Pre-existing Conditions

peanut

Sorry to bring this up again, I know it's been discussed a lot. This is about pre-existing conditions that have been declared when signing the contract.

However, I would appreciate it if someone could explain this:

- I keep reading in other posts that insurance companies will cover people's pre-existing conditions after two years

- but after 4 years I still receive a letter stating that they won't cover anything related to my condition.

Does it depend on what kind of condition? If so, which ones are "not covered" forever and which ones for 2 years?

Or does it depend on the company?

Thanks.

Yes, it depends of which condition and which company.

The best is that you ask them to state clearly what do they cover, and after how long.

Mine stated 2 years, and unfortunately, I had a problem related to my condition after a bit more than 2 years, and the company paid!

every insurance co.is different.because of my age they exclude a couple of things that were age related,they were n't pre existing conditions,and they said after 2 years they would review.2 pre existing conditions they would not cover for medications to treat.And as i am still a smoker i had to agree to pay the first 25% of any bill that related to treatment that was deemed caused by smoking.When i took out the policy i was very particular in getting exact clarification from them.

To answer your questions 'yes' it does to a certain extent depend on the company as different companies have different underwriting criteria but generally it depends on the condition.

As everyone is different the only way is to send in an application form and ask for a proposal - asking other people of their exclusions is not a way to compare with your own set of requirements.

About the two-year timeframe, and sometimes longer depending on the insurer, that means you're declaring to them that you've been free of treatment AND symptoms for the malady in question for the entire (two-year) time.

Also, for those with existing Thai policies, I would guess that even insurers who generally follow the two-year rule won't automatically remove the pre-existing condition at renewal time. I'm presuming, you have to know and be willing to declare to them that you've been symptom and treatment-free for the two-year period.

Then your insurer can consider that at your next renewal time, and you'll find out the result.

• 5 months later...

Pre-existing conditions are any declared or undeclared medical conditions.

Pre-existing conditions are normally categorized by the long description below, items 1. to 6. are all linked together as if they are in one sentence.

1. Any medical condition or related condition for which you have received treatment.

2. Or medical condition that you had symptoms of.

3. Or to the best of your knowledge knew this condition existed.

4. Or sought advice for this condition.

5. Or taken (prescription or non-prescription) medication for treatment.

6. Prior to the start date of the insurance policy.

Two types of medical underwriting affecting pre-existing conditions:

Full medical underwriting policies

1.The majority of health insurers use this method for screening applicants.

2.Medical underwriting requires applicants to honestly disclose all their pre-existing medical conditions.

3.Underwriters will review applications and propose the exclusion wording for the customer to accept.

4.Only in some cases, can exclusion wording be revised at start of policy.

5.Exclusion wording has to be agreed on at the start of the policy, there is very little chance of changing this in the future.

6.Changes to exclusions have to be accompanied by medical reports that are acceptable to the underwriters. There is no guarantee that exclusions will be deleted or changed.

Moratorium underwriting policies

1.With moratorium underwriting, after 2 years of continuous cover, some pre-existing medical conditions will become eligible for benefit.

For a particular condition to be covered, it is required that in the first 2 continuous years of the policy;

You did not have to consult any doctor for medical treatment,

Or take any medication,

Or suffer any symptoms for that medical condition,

Or suffer symptoms for any related condition.

2.Many pre-existing conditions will never be covered by a moratorium policy, such as;

Diabetes.

Hypertension (raised blood pressure).

Hyperlipidemia (raised cholesterol levels).

Ischemic heart disease.

Cancer.

Thyroid disease.

Auto-immune disorders.

Arthritis.