Utorrent

geomag

Hi,

I've had trouble downloading files with utorrent. It was fine last week but nothing at all now. It's still uploading previous downloads so is it just the case that there are no seeds or have I got port issues? The port forward checker says it isn't forwarded properly.

I've looked before at the port forwarding website for advice but my modem isn't listed. I'm on True and I have a zyxel wifi v1. I'm not very sure what to do and don't want to start messing around and stuff it all up. Any advice or help form someone a bit more technically minded and experienced would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in bangkok and speed tests and ping tests give me ok results.

Cheers

Geoff

I've never quite understood the necessity for port forwarding. Never attempted it. Been using Utorrent for ages and have it set to randomly select a different port each time it launches without any problem. Getting in excess of 2mb/s downloads on my Maxnet connection. I have an SMC router.

I've never quite understood the necessity for port forwarding. Never attempted it. Been using Utorrent for ages and have it set to randomly select a different port each time it launches without any problem.

Agreed.

Random ports here and no problems.

Probably a general connection issue.

How do you switch to random ports guys?

Launch Utorrent. Go to Options - Preferences and then select Connection from the list. On the right check the box marked "Randomize port at each start."

if you are using utorrent 2.0 go to options select setup guide and check your upload speed select random port and automatic port mapping and should be right to go.

As already mentioned forwarding ports is not always necessary, you can get good downloads and "Hit & Run" without forwarding.

Problem comes if you want to use sites that monitor your ratio where you will quickly discover that if you are not maintaining a good ratio you'll get reprimanded and eventually banned.

On one site (totalchaos.me.uk) I was getting all green download icons and seemed to be seeding back as well but failed their "Connectable" test so needed to Forward my Ports.

Simple port Forwarding is the easiest way to set up your system. If they don't list your particular model try the next nearest one, it worked or me.

:)

Edited by Daffy D

Simple port Forwarding is the easiest way to set up your system. If they don't list your particular model try the next nearest one, it worked or me.

You can also ask them to add your model, and they'll do it promptly.