Rumour 7/11 & Mini Tesco Lotus

OZEMADE

Ozemade, if you mean where the lake road meets SCC road (the T-junction that is just past Magnolia's if you are heading towards SCC road from the lake) then a 7/11 has sprung up there over the last couple of weeks, that is not rumour but fact!

Not open yet.

For me it is good news, especially if it has the obligatory SCB ATM going with it!

I am not crazy about having 7/11s on every block, but the truth is that they are clean and cool and have a much better selection than the dark, dusty Thai mom and pop shops that they replaced. They also sell things before their selling dates expire and actually reorder popular items. There is nothing at all that I miss about the old Thai-style shops.

Ozemade, if you mean where the lake road meets SCC road (the T-junction that is just past Magnolia's if you are heading towards SCC road from the lake) then a 7/11 has sprung up there over the last couple of weeks, that is not rumour but fact!

Not open yet.

For me it is good news, especially if it has the obligatory SCB ATM going with it!

No, I mean on the corner of SCC & Laplae Rd which goes to the Thai-Eto school, where the sheds have gone up and where the huge market causes traffic jams all the time. :)

Edited by OZEMADE

There have been rumours of Tesco-minis coming to sites on the darkside for some time. It was said that they slowed down the planned expansion due to the anti-Tesco feelings of about 2 years ago, then the economy hit a bit of a bump in the road. I think they be back on the drawing board, the talk was of 6 Tesco-minis in the area.

Finally a 7/11 in Pattaya.Let's celebrate

Amazing, isn't it :)

Thailand has more 7/11's per population than any other country!!

One for every 1,700 people, compared to Canada which has one per 70,000.

How do they all survive is the real question...??

i think they do very well mainly because their prices are only 2 or 3 baht more than tesco,big C. open 24/7 and easy to get access too i.e. parking.In the west its different, where convenience stores are exactly that but you pay through the roof for the priveledge.

The 7-11's are in fact the end of the so-called pop & mom shops in Thailand.

To take away the attention to that fact, Tesco is blamed for the end of the pop & mom shops.

The number of 7-11's in Thailand is disgusting.

How they survive?

Simple, franchising.

If your franchise shop runs very well, big chance a non-franchise shop will open near your shop to cream of your profit.

What else can you do as try to remain open so as not to loose your investment.

That is why there are so many 7-11's

I make it my business to know if the 7-11 I visit, although I try to do that only if there is no other shop available, is in fact a franchise operated shop, and not a cp-owned one.

Edited by hansnl

All this talk about 7Eleven's but not one word of Family Mart. I'm guessing they're pretty even in number. Anyone care to count?

There are considerably more 7's in Thailand than Family Marts, at a guess a ratio of almost 2 to 1.

I guess that is a bit of an understatement,from the webpages from mentioned companies I find out that last year family mart had 561 stores while 7/11 had 4770 stores operational in 2008.So that is more a ratio of 9/1.