear case of corruption so why be polite?

I don't know if you actually read what I wrote. The guard was stopping people not because they had finished processing but because he wanted to make some money. Processing stops at 12 o'clock. If they had stopped why did I and 5 other people who arrived after me get their applications processed.

I wasn't giving anyone advice to ignore security guards. I was letting people know that the guard might try to scam you out of some money to let you in.

It is not wise to ignore a security guard. His job however menial , is to ensure the security of the place in question , and as such may have the authority to refuse you permission to enter. It could result in your day being completely ruined.

I think it would be more sensible to respond to the guard accordingly , should he indicate to you that the closing for applications is past and you cannot lodge your paperwork,

I would say I am sorry for being late and offer some minor financial assistance to assist him as needed.

Who really cares about an extra 200-300 baht as long as you get what you came for.

Why be a cheap charley all your life...

The Visa is free anyway , so why worry about an issue as small as this. OMG what next.

:)

It is not wise to ignore a security guard. His job however menial , is to ensure the security of the place in question , and as such may have the authority to refuse you permission to enter. It could result in your day being completely ruined.

I think it would be more sensible to respond to the guard accordingly , should he indicate to you that the closing for applications is past and you cannot lodge your paperwork,

I would say I am sorry for being late and offer some minor financial assistance to assist him as needed.

Who really cares about an extra 200-300 baht as long as you get what you came for.

Why be a cheap charley all your life...

The Visa is free anyway , so why worry about an issue as small as this. OMG what next.

:)

There's such a thing as right and wrong. When you allow people to do wrong and even reward them for it that gives them an incentive to just keep doing it and maybe even upping it a little in the future to get more. Allowing and facilitating blatant corruption to go unchecked and unpunished is not what anyone with any morals should be doing. Money is not the issue here.

Yes they do but that is not the issue on hand here. That day, everyone getting past the guard in one way or the other (by either ignoring* him or paying up) was processed and got their shiny new visa without any mentioning of red stamps the next day.

* by ignoring I actually mean giving him a broad smile while walking by, ignoring his "The royal palace is closed for today" speech.

I don't know if you actually read what I wrote. The guard was stopping people not because they had finished processing but because he wanted to make some money. Processing stops at 12 o'clock. If they had stopped why did I and 5 other people who arrived after me get their applications processed.

I wasn't giving anyone advice to ignore security guards. I was letting people know that the guard might try to scam you out of some money to let you in.

You are basically giving advice for people to ignore the security guards and barge in.

That's not the way to behave in a foreign country.

As I said, bad advice.

If you plan your trip carefully there is absolutely no excuse for arriving 10 minutes to 12. If you'd taken some time to read reports you would have come across quite a few reports that people were too late to apply even as early as 11 am.

Compulsory "you want to follow your countries' rules, go live there" quote.

I guess you're from the US of A, things don't work quite that way here. Excellent advise by the OP I'd say.

Reason I live over here and won't visit the 'country of the "free"' is exactly these kinds of situations. I don't like compulsory back-side-deep-penetration home land security searches if I want to travel anywhere or visit one of your great embassies.

Also about the arrival time, we're still not back in your home county where everything is run by the clock, an hour or two delay here and there is quite normal, as is lying, and accepting bribes by so called 'security guards'. If that makes you insecure in some way, don't lash back on people giving good advise on how to avoid spending more time going to embassies then necessary.

So, sit back, breath, and try to go with the flow, or you will never see the Royal Palace, try it :)

There's such a thing as right and wrong. When you allow people to do wrong and even reward them for it that gives them an incentive to just keep doing it and maybe even upping it a little in the future to get more. Allowing and facilitating blatant corruption to go unchecked and unpunished is not what anyone with any morals should be doing. Money is not the issue here.

Another missionary joins the discussion.

So you believe that we should actively do anything we can to stamp out corruption in Laos, Thailand and every other nation where we don't belong?

This is also bad advice. The sensible advice is to go with the flow and don't make waves. There's nothing you can do about it.

It should be pretty obvious that this "blatant corruption" you speak of is a accepted by everyone working there...right to the very top, the Consul General. The security guards and various other consulate employees are probably related.

I can pay 500 baht and have my application taken care of in 10 minutes on the busiest day of the week at any time I choose to arrive. These people work together and know each other.

Get off your soapbox before someone knocks you off.

