Hotel In Hanoi

penelope

Wife and I are going to visit Hanoi for the first time soon.Will stay maybe 5 days.

We want to stay in a hotel that is historic,well appointed, has character,interesting architecture, maybe something from the colonial era. Price is not a concern.

Can anyone recommend anything ?

Hilton Hanoi Opera

Stayed there a few times, nice location and comfortable. Right next to the Opera House Hanoi.

More info here

or you could browse through Hanoi Hotels here.

Explorer  :o

Cheers.Hilton looks nice, plus i get perks at the Hilton with my credit card :

- Complimentary upgrade to the next room category

- 10% discount on food and beverages

- Late check-out till 4 p.m.

- Welcome drink

I'll give it a go for a couple of nights at least.

Thanks.

Then it can only be the Metropole. Its one of the classics of Indo-china. Colonial French Architecture. Very refined. Egyptian cotton sheets.

All other hotels in town are same-same. The Metropole is a classic.

The wife and I stayed there once and didn't want to leave the rooms, the beds were so comfy!

Also when in Hanoi, make sure you get to this great French restuarant which acts as a training ground for underpriveleged kids to learn the service industry (Cant remember the name). Cause they are in training, the service can be a bit scratchy and you may not necessairly get what you order. But the food is fantastic, the atmosphere great and its all for a good cause anyway.

Then it can only be the Metropole. Its one of the classics of Indo-china. Colonial French Architecture. Very refined. Egyptian cotton sheets.

The wife and I stayed there once and didn't want to leave the rooms, the beds were so comfy!

Also when in Hanoi, make sure you get to this great French restuarant which acts as a training ground for underpriveleged kids to learn the service industry (Cant remember the name). Cause they are in training, the service can be a bit scratchy and you may not necessairly get what you order. But the food is fantastic, the atmosphere great and its all for a good cause anyway.

cheers, i'll check that out too.

Agree.. beautiful hotel and a nice little bar at the back... I must have spent the best part of a year hanging out there.

In fact I was there one afternoon (as usual) when this film crew turned up doing a documentary about the war (what else) and guess who turned up (for history buffs) none other than ...No not Uncle Ho..he died in 1969..but the guy who was and is still considered the worlds best revolutionary soldier..General Giap.

I had like most of us followed his adventures from his time fighting against the Japs in WW2,then beating the French at the battle of Dien bin Pheu and finally through and against the Yanks in the VN war/conflict. :D

Remember asking him the same old ..usual question ...Did he hate the U.S of A

No.... he answered ....in fact.......well thats another story.... :D

Dont know if hes is still alive now but what a guy....... :D

anyway..

Some more hotels with info including one near the origional Hanoi "hilton" :o

http://www.hotelpath.com/Accommodation_Hanoi-2758-1/

has anyone used the Sofitel Privilege card ? I quite like the look of the Sofitel Metropole.As a Visa Infinite holder, I can also get perks at Sofitels...but I have to actually send away for this Sofitel Privilege card first. Is it worth it ? I've never actually stayed at a Sofitel, but have dined at a few of them.

Wife and I are going to visit Hanoi for the first time soon.Will stay maybe 5 days.

We want to stay in a hotel that  is historic,well appointed, has character,interesting architecture, maybe something from the colonial era. Price is not a concern.

Can anyone recommend anything ?

I know an American who stayed at the Hilton back in '72. Bit of a problem when the hotel staff chained him to railing for 6 months. :o