Tuk-tuk, Taxi Drivers Held For Extortion

george

Should anyone be surprised when they are careless with their property and a finder keeps it?

Personally, I've never had a problem in LOS, even when my gf and I got wrecked in a bar in Phuket (just by way of a change) and went home leaving shopping, wallet and mobile behind. The (Thai) bar owner traced us and got a message to us to collect the stuff. (Having said that, we then went on to spend more in the bar than there was in the wallet and got wrecked again).

In general, I think that people are more honest here than in the UK and Europe, the US, South Africa and just about anywhere else I've been (the worst is the West Indies). Dunno if that is the same in business, though.

I bet this isn't the first time these a-holes pulled this kind of crap. Probably got away with it before :o . At least he got his wallet back. In America, chances are pretty slim he wouldn't see it again.

You are right, in America it would be gone in a minute.

I am an American and also an engineer,the guy is just to cheap to take a taxy,

a much safer way to travel in BKK.

As far as I know taxis are usually cheaper than tuk tuks... and its a fair price... Tuk Tuks aks just the same price if not even more (depending on traffic)

But who would pay 25,000 Baht for his wallet????? Just cancel the credit cards and ask the embassy for a new passport... Its a lot cheaper than 25,000 Baht (unless there is more money in the wallet)

Not the brightest of all, but at least he caught the perps.

My question is: "Did he get his money back or not?"

SD

I never had any problem with the Tuk Tuk Drivers, even though everyone was telling me all kinds of Horror Stories about them. There was ONE Tuk Tuk Driver that took me to a Particular Club in an effort to Conspire to Rip me off with the People of the Club, but when I took out a Girl from the Club Her Loyalty was to ME, (Or maybe SHE wanted my Money and didn't want to give Him any.) :) But She took me out the Back door and back to my Hotel. She never ripped me off.

But I DID have many Jeep Drivers in Pattaya who DID try to Rip me off Every day I was in Pattaya. They were trying to charge me 100 baht PER PERSON just to Ride up Pattaya Hill to Pattaya Hill Resort!! If you have a Partner with you all of a sudden we're talking 400 Baht Round TRIP! When it is only suppose to be 10 or 15 Baht!? So I rented a Motorcycle instead. The Nice Lady who Rents Motorci Next to the fishing Pier Rented me a Nice Motorcycle for 1000 Baht for one week. Had a Blast on it!

When I was staying in the Hilton in BKK I left my Lens Cap for my 35mm in the Taxi meter, and he brought it back and left it with the Bell Boy. So I just wanted to try to give you all a more Clear Picture, while there ARE many in Thailand who try to take advantage of people, I found many really Good Hearted people in Thailand. So I hope we can try to remember the GOOD people of Thailand more than we remember the Bad people.

Mark*

One girl drugged me and stole my wallet, containing 42,000 Baht. It was not easy to explain that to my gf.

I still think that Thai people are nicer than Westerners.

Bad people making the exception don't make the rules.

i take it that you being drugged by westerners then is quite a common experiance to accept your one time being drugged here in Thailand as not a bad thing.

lost my walled in Kata Phuket, got it back intact, my brother lost his camera, got it back. Lost my walled again in Srisaket, yep got it back. Never bean robbed, few time overpayed the guy's, but still learning.

and then 10.00 in morning why not walk from 17 to 22. 10-15 minutes?, save you money, and having a nice mornig exercise.

:D ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN!!!!!!!!!I LEFT MY POUCH WITH PASSPORT ECT. IN A TUK-TUK IN ARAN AND THE DRIVER CAME TO THE HOUSE WITH ALL IN PLACE. NOT ALL DRIVERS ARE BAD........HAVE A GREAT THAI DAY :o

RETIRED USN ARAN.............

Yes indeed,

Keeping things in perspective, maybe it's just the luck of the draw, but IMHO I've encountered more honesty than thievery here in LOS,

There will always be opportunist and common sense goes along way,

I remember once when checking out of a hotel I missed a drawer, some loose baht, TC's and other misc, being in transit I didn't return for several days.

They had put everything neatly in envelopes with my name on it and put it in their safe. mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

Advise to everybody:

Never EVER climb into a Taxi when there is already a girl in. Even though at a start, you might think that's funny. They will be a criminal team robbing you, and yes, as posted before, happened on Sukhumvit.

Yeah and don't climb into a tuk tuk with a guy in a ninja outfit or a guy dressed as a clown, as this can seem very funny. These are sure signs that you will be robbed. My best friends girlfriends brothers sister did this and boy, is she sorry now!!!

LOLZ!!!!!! ninja outfit!

:o

Typical "Thai Mafia"  :D If they had not been so greedy, they would of been 25k better off and no one would of known who they were.

children in mens clothes  :o

:D

Well you won't believe this one then.

About 10 years ago I left my wallet, passport, and airline ticket in a taxi. I went to unload a box from the back of the taxi, payed the driver, and totally forgot about the wallet, passport, and ticket on the seat. I noticed they were missing a few minutes later. I went to the local police station to report everything missing. Didn't really expect to see any of it again. While I was at the police station, they police came in with everything. Seems the taxi driver had noticed it, and turned it in to the police. The police gave me his name and address in Thai. I had my TG take me to the address, and offered him a reward for returning my stuff. He refused to take the award, because he said it wouldn't be right to accept money for what was his duty. I finally got him to accept about 2000 baht but he really didn't want to.

So it just goes to show that there are honest taxi drivers also.

:D

Forgot to mention that this was in BKK.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

• 2 weeks later...

I left a bag (my valuables not to leave my side - YEAAA) at the taxi tax booth at Don Muang upon a return trip from the states. Passport, camera, cell phone, a $500 watch, money and gifts all still there when I made a stressful taxi ride back to the airport after arriving at my room missing it. 16 hour flights take it out of me and I am a zombie, but a lucky one as it was 100% accounted for. Tips all around - nobody said no.

I left a less valuable, but still costly bag on a bus after a country trip back from Essan with gf. Stood up at the statiohn and stepped off the bus at 5am, got my luggage from underneath, realized my phone was still on board, climed back up and went to my seat and another passenger or employee had already pocketed it. I'm not so good after 9 hour drives from Essan to BKK, and this time the zombie lost.

I am ha-sip/ha-sip (50/50 %) in Thailand to date. All I can say is it pays to travel next to me on long trips.

Lost my wallet 2x in the states. Both times sent back to me in the mail with everything including cash still inside. Once from NYC sent to me back in LA, the opther time from Rhodi Island back to LA. The one from NYC came back 6 months later as it was found beneath a car seat I took a ride in from a concert. The one in RI came back sooner and was found on the side of the road near a strip of bars...Oops - hic.

It's just a crap shoot. There's good and bad everywhere. Such is life.

Typical "Thai Mafia"  :D If they had not been so greedy, they would of been 25k better off and no one would of known who they were.

children in mens clothes  :o

2 colleague of mine got hold up at gun point in the heart of Patpong a couple of years back. They were shaken and give up their wallets to the gangsters, it is either money or your life. When the tourist Police came, no trace of them and the local don't seems to care either as though nothing happen or is it a normal thing? :D