Friendly government official?

TRIPxCORE

Khun wife had to go and renew her Thai ID card the other day in Udon Thani.  I did not go with her but she told me later that at this office, one of the higher ranking officials there is a friend of her family.  She said they spoke for a bit and he told her that if I bring him a cowboy hat from America that he would be most appreciative and could help us with any problems we might have when we move to Thailand.  I dont what kind of help he could provide, if any, or any for me anyway?  The wife, being a Thai citizen, doesnt really need any help with anything official in-country but would it be a good idea for me to have this guy on my side?  Could a provincial official wield any real power when we plan on living in BKK?  If so, I wouldnt mind at all getting him a hat.  ANy advice on this matter?????

Buy It !

On second thoughts, he might take this as a sign of easy access to worldly goods. You might end up having to give him constant 'pressies' in order to keep him happy. By the end of the month you will have given him the whole outfit!

Guest IT Manager

If he had asked for money etc., all the above would sound fair and normal. He didn't. He asked for something you simply can't get here.

How much will it hurt to buy a cowboy hat? If you don't he may say Keenio, but doubt much else. If you do, you get invited for drinks and make new friends.

On a recent client run to a place near the Burmese border I went through the army checkpoint. Here is how it went:

Soldier boy (maybe 18 yrs old) to my son. Where are you going?

Son: To visit a customer of my father

Boy: Where

Son; (village name)

Boy: When you come back?

Son: 2 hours maybe 3

Boy: We have dinner at 6.30. Maybe see you then.

Coming back stopped by the same soldier. "Was it good visit?

Son: Yes, (handed him some pork kebebs and sticky rice), for you, have a good night.

Wonder about the next trip. It's the same, cost nothing, just a bit of thought. Helps good memory. maybe one day is good for other things, but now, just nice to be able to do it. Why ask what benefit all the time? It doesn't hurt to be pleasant.

Small gifts make friends. A cowboy hat can make a friend for life.

A provincial official in the big Mango can be a big help

to you in future. What is real power to be wielded?

An un-official word from him in future will solve many of your

daily problems.

I have a few friends from Nakhon Nowhere, they are excited to

go to Bangkok. They are in high esteem at home to have you, a foreigner in Bangkok as friend. You need help some day, they will help.