Is Wife's Income Acceptable For Non ''o'' Marriage Visa?

My husband's from the UK, he left it a bit late to get organising with extending his Non ''O'' (multiple entries).

Now we'd like to apply for the extension based on marriage at the end of March.

His income meets the 40,000 criteria but this is rental income of our UK property. So he hasn't got an employer as such.

I'm Thai and I'm on a 50,000 baht a month proven salary working for a company in Bangkok but I'm not so sure we will get the green light based on this ground.

We could have gone down the 400,000 baht savings in a Thai bank but I believe this should be backdated 2-3 months, so we can't meet this criteria.

Please can someone enlighten me on this? What's our best option. I heard of these agents who say you don't need to show any money if you do it htrough them - a fact which I'm a bit dubious about.

You can no longer use combined income to extend for the reason of marriage :)

However, a 60 day extension is available 'to visit your wife' which should be enough to season your 400k Baht deposit.

I'll move this to the Thai visas forum for more detailed responses.

The financial requirements for extension of stay based on marriage to Thai are 400k in Thai bank account in his name for two months prior to application (3 months for renewals) OR 40k/month income (his income). Using income from abroad will require an income letter from his embassy. If using the bank balance option he need a letter from bank confirming the account balance and copies of bank book.

There is no seasoning period using the income option. It is up to his embassy what 'proof' of income they will require, but suggest he takes copies of rental contract and bank statements showing the receipt of funds. If using bank balance option then can obtain 60 day extension on basis of visiting Thai wife to allow time for funds to season.

He should apply for extension of stay during the last 30 days of his permission to stay. Will need to bring you along to immigration (for interview and to sign affidavit), your ID card, tabbien bahn (house book), marriage certificate, photos together around the home, map to home, completed application form TM7, copies of passport/TM6 departure card and current passport sized photos. Cost 1,900 baht. Most offices are now asking also for Kor Sor 2 (copy of marriage register) and may have to provide two witnesses to your living together (this is a new thing at some offices) so best to check before going.

He will get a 30 day under consideration stamp. Immigration will give him a date to go back and get the remainder of his extension. If he plans to travel abroad during the period of the extension he will need to obtain a re-entry permit from immigration to keep his permission to stay alive. Fee 1000 baht single entry; 3800 baht multi entry.

thank you so much for all your very informative replies. :)

Looks like we should go down the 60 days extension option to buy us some time before applying.

Just a matter of interest, are there any good alternative options for a married man to stay here without these hassles?

Anyone in the same boat? I'm 30. My husband's 32 so he can't exactly apply for a retirement visa. We don't own a business so no work permit option!

I don't know why the authorities make it so complicated for married couples to stay together!

I'm 42, don't work and like yourself am too young for a retirement visa. I used to extend on my wife's salary too until they changed ithe ruling a couple of years back.

For me the 400k in the bank is the next best option. Once a year and then you're sorted until the next.

The best alternative is multi entry non immigrant O visa but that requires exit/return every 90 days to remain in Thailand and can only be obtained at a Consulate outside (KL is closest with proof of 100k in bank account and marriage documents).

If he applies for 60 day extension, you will need to go with him to immigration. Will need to take along marriage certificate, your ID card, tabbien bahn (house book), completed application form TM7, copies of passport pages/TM6 departure card + passport photo. Some offices are also asking for photos of the couple around the house and map to house. Fee 1900 baht.

As thaiphoon mentioned about the pics and map. My latest extension was the first time I've ever been asked for these so it's better to be safe than sorry. KK immi accepted photos of my wedding in lieu of pics in the house no problem.

thank you so much for all your very informative replies. :)

Looks like we should go down the 60 days extension option to buy us some time before applying.

Just a matter of interest, are there any good alternative options for a married man to stay here without these hassles?

Anyone in the same boat? I'm 30. My husband's 32 so he can't exactly apply for a retirement visa. We don't own a business so no work permit option!

I don't know why the authorities make it so complicated for married couples to stay together!

ok. I am in the same situation, but my wife and I have a company, so now I have to get a work permit based on 50000thb income per month as the combined income thingy is no longer acceptable. What my question is how much tax do I have to pay per month and do I have to prove that I am making 50000thb per month?.

There is no minimum salary requirement to obtain a work permit. The 50k/month salary for westerners is an immigration requirement should you chose to apply for extension of stay based on employment. If your permission to stay revolves around Non-Immigrant visa entry, have seen reports of some labour offices accepting salary of 20-30k/month. But have also seen reports of some labour offices following the immigration financials, so you would need to check.

