Best thai bank

I've had a quick snout about in this forum, but can't see this question answered anywhere, so here it is:

Which is the best bank to open an account with in Thailand?

I ask because I opened an account for my girlfriend the other day at Thai Farmers Bank, and the first question they asked her (in Thai, of course) was 'is it for you or the farang?'. Apparently, it seems they have better 'promotions' for Thais. I wasn't too impressed with this, nor the fact that their computers kept crashing which delayed us by about half-an-hour, so decided when I come to open my own account in a few weeks time, I thought I'd shop about a bit.

My girlfriend says that Krungthep (Bangkok) Bank, and Ayuthayya (sp?) are good banks, and have very nice, friendly, helpful staff.

In fact, I've been into the local Bangkok Bank branch a few times (in Nathon, Samui), and whilst waiting for my Thai friends to do their business, the otherwise bored-looking security guy was keen to chat, and offered me a copy of the Bangkok Post to read too. The staff behind the counters were all smiling. It was very nice.

However, friendly service is one thing, but, how good are they at looking after my money?

Another friend of mine had a little money in a local bank, and one day he went to check up on it, and they'd bricked up the doors of the branch! It turned out they'd been absorbed by another bank, but he'd not had a letter telling him about it, nor was his existing bank book valid until it had been replaced with an updated one (which apparently would take more than a few days to do). I don't recall the name of the bank, but I don't think it was one of the major ones.

Anyone else care to share their experiences or recommendations of banking in Thailand? I'd be interested to hear about both personal banking and for business accounts.

Thanks,

No bank looks after YOUR money. Only their money!

But saying that, if it's a business account try Siam Comercial or bank of Asia because thay have internet facilities. If it's personal then any will do because you only need an ATM card and hopefully never have to go in to the branch!

Oh, I should add that Internet Banking is desirable. I like to check my account from time to time, and maybe do a transfer or two, without having to travel into town. Also, I'm not a Microsoft drone, so it needs to be a decent, standards-compliant website.

TFB lost out again on this count. I looked at their site, and found that they use dodgy Microsoft-biased Javascript hacks for vital navigational features, so I wasn't able to navigate past their homepage! Some people (like me) use systems such as Apple Macs, Unix/Linux (Internet-ready TVs/games consoles) etc. but because such sites are designed for Microsoft rather than being standards-compliant, they aren't much good to us. I sent them an e-mail about it, but it looks like they ignored it. Their loss. We may be a minority, but we're still potential business for them.

And, again, Bangkok Bank win big time. I was able to navigate through their site easily, access their demo site, and read all about their services. They even have a 'browser test'. It complained because I didn't have MSIE, but it still confirmed that I would be able to use the service. I was *very* impressed. They're definitely top of my list so far.

• 5 years later...

We sent some money from SCB chaweng to family in Cambodia, we were charged for sending , family were charged for collecting but they said "all the money is not here can you check with your bank" our SCB said trouble at cambodian bank but after confirming with family the money was missing from this end, when I tackled them about it I was cold shouldered and still are, they did'nt like it when I pointed out to them that they are paid to look after my money not to lose it, it has never been resolved if I mention it they just walk away.