Also about the arrival time, we're still not back in your home county where everything is run by the clock, an hour or two delay here and there is quite normal,

More nonsense. There will never be an hour or two delay at the consulate in Vientiane. I've been there 6 times, and they always open on time. Official government offices do have clocks and they use them. If their clock just happens to be 10 minutes advanced on yours, then that's too bad for you.

Another missionary joins the discussion.

So you believe that we should actively do anything we can to stamp out corruption in Laos, Thailand and every other nation where we don't belong?

This is also bad advice. The sensible advice is to go with the flow and don't make waves. There's nothing you can do about it.

It should be pretty obvious that this "blatant corruption" you speak of is a accepted by everyone working there...right to the very top, the Consul General. The security guards and various other consulate employees are probably related.

I can pay 500 baht and have my application taken care of in 10 minutes on the busiest day of the week at any time I choose to arrive. These people work together and know each other.

Get off your soapbox before someone knocks you off.

Did I mention stamping out corruption in a country anywhere in my post? Can you read/understand/comprehend a post that contains one simple sentence? I personally don't pay bribes to anyone anywhere. Never have never will, if that causes me grief then so be it. If you can't stand up for yourself and your beliefs--then you know what you are of course don't you?

Of course you do.

Not worth the electrons to argue with 'mericans. Good advise was given and it will help some people obtain their visas who would otherwise have let themselves be turned back to wait another day, or would be forced to pay a nearby tout and feel pretty good about his 'street smarts' doing so, I guess tropo is in the second category.

People that read the topic can form their own opinion and either use the information or not, up to them.

Some people seem to be confusing a SEA 'security guard' with their western equivalent.

One is an uneducated peasant fieldboy with average SE Asian morals and integrity (none), who happens to have found himself in the position (a uniformed one) that westerns are thought to see as some sort of authority.

A lucky boy.

So do you think that Western security guards are educated?!?

Some people seem to be confusing a SEA 'security guard' with their western equivalent.

One is an uneducated peasant fieldboy with average SE Asian morals and integrity (none), who happens to have found himself in the position (a uniformed one) that westerns are thought to see as some sort of authority.

A lucky boy.

So do you think that Western security guards are educated?!?

At least in Western World they finished school and little more then 3 years. In some countries had to go to security school for 3+ weeks and in many cases are studying while working night shift to get through uni.

In other country's as Australia, many guards are from Eastern Europe and simply could not get a job in their field, and they were doctors, engineers, lawyers and so on.

So yeah Western country's security guards are 100% more educated.

There will never be an hour or two delay at the consulate in Vientiane. I've been there 6 times,

I've been there 60000000 times and its been delayed by two hours+ on several occassions!

Pay attention. I'm talking about opening and closing times, not waiting time. Waiting in a queue is not a "delay".

Not worth the electrons to argue with 'mericans. Good advise was given and it will help some people obtain their visas who would otherwise have let themselves be turned back to wait another day, or would be forced to pay a nearby tout and feel pretty good about his 'street smarts' doing so, I guess tropo is in the second category.

People that read the topic can form their own opinion and either use the information or not, up to them.

What is this dumb fascination you have with Americans? Why would you assume that anyone who disagrees with you is American?

Talking about "street smarts", I pay a guy 500 baht to do my visa application including all transport in an aircon van from the border to consulate to hotel and then he drops the passport off at my hotel and drives me back to the border the next day. Did I mention it is all inclusive.

I can arrive at the consulate anytime from opening until closing time and wait for 5 minutes maximum even if there are 500 people waiting. I'm relaxing back at the hotel less 30 minutes after leaving the border, application completed.

Who did you say is smart?

There will never be an hour or two delay at the consulate in Vientiane. I've been there 6 times,

I've been there 60000000 times and its been delayed by two hours+ on several occassions!

Pay attention. I'm talking about opening and closing times, not waiting time. Waiting in a queue is not a "delay".

Pay attention- I was paying attention. 6 times does not an expert make you.

Pay attention- I was paying attention. 6 times does not an expert make you.

How many times does it take to become a so called "expert".

6 times puts me right at the start of when they started issuing double entry tourist visas late in 2007 and I have kept a very close eye on every Vientiane visa report since then. I'm as expert as you find on here.

What are your credentials?

It doesn't matter how many times I have been there, only that I have experienced a delay in opening of more than 2 hours on more than one of those visits. Any other detail is entirely irrelevant to argument at hand.

You expect me to believe the Consulate opened at 10:30 am the day you went there?...and you never bothered to report this here?