Yes, you can be sure your not the only couple having to go through these control measures and red tape, which they seem to change every year or when ever they please not making it any easier.

I'm married in Thai, with a son who will be two in May and another on the way due Aug-Sep. We have a house etc. together, all paid for. But, i'm just a tourist who needs to get visas and do boarder crossings, oh the joy!

I'm just applying for my first type "O" now at Hull, all I have sent in is a copy of our marriage cert and a passport photo along with the application form. I hope that is all they will need to aprove.

Good luck for you both. Hope it all turns out well for you. :)

I'm just applying for my first type "O" now at Hull, all I have sent in is a copy of our marriage cert and a passport photo along with the application form. I hope that is all they will need to aprove.

Do not expect you will have a problem. Hull is a very liberal consulate.

ok. I am in the same situation, but my wife and I have a company, so now I have to get a work permit based on 50000thb income per month as the combined income thingy is no longer acceptable. What my question is how much tax do I have to pay per month and do I have to prove that I am making 50000thb per month?.

You can get yourself a work permit based on 40,000 Baht, as that is the income you'll need to get your extension based on marriage and your income.

To prove your income you have to go pay the taxes and social security funds contribution.

If your wife doesn't have an income (i.e. doesn't pay taxes), your total allowed deductions and allowances amount to 120,000 Baht, so you'll be taxed on a yearly income of 360,000 Baht. Which works out to 21,000 Baht/year or 1750 Baht/month.

Social security contributions are 750 Baht (employee pays) and another 750 Baht which the employer pays (your own company) per month.

The tax invoices on your salary is what immigration needs.

I assume immigration will want to see net income, sa assume you'll have to start out with around 43,000 Baht salary to end up with 40,000 after all taxes!

43,000 Baht/month works out to 2050 Baht income tax plus 750 Baht social security, so you'll net 40,200 Baht on paper. Should clear immigration!

His income meets the 40,000 criteria but this is rental income of our UK property. So he hasn't got an employer as such.

No requirement for an employer. Rental income from abroad should qualify. And while the British Embassy requires proof of income before it issues an income document, this can be gross rental receipts (based on reports on this forum, albeit awhile back).

With regards to bankg statements, does the British embassy/consulate accept internet printout version of bank statements? We opted to have paperless statements (to be greener and all that!) so we never receive anything from the bank, nor do we have a bank book. (We're with Natwest)

Is the British embassy in Thailand quite flexible on this sort of things?

By the way, I'm appalled by this red tape about the joint income thingy. I think that my taxed wage of 50k a month alone should be enough for us, 1 couple with 1 child to live qith, even without his UK income. We don't have any mortgage or any huge debt that will cripple our finance.

I don't see why wife's income can't be accepted. Marriage is about sharing, isn't it! regardless of who earns what!

The financial requirements for extension of stay based on marriage to Thai are 400k in Thai bank account in his name for two months prior to application (3 months for renewals) OR 40k/month income (his income). Using income from abroad will require an income letter from his embassy. If using the bank balance option he need a letter from bank confirming the account balance and copies of bank book.

There is no seasoning period using the income option. It is up to his embassy what 'proof' of income they will require, but suggest he takes copies of rental contract and bank statements showing the receipt of funds. If using bank balance option then can obtain 60 day extension on basis of visiting Thai wife to allow time for funds to season.

He should apply for extension of stay during the last 30 days of his permission to stay. Will need to bring you along to immigration (for interview and to sign affidavit), your ID card, tabbien bahn (house book), marriage certificate, photos together around the home, map to home, completed application form TM7, copies of passport/TM6 departure card and current passport sized photos. Cost 1,900 baht. Most offices are now asking also for Kor Sor 2 (copy of marriage register) and may have to provide two witnesses to your living together (this is a new thing at some offices) so best to check before going.

He will get a 30 day under consideration stamp. Immigration will give him a date to go back and get the remainder of his extension. If he plans to travel abroad during the period of the extension he will need to obtain a re-entry permit from immigration to keep his permission to stay alive. Fee 1000 baht single entry; 3800 baht multi entry.

Rule 2.18 states "400,000 baht for the past 2 months", however after the first extension some immigration offices are requiring 3 months. My Thai wife checked today with immigration in Chiang Mai and they are following the Rule (2 months only prior to extension).

Edited by venturalaw