Toll Fee Hike Slashes Toll Way Users

webfact

Toll fee hike slashes toll way users

BANGKOK: -- 1 February 2010 (NNT) - There is a 30% reduction of toll way usage after the Don Muang toll fee was raised but the operator has reported an increase in revenue.

The number of cars reduced by 20,000, according to Sombat Panichiva, Board Chairman of Don Muang Tollway Public Co.,Ltd.

The fee for regular cars has increased from 55 THB to 85 THB or by 54.5% and 95 THB to 125 THB for big vehicles. The fee increase has been imposed since 22 December 2009. Before the fee hike, there were about 80,000 using the toll way. After the fee increase, an increase in come of 10% or 400,000 THB per day has been reported.

However, the chairman expressed his confidence that the toll usage was expected to increase, as drivers considered that it saved time, helped them avoid traffic, and economized fuel.

Mr Sombat however confirms that the fee hike imposed was under the concession agreement between the government’s Highways Department and the Don Muang Tollway Plc despite protests from many sides.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-02-01

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

To make all the rich people happy, they should triple the rate and only 20k cars will use it per day, while increasing revenue by another 20%.

Or they could find one really rich person who is willing to pay 5 million baht a day for the honor of having it all to himself.

Think of the gain in face for that person.

Where exactly does this tollway run from / to?

Is the the one from Din Daeng out to Rangsit that passes the old airport?

I think it actually starts at Don Meaung to Rangsit. If my memory is correct there is a toll plaza at Din Deang another one before Don Meaung and a last one before Rangsit, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

To make all the rich people happy, they should triple the rate and only 20k cars will use it per day, while increasing revenue by another 20%.

Or they could find one really rich person who is willing to pay 5 million baht a day for the honor of having it all to himself.

:D:):D

Ahhhhh.........wouldn't it be better to lower the price on the toll road to ease traffic jams on non-toll roads?

I think that may have been one of the reasons they built it in the first place.

How many more things can they manage to screw up?

Tourism industry (screwed)......visa system (screwed)........image abroad (screwed)........transportation system (screwed).....etc.

I wouldn't blame the toll way owner here. Its been loss making for years after the governemnt broke its promises.

The government renegged on pulling down some of the fly-overs on the road underneath the tollway when the tollway was built.

This would have forced people to use the tollway, freeing the roads below for local traffic only. At the moment, people have a 'free' alternative down below and block it for everyone.

I wouldn't blame the toll way owner here. Its been loss making for years after the governemnt broke its promises.

The government renegged on pulling down some of the fly-overs on the road underneath the tollway when the tollway was built.

This would have forced people to use the tollway, freeing the roads below for local traffic only. At the moment, people have a 'free' alternative down below and block it for everyone.

and that's why I now opt to drive down below that I think 85 baht isn't really worth such a short drive on expressway for everyday commute (say, for instance compared to Bang Na elevated expressway that stretches all the way to Bang Pakong for 55 baht). When the traffic is really heavy like Friday evening I just reroute to second stage expressway from either Bang Pa-in or Rangsit (Thammasat U. Rangsit campus) as the traffic on the old first stage expressway connecting Don Muang tollway is often too congested anyway. It is a bit of a detour but then it saves more time while I drive longer on the expressway for less than I do on Don Muang tollway + 1st stage epxressway. I still used the Don Muang tollway on daily basis when they raised the toll from 30 baht to 55 baht, but 85 baht is simply too much for a short drive with too many toll booths (with speed trap almost every other day). I just wish they stop sprinkling water to the plants dividing Viphavadi Rangsit with slow moving tanker on the fast lane during morning rush hour.

Edited by Nordlys

I just wish they stop sprinkling water to the plants dividing Viphavadi Rangsit with slow moving tanker on the fast lane during morning rush hour.

Tollway is probably paying for that! :)

Five years ago, I used to use the tollway exlusively, now with the airport gone and tolls up to 170B for round trip, & the road underneath being OK traffic flow 90% of the time, I don't use the top section anymore.

I accidentally used this tollway on Sunday, I was shocked at how high the price rise was and if I knew that was the one, I would have driven 'underneath'... I won't use it again.

rip off..

On a nice note... easypass is working well.. nice to see all those people waiting to pay..

MNM

Five years ago, I used to use the tollway exlusively, now with the airport gone and tolls up to 170B for round trip, & the road underneath being OK traffic flow 90% of the time, I don't use the top section anymore.

For most including me it's 260 baht (85 + 45 baht X 2) round trip unless your commute originates from Din Daeng or Pratunam area as most using Don Muang tollway begin their trip from the other part of the city connecting from first stage or other expressways.

Edited by Nordlys

unless you are traveling before 6am from Rangsit to BKK the underpass adds at least 1 hour to your travelling time, I don't know how much everyone gets paid an hour but I get a lot more than 85B so an increase of 35B isnt too bad.

