Dress Patterns

eek

Want to get back into making my own clothes.

Im pretty good at making my own patterns, but would like to check out any for sale also. They are also a good base for adapting to what i want too.

Where can i get hold of them?

Also, any tips on where good fabric shops would be? I suspect warorot is the best place, yes?

Finally, I was thinking before to ship over my sewing machine from the UK, but seems i would have to pay a huge amount of tax on it, so, im just going to buy one. Looked in airport plaza today, but they didnt have any. Any suggestions where to get one?

Thank you! :)

Eek, I'd suggest you spend a day checking out the many sewing-related shops around the Warorot/Kad Luang area. Be sure to go up the side alleys and you'll find treasures like Kul, a shop that specializes in trims like lace, zippers, buttons, etc. Finding fabric isn't a problem in that area and there are many sewing machine shops along Chang Moi. I haven't looked for patterns, but will keep an eye out and ask some sewing friends. Me -- I just buy the fabric and trims and take 'em to a dressmaker with sketches or photos of what I'd like her to make. Much easier and cheaper in the long run, although Hubby gets nervous when he sees me eyeing the sewing machines. I may give in -- they have old style Singer machines just like the one my mother had from the 1940s; the one I used to learn to sew as a child.

• 1 year later...

There used to be a place in Airport plaza selling (Elna??) machines, perhaps they have gone now. There also used to be a Singer shop that also sold sewing machine up what is now the Sunday walking street. They used to be near the traffic lights on the right hand side heading away from Thapae. Bought an electronic one in there 18 years ago but perhaps that shop is now defunct as well.

I'm afraid I can't add much. I've been thru most of the shops in the Warorot market area and haven't found any that sell dress patterns. Based on what I see with my Thai dressmaker, the local people make their own using discarded newspapers. I cringe when I look at some of her patterns on my Shinawatra silk, but the final results are just fine. I wish I could be more helpful. May I suggest visiting my friend Dr. Google for more information abou dress patterns? I have friends who really like him.

But i should add for the record, i never did find patterns..just ended up making my own. Sorry to not be of help to anyone else interested :/

Did you ever find a sewing machine? My younger sister used to travel to India all the time (she wrote several books about India) and she would bring some of her favourite clothes to the Indian tailors. They would take the dress or suit apart to be used as a pattern and then make two new ones as well as resewing up the original. My sister was always pleased with the results. When I want something altered I just bring it to Thailand and they adjust it for me at very little cost.

What Ian...? You don't sew? wink.gif

Right now I am in this interesting interaction with a dressmaker. She speaks Thai and I don't. I decided to renew my wardrobe with only customized pieces, so I have a long walk to go...

I make sketches and I pantomime it to her.

Even though having clothes made is affordable, crafting your own is fun... try it Ian, I think you'd like it... (hehehe...)

Edited by Soulwy