Non Imm O - Retirement Extension Renewal

bjohn34

I really appreciate a direct answer to a direct question.

Even if it's wrong?

Like you, I'm not sure, but I heard the bank letter had to be same day.

Since read other threads where the bank letter has been accepted at three days old.

Yes it will not be a problem if you go Monday or Tuesday.do not get the letter before Friday or you will be sent back for another one .The same day is better as stated but i have not had a problem with the bank letter being 3 days old.

Edited by Patriciachas

The bank letter has to be from the same day. In some cases immigration accepts from the day before and a 3 day old is very lucky.

Always try to get one on the day you go to immigration, to be on the safe side. They can and often will send you back to the bank.

Like the OP, I have to do my first annual renewel next week. I can't see how someone can possibly get the bank letter in the morning and still make it out to Immigration that day in time to get a number from the machine. By all accounts, I need to be at Immigration at 8 or 8:30 am to have any hope of getting a place in line that day.

I plan to get the letter the day before I go to immigration. Wish me luck!

Like the OP, I have to do my first annual renewel next week. I can't see how someone can possibly get the bank letter in the morning and still make it out to Immigration that day in time to get a number from the machine. By all accounts, I need to be at Immigration at 8 or 8:30 am to have any hope of getting a place in line that day.

I plan to get the letter the day before I go to immigration. Wish me luck!

I agree---on the day is not very practical the way immigration is working now. If that were a requirement, hardly anyone would get a visa extension! Unless you were lucky the numbers for the day would have run out by the time you got from the bank to immigration. My bank letter was three days old when I got an extension in October and was accepted without comment.

No big problem--I did mine yesterday and since the bank I opened my Fixed Deposit account with is in Cental Airport Plaza therefore does not open until 11.00 a.m.-- so,at 08.15 a.m., before actually open, I went to the Immig. Office and got TM.7 and photocopied my bank book [which I updated the day before] and all the pages on my passport and even got a set of photos which I had run out of--I then went home for a coffee until my bank opened in Central Plaza, as soon as the branch opened the assistant manager wrote out the official letter--I then popped round the corner to Imm. Office and got a ticket and was told to return at 1.30 p.m. which I did; I was finished, with an updated 90 day report, multi-entry permit and new Retirement Ext. for my Non Imm 'O' visa by 3p.m.---not too painful. I personally would not chance a letter from a couple of days before but it's 'up to you'.

In October I arrived at CM Immigration only to find that all tickets for that day were already issued so I asked if I could use my bank letter when I applied again and was told that the letter is accepted up to 1 week after issue.

That was on a Thursday. I returned to the office the following Wednesday at 7.45 to ensure I would be seen that day and the letter was accepted. When the accplication was being finalised in the back office I asked again about the validity of the bank letter and was told that it is CM policy to accept the letter up to 1 week after issue.

I would like to point out that this was my experience, as we all know nothing is standard here, it really does depend on what the office interviewing you wants to do although it's very difficult to get a bank letter and then get a ticket to be seen that day.

Perhaps one way of doing it is to get a ticket for the afternoon and then visit the bank to get the letter before returning for the interview.

Edited by delboy

Well I dont know about the retirement visa but I have done 6 marriage extensions with the letter3 or 4 days old no problem. I went one year with a letter 7 days old and was told it was no good must be under a week. I was using the Bank of Attyuda and they had to send to BKK for the letter so after it was late that one time i changed to Bangkok bank which gives u the letter right then.

Heard of a new twist, maybe already posted?

800,000 baht in an account for 3 straight years untouched was not accepted as the officer said he needed to see movement in the account.

They might be querying how you financed yourself over the years.

If you have transfers coming in, currency exchange receipts or other bank accounts - keep the exchange receipts and show bank withdrawals, if asked.

Of course if you're married there is no Thai law to say your wife can't support you, as long as you have the required money in the bank for the visa........is there? :)

Everyone seems to meet jobsworth at some point or another. I haven't touched my 800,000 ever since it was increased to that ridiculous amount and no-one has ever said anything.........watch this space.

Heard of a new twist, maybe already posted?

800,000 baht in an account for 3 straight years untouched was not accepted as the officer said he needed to see movement in the account.

Some immigration offices also want to see some money movement, to see that you spend money. it is advisible to have a second account for that, or as an alternative if you use your ATM card from a bank abroad to save the ATM slips.

There is nothing in the rules about this, but this is how it works.

Two years ago I got my Bangkok Bank letter 8 days before I went in to do my yearly visa. Was told it couldn't be more than a week old or Bangkok immigration would refuse it when they got the paperwork.

Went back to the bank only to find out the manager was gone for the day and no one else could sign. Luckily as I always do, I didn't wait for the last day on my current visa to renew, so was able to go back to the bank the next day and get a new letter and get the renewal done before the expiration date.

I was under the impression that the letter from a Bank confirming the 800,000 in ones account was valid for seven days.

I do hope so as i just put one in to the Chiang Mai Immigration office that was two days old, and wont know untill tomorrow the out come.

May be this should be moved to the Visa sectioin where those two wizards of visa Knowledge Lite Beer and lotburi prowl.

I was under the impression that the letter from a Bank confirming the 800,000 in ones account was valid for seven days.

I do hope so as i just put one in to the Chiang Mai Immigration office that was two days old, and wont know untill tomorrow the out come.

May be this should be moved to the Visa sectioin where those two wizards of visa Knowledge Lite Beer and lotburi prowl.

Just think 'fickle' and hope you meet the officer who is having a good day.

CM Imm accepts up to 7 days.

I usually get it a day or so before my application for a new retirement extension.

4 years, no problem with the bank letter being from 2-5 days prior.

Had the same experience over 3 years. My concern is how long will they leaveit at 800,000 iff inflation kicks in they will be telling us its not enough !That will put the cat amongst the pidgeons I suspect .

The requirement for a bank letter in Phuket for me last year was that it must be the same day and that's really tough when your bank is in Bangkok (HSBC). I did however manage to get Immigration to complete all of the preliminaries and to wait for a couple of days whilst I went to Bangkok, got the letter and came back again - personally, I think the entire exercise was more about people trying to exert and demonstrate their authority and power than anything else. I think this year I will get the letter first and take a flight back soon after bank opening times and then hot foot it down to Immigration before they stop accepting applications for the day, you can see how this process can get frustrating and expensive.

Had the same experience over 3 years. My concern is how long will they leaveit at 800,000 iff inflation kicks in they will be telling us its not enough !That will put the cat amongst the pidgeons I suspect .

What dire consequences result from carelessly letting the 800,000 slip down to 799,546 just for a couple of days before quickly replenishing it with funds from a UK credit Card?

What dire consequences result from carelessly letting the 800,000 slip down to 799,546 just for a couple of days before quickly replenishing it with funds from a UK credit Card?

Similar questions have been posted here before and the result has always been that the applicant has to start all over again and apply for a brand new visa in their home country.