Compost Bin

Hi everyone,

I am about to build a compost bin out of timber (reclaimed softwood from pallets) and would like to treat it to prevent it rotting or getting eaten too quickly. I have looked at the timber treatments available in the usual HomePro type stores but am not sure if the chemicals in the treatments would be harmful to my compost or to the wildlife around and in it. Would be grateful if someone could give advice on which timber treatments are safe to use and as 'green' as possible.

On the same subject, I was going to use galvanised nails to build my bin but... Has anyone ever seen galvanised nails here in Thailand/Pattaya? Had expected them to be easily available considering the climate, but everyone has looked at my sample blankly. Luckily had a friend coming over from UK and he brought a couple of packs - which might just be enough for my bin - but it would be good to be able to source some for future use outdoors. So far all I've come up with is steel nails. Could use masonry nails of course but they will rust eventually too. Only other alternative for building wooden structures for permanence would probably be dowel, but that's a bit more time consuming.

Any suggestions most gratefully received.

On a different note, anyone have any recommendations for books on flora and fauna of Thailand - titles, publisher, author and where to buy around Pattaya or online would be great. Am really interested in identifying the plants in my garden and my various amphibian and reptilian visitors.

Thanks

mls

u might post a quick query int he do it yourself section of the housing forum; several guys there could probably direct u to galvanized nails/screws whatever.

same same for a query in the pet/vet forum: several times people have recommended good gardening books and also reptiles and snakes of thailand books... just cant remember. better to post separate queries for each thing to get some responses cause most folks in thaivisa dont wander through here in the organic forum unless they are really into organic.

bina

• 4 weeks later...
u might post a quick query int he do it yourself section of the housing forum; several guys there could probably direct u to galvanized nails/screws whatever.

same same for a query in the pet/vet forum: several times people have recommended good gardening books and also reptiles and snakes of thailand books... just cant remember. better to post separate queries for each thing to get some responses cause most folks in thaivisa dont wander through here in the organic forum unless they are really into organic.

bina

Thanks Bina,

Will try the other forums.

mls