Sponsors

Thursday, May 5, 2005 Soccernet.com

Barcelona break history over shirt deal

MADRID, May 5 (Reuters) - Barcelona president Joan Laporta has flown to China to try and close the club's first ever shirt sponsorship deal with Chinese authorities, Spanish media reported on Thursday.

A delegation from the club is expected to meet Chinese officials in order to put the finishing touches to an agreement that would see the Primera Liga side promote the 2008 Beijing Olympics from next season.

So gents. Does it fill you with pride to see some (probably foreign) company on the shirt of your beloved team. Or, as Barcelona has always maintained -until now that is- do shirts look better without them?

Just out of interest what's the most/least impressive sponsor you've seen on a shirt? The one that used to make me laugh was when West Ham were sponsored by Dr.Martins. Could have sworn some of their players wore them while player on more than one occasion. We once had U.S.A (Universal Salvage Auctions) they salvaged stolen cars from scrap yards. Frank Skinner once remarked that this was particularly appropriate for Luton, who had been known to 'salvage' a point or two over the years.

If you could choose a sponsor for your team what would it be?

In all the time I have supported Sunderland they have only had 3 main shirt sponsors who were all local companies - Cowie's (sell cars), Vaux (sold beer) and currently Reg Vardy (sell cars). There was also at least one season where the away shirt was sponsored by Tuborg (beer) which I think was tied in with Vaux at that time.

I can't say that I would be bothered if Sunderland were sponsored by some faraway company in a distant land. At the end of the day the money is useful. Although, if all things are equal, it's always nicer to have local sponsors and for tht matter, local players. How great it would be to have 11 local lads who were fans of their local club pull on the red and white shirts. As it is, quite happy for the time being to admire our heroes from Argentina, Estonia and Ireland!