My New Toy - Mini Camera

prepress

Would like to show you a sample movie from my new mini camera. It is attached to my helmet.

Here is a short ride from Sukhumvit into Soi 4 to my appartment.

Hope my link is working. Thanks ScubaBuddha for your help. :)

Prepress

post-54807-1264830179_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maestro
Fixed embedded video link - Maestro

It is actually quite a remarkable video considering the small size and the way it is mounted

Almost like being right there on Soi 4

Watching it on full speed on youtube was quite good

Does it record in MP4?

What is the capacity of the memory?

What is the make and model of this nice camera?

Much appreciate the little movie in itself too, particularly as you rode past the 711 by the Rajah Hotel where I stayed for a week three years ago (the hotel, not the 711 9-) and it's good to see that things are still rather much the same as back then when I was there.

As asked a few times already, the details on where to buy this little mini-camera that I could tape to my helmet would be wonderful. I'd also like to ask if there is some kind of hand-held remote control to start and stop recording along the way without having to stop the bike and take off the helmet, and with a nice compact sort of web-sized resolution of 800x600, and with 2MbGb of memory (for example), how many minutes in total can this gizmo remember?

It's great, although I suggest you get softer suspension or else a comfy seat and spongy handgrips to help reduce vibration noise!

:)

Edited by SeanMoran

For more information about this camera - here is the link from the original factory:

http://www.aee.com/en/pro.asp?cid=27

You can see, test and buy it at MBK 3rd floor. The price for mine was 3000 Baht. They got a new model for 3500 Baht.

Disadvantage so far: only 20 FPS, max 640 x 480, no remote switch, no view finder, no memory and battery indicator

Advantage: very small, solid metal case (no plastic) easy download with USB to every PC or Mac, movie is AVI format.

There is a similar model - name MUVI. I think it is a copy. Yes, even Chinese copy each other...

prepress

For more information about this camera - here is the link from the original factory:

You can see, test and buy it at MBK 3rd floor. The price for mine was 3000 Baht. They got a new model for 3500 Baht.

Disadvantage so far: only 20 FPS, max 640 x 480, no remote switch, no view finder, no memory and battery indicator

Advantage: very small, solid metal case (no plastic) easy download with USB to every PC or Mac, movie is AVI format.

There is a similar model - name MUVI. I think it is a copy. Yes, even Chinese copy each other...

prepress

Thanks mate! Cheers and thanks. I'll put it on my shopping list before I go on tour, and learn to switch it on and off from the forehead position. 640x480 should allow for good enough videos for the web. I wouldn't want them any smaller, and any bigger means fewer minutes for the same memory card.

My wide-web-world just started turning again!

..thanks ScubaBuddha for your help..

Your welcome.

You need to do one thing a little different when embedding youtube though. Remove the "

" and "[/code box] (no space) from the ends of the code. That way you get rid of the pink codebox around the youtube vid.

//Edit: Correct. I've fixed it in the OP. -- Maestro

Edited by Maestro
Added edit note - Maestro

prepress

Hey all,

FWIW I just bought a little camera that looks remarkably similar to this:

2009339291027555.jpg

But it's 30FPS and 720x480 resolution.

Bought it on the ground floor at Pantip (left side as you enter) for only 1800 Baht with 4Gb memory card included. Seems a pretty good deal and takes pretty decent video but have not yet tested it out on the bike.

Will try and take some vids on the bike tomorrow to share so you can judge the quality.

Ride On!

Tony

FWIW I just bought a little camera that looks remarkably similar to this:

2009339291027555.jpg

But it's 30FPS and 720x480 resolution.

Bought it on the ground floor at Pantip (left side as you enter) for only 1800 Baht with 4Gb memory card included. Seems a pretty good deal and takes pretty decent video but have not yet tested it out on the bike.

Tony

Hi Tony,

mine looks excactly the same. But with 20 FPS and 640 x 480 res. Are you shure it does 30 FPS with 720 x 480 res? If yes, then you made a very good deal. :D

Looking forward to see your test :)

prepress

prepress

Seeing that the MUVI was the first on the market - how can it be a clone?

"Only 20 FPS"; Muvi 25 - 30fps depending on SD card

"No remote switch"; just how far away are your hands from your forehead/helmet?

"No view finder, no memory and battery indicator"; what do you want for the money then? If you want one with a viewfinder and remote, try the ATC5K but it's much more cumbersome.

Look up 'hipponokloo' on youtube for ATC5K (& ATC2K) and MUVI videos

How do you check out the vendors BS that the camera has 30FPS and 720x480 resolution?

Is there an easy way in the shop? :)

Cuz it said so on the box and I verified it when I got home (Windows 7 has some cool gadgets)... Sales clerk was totally cool- said if I had any problems just bring it back.

Got one nice vid of the gf in the shower, but can't share that here :D

Busy Sunday- Will try and get out for a ride before dark.

Yep i agree to much movement. Tony are you coming out the Samphran bike show this weekend? If so and if you have time can you get me a camera from pantip? :)

Hi Allan,

Picking up the Ninja from Kawasaki today (12000km service and new tires). Dunno anything about the Samphran bike show and doubt I can make it...

Ride On!

Tony

Looks clear, tho why is it pillarboxed and letterboxed ??

This is the 1800 baht one right ?? Did it come with memory and what kind of record time did the memory give ??

Hi LivinLOS,

I was able to upload to YouTube in HD but it took multiple attempts because my internet connection and speed has been crap lately. Likewise, when you view YouTube these days it seems like it determines your connection speed and plays back in whatever resolution it thinks is best for your connection. So if you have a slow connection you'll get a low res vid.

The camera came with a 4Gb Micro SD card:

MicroSDhc.JPG

I'm not sure how many minutes of video will fit on one 4Gb card. Flash memory is pretty cheap these days though so I may pick up one more card as backup.

Ride On!

Tony

I was able to upload to YouTube in HD but it took multiple attempts because my internet connection and speed has been crap lately. Likewise, when you view YouTube these days it seems like it determines your connection speed and plays back in whatever resolution it thinks is best for your connection. So if you have a slow connection you'll get a low res vid.

Good speeds here and no prob with YT HD.. That wasnt what I mean anyway.

For me, looking at the YT box embedded on the thread, its got black bars left / right and top bottom.. It only uses a sub set of the video box.. But looking on YT its better. Just odd..

Just pick up one of the aiptek action hd can shoot in 1080 hd at either 30P or 720/60P for action. Take a clamp mount onto the bike. I will take some shots on a bike next time in Thailand. It really is an amazing little camera and under 200 US.

Heres one of the GO-Pro cam, although I dont condone this kind of motorcycle behavior on the road :D

Ha ha! That's a good one! :D I like the wide angle and stable image of the Go Pro cam. :) I don't like how big it is though- basically the same size as a point and shoot digital camera. There are some pretty cool waterproof digital cameras out there now from the likes of Fuji and Canon that are not very expensive and take good quality video. Know of any retailers here in Thailand that sell the Go Pro or do I have to have one sent over? Ride On! Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK