No Selling Of Alcohol From 2pm To 5pm

gotlost

post-91169-1265299270_thumb.jpgThe BIB are making their rounds and telling the bars and restaurants that they may not sell alcohol between 2 PM and 5 PM. They are posting notices in the bars and restaurants and requiring the venues that they have been notified. The fine is 20,000 baht per venue and 2,000 baht that the customer must pay if found drinking alcohol during these hours. I personally saw these posted in 3 venues this after noon and talked to the owners, they were complying Edited by gotlost

clearly not enough to do with the red shirt protests! after all this law way brought in (i think) because the law probibiting th sale of alcohol to minors was not observed! so instead of trying to enforce the law what do you do? you make up a new law on the premis that if the no one can buy alcohol at the time they leave school (riding their motobikes with no licence and no helmet), they wont be able to drink it. of course this prohibition of sale is widely obseved in rural stores and small village shops as is the law preventing the sale of alcohol to youngsters. some people have even been known to have actually secreted away a beer or two for times when it is more difficult to get hold of :)

logic probably provided by an eton education

I heard (more than) a rumour that couples, both Thai and non-Thai, indulging in sexual activity without being legally wedded, will be severely penalised with jail terms of up to 6 months and heavy fines.

The Royal Thai Police are currently training a task force of both men and women. They will be operating both covertly and overtly in order to enforce these new rules.

I heard (more than) a rumour that couples, both Thai and non-Thai, indulging in sexual activity without being legally wedded, will be severely penalised with jail terms of up to 6 months and heavy fines.

The Royal Thai Police are currently training a task force of both men and women. They will be operating both covertly and overtly in order to enforce these new rules.

Charged with what? I thought you had to commit a crime in order to be charged with one. I know many Thai laws are Draconian and seem to serve no purpose other than reduce tourism but the country isn't controlled by the Taliban.

What you are suggesting is absurd.

Charged with what? I thought you had to commit a crime in order to be charged with one. I know many Thai laws are Draconian and seem to serve no purpose other than reduce tourism but the country isn't controlled by the Taliban.

Absurd! How dare you suggest that any post I make is absurd. :)

Absurd! How dare you suggest that any post I make is absurd. :)

Its not a suggestion Blinky

Edited by slim

Absurd! How dare you suggest that any post I make is absurd.

Should have said ALL posts :)

In Eire they had a great solution to the "Holy Hour", the pubs simply closed their doors, drew the curtains and patrons continued drinking because they placed their orders before the hour started. I :) seem to remember that we drank a lot more in that hour than in any other.

You can go to your local Mom amd Pop store in your village and buy alcohol any time and any day. Nobody gives a hoot .This was true in Bangkok as well. How crazy when you cant buy a single bottle of wine in a supermarket but can stagger out with a couple of cartons of beer. Prosititution is illeagal in Thailand too. Got to love this country.

AFAIK this has been the law for several years now. I've been refused beer in the afternoon in big chain places a couple of times, though not recently. Bad for tourism, yes, though I think Hotels and Guest Houses maybe exempt? :)

This should not come as a suprise. The BIB in CM is very short of cash right now, CM is the badlands as far as the political paymasters in BKK are concerend, and the flow of official funds has been severely curtailed......

really whats the big deal if yr after a drink? Just plan ahead and keep a couple of beers in the fridge and stay home for a few hours.

But i can completely understand if yr out for lunch and would like a wine or whatever to have with it, or a tourist looking to kill a few.

really whats the big deal if yr after a drink? Just plan ahead and keep a couple of beers in the fridge and stay home for a few hours.

But i can completely understand if yr out for lunch and would like a wine or whatever to have with it, or a tourist looking to kill a few.

It will be a bit annoying to tourists that would like a drink in the afternoon. My happy hour runs from 4-6 so that'll have to change.

I imagine it will be enforced for a while, some places will be offered the chance to continue serving (for a small fee) and eventually it will be forgotten about. Interestingly, the No Smoking in bars/restaurants policy was mostly accepted by owners and customers, but I never heard of anyone actually being fined or of any places being inspected.

What logical reason is there not to buy alcohol in the afternoon, and yet you can booze it up from supper time until 2AM in the early morning?
In England, it existed to supposedly get the workers back on the machines to make the guns and tanks for the war effort. It lasted about fifty years (not the war). Maybe the authorities know something we don't!!

I know the police have been down the girly bars on Loi Kroh, but I spoke to the owers of The What bar and they hadn't recieved any notice about selling alcohol or been given any stickers to put op.

Have any of the other bar owners (Kevin) in CM any experience with this, is it just another effort to reform Loi Kroh or is it in all of CM?