Plus now all the sticky people are sitting in thier cars using the underpass for an extra hour using petrol, trying to get out of BKK, I get home in 45mins :)

:D:D:D

Ahhhhh.........wouldn't it be better to lower the price on the toll road to ease traffic jams on non-toll roads?

Tourism industry (screwed)......visa system (screwed)........image abroad (screwed)........transportation system (screwed).....etc.

Yes, having used the Tollway a few days ago in a taxi and being shocked at the ridiculous increase (it was 60b a 50% increase) at the ramp we entered this was the first thing I thought, TIT now the entire purpose of a tollway is completely undermined since traffic on Viphavadi will increase ten fold and it was already untenable. These people are complete idiots make a reasonable increase and maintain user numbers and reduce traffic below, save fuel for less stop and go and increase revenues across the board, the typical Thai way of problem solving, increase tolls beyond most peoples means create a shortfall and then spin it as an "increase in revenues" ... :)

Now all of the baht shuttle buses that use it to go to Swampy for example are required to pay more as well instead they should be getting discounts for car pooling numbers of passengers in one vehicle (one of which is often Mrs. Warped) and reducing the vehicle numbers on the highway but instead they get penalized for it.. :D Nonsense!

:D:):D

Privately owned tollway

They do not care about easing traffic

only care about increasing profits.

They have reached their goal

Me & J Chandler used this tollway going to the new immigration place mid Jan. We woundered why the toll plaza was deserted. (At Din Daeng). When well pulled up to the window I found out. 60 baht for the trip to Chaeng Wattana. Never again. I'll get down with the plebs on the surface. KMA don Muang tollway. Take the other loop to Mueang Tong Thani - 10 baht. SWEET.

Unless you are going the full length it really is not worth it, except during rush hour, but I expect the usage will increase as people get tired of the jam below.

Since the government froze the toll some years ago in violation of the concession agreement, the operator is only doing what he was told he could do when it was frozen and has always been contractually entitled to do. But then so many people here have a problem when a company wants to make a profit.

TH

Unless you are going the full length it really is not worth it, except during rush hour, but I expect the usage will increase as people get tired of the jam below.

Since the government froze the toll some years ago in violation of the concession agreement, the operator is only doing what he was told he could do when it was frozen and has always been contractually entitled to do. But then so many people here have a problem when a company wants to make a profit.

TH

Bull Sh...t!!! (not really, just giving you a chance to earn your 300th post mate) :)

Th whole idea of the discount is so the Dom Mueng Police (the nastiest) can get you for an alleged speeding fine or other made up conviction like not having enough air in your tyres or even not signalling. It has nothing to do with helping the people. Yes I am an old cynic. But from someone who was stopped 12 days in a row, with the same old story (200 baht) and for no reason. It is justified.

Bull Sh...t!!! (not really, just giving you a chance to earn your 300th post mate) :)

I think you missed a zero there bud.... Can't you get your fuc_king facts straight on even something as simple as that?

:D

TH

Sorry TH, I was too excited and missed a 0. Remind me in advance when the next opportunity rolls around. :D

Easy now! Someone in a position to do just that might read this! :)

unless you are traveling before 6am from Rangsit to BKK the underpass adds at least 1 hour to your travelling time, I don't know how much everyone gets paid an hour but I get a lot more than 85B so an increase of 35B isnt too bad.

Plus now all the sticky people are sitting in thier cars using the underpass for an extra hour using petrol, trying to get out of BKK, I get home in 45mins :D

This is a dramatic over exaggeration. Driving underneath at 8 am adds at most 20 minutes if you do it everyday and know when and where to drive outside vs. inside. With NGV the additional fuel increase is minimal, and if you are truly doing this trip everyday then you will save substantially with the conversion. Rangsit I believe has more NGV stations than anywhere else in Thailand.

Just say no to this absolutely inhuman price increase on the Don Muang tollway. It is a crime against humanity, and anyone who pays this extortionist rate should be tried as a conspirator to terrorism. :)

Privately owned tollway

They do not care about easing traffic

only care about increasing profits.

They have reached their goal

Do you mean the private company that owns it can do whatever it wants in terms of fees?

That seems very strange to me. But TIT.

Don't forget to add in the 200 baht police extortion fee at the Laksi toll gate.

I don't understand why people pay these fines if they've done nothing wrong.

Ask for a legit fine, which they'll never give if you've not done anything. Sit there, stall, actually contradict them, and they'll be sick of you and they'll let you go.

Good, I wish they would do that will all the toll roads in BKK, to keep the traffic down. I'm happy to pay more to keep it flowing faster. Let em use public transportation it's good in BKK and cheap, the MRT is under used and could use the over flow.