Great R & B Rock Band!

IanForbes

We just came back from a great night at the Brasserie restaurant-pub on the river. They have a fantastic guitar band if you like rhythm and blues rock from the 1960s and 70s. The sound system was just right without blowing out your eardrums. You can hear the lyrics but the music really fills your soul. And, these guys are GOOD!

A Thai fellow by the name of Took is the head liner and he should rank up with the best guitarists in the world. Wow! is all I have to say.

They play most nights, but I think Took told me he personally takes off Sundays and Mondays. The band starts about 10 PM and plays pretty much non stop until 1 AM.

I have no connection with either the band or the restaurant, but I thought others might like a night of great live music. I'll probably go back again tomorrow, but with my video camera this time. Lots of people were recording on video, cel phones and cameras.

Took is world famous in Chiang Mai. :D

Great music. Thanks for reminding me, I haven't been for a while.

The latest rumour is that Country Joe and The Fish are coming to Guitarman soon.

I'm not sure which it is, but either Country Joe or The Fish may not make it though. Hopefully, it's not just the Fish.  :)

Edited by KevinHunt

Thailand is no stranger to good guitarist. :)

Jack Thammarat won the 2009 guitar idol with this song.

Kind of Eric Johnson/ Satriani sounding.

But I have heard him play many styles from blues to rock all equally impressive

I live just down the road from the Brasserie and for a long time it was a regular stop off on the way home and I must have seen Took literally 50 times over the past 6-7 years and he is, when he in the mood, spectacular entertainment. Last time I was there he had the full 4 piece band backing him and they played nothing but Pink Floyd. Now I'm more a blues man myself but seeing these lads really enjoying themselves banging out Floyd one after the other was an absolute joy.

On the subject of live music anyone been over to see Chai play lately? I havn't for better than 6 months and hopefully he's still playing but crowds were minimal last couple of times I was there.

ha ha. this is like writing a letter to a london newspaper telling everyone about this great guitarist named eric clapton.

no offense of course. it's great that you managed to discover him. seeing took used to be a mandatory part of a good night's out in the 90s. chiang mai has grown so much since then and there is so much new live music that many newer visitors never even hear about him. it's a shame.

he's a genuinely nice guy and a great talent. i've jammed with him several times and he is incredibly welcoming and humble when playing with others who are not of his caliber.

his nephew, boy is also a fantastic guitarist (more of a mellow traditional blues style), and usually opens for his uncle. boy is also an incredibly nice guy.

ha ha. this is like writing a letter to a london newspaper telling everyone about this great guitarist named eric clapton.

Who is Eric Clapton? :):D:D

I know what you mean about so many good musicians in Chiang Mai. If Took were living in North America then he WOULD be world famous... and wealthy to boot. As it stands right now he is just a real nice family man with an incredible talent.

Took is world famous in Chiang Mai. :D

Great music. Thanks for reminding me, I haven't been for a while.

The latest rumour is that Country Joe and The Fish are coming to Guitarman soon.

I'm not sure which it is, but either Country Joe or The Fish may not make it though. Hopefully, it's not just the Fish.  :)

It's just the Fish, and the appearance at Guitarman has not been confirmed. He will definitely be in Bangkok however.

WOW! very good indeed. Is there a cover charge? Anyone care to say how much a large Leo or Singha goes for?

No cover charge, but I think a big bottle of Leo goes for about 120 baht. I don't drink very much so it's a pretty cheap and entertaining night for me. For a similar quality night on the town in Vancouver I would expect to pay $60 or more... about 1800 baht. And, I wouldn't be able to sit 10 feet from the band, or buy them a drink later.

Who is Eric Clapton? :):D:D

I know what you mean about so many good musicians in Chiang Mai. If Took were living in North America then he WOULD be world famous... and wealthy to boot. As it stands right now he is just a real nice family man with an incredible talent.

He is wealthy Ian.

He is wealthy Ian.

Good. With that talent he should be. But, I'm not sure if the Thai wealthy standards match up with the wealthy standards of Europe or North America.

As it stands now I'm waiting for my video camera to fully charge the battery before I leave for the show tonight.

Took is the owner of the Brasserie, far as I know.

Very talented musician, but too much "All Along The Watchtower" to my taste.

His nephew Boy is a marvelous blues musician.

Ian, you really need to get out more. Been to North Gate Jazz, Guitarman, etc.?

Lots of fantastic rock blues jazz alt in this town....

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Guitarman last night. It was pretty good, but the bands at Brasserie Pub & Restaurant are more our style so we went there. It was terrific. Boy and his band then Took joined in. Later, Took and his band played. We loved it and will try to make it there again before we leave!