I'm Creating A List Of Foreigners Killed Or Attacked

ManilaLover

I had that idea ages ago.

What you want to do is start up a website farangbodycount.com. I think the website name is still vacant.

Start with newspaper archives. Ask for access to their archives. Or start from now.

what about www. **email removed**

To keep up to date on the latest balcony jumpers, stabbing victims, and exciting manglings, we recommend the Pattaya Daily News. It is a TV news partner (and the one with the most reliable information). The PDN is perfect for potty time too. Plenty of vivid photos, the required people pointing and the weekly farang idiot that got into a fight after drinking too much. I also enjoy the photos of the local criminals. They are right out of central casting.

Correct, in other "touristy" places it's covered up quickly.

No good for business.

Pattaya is honest.

You know what you get.

They don't try to promote it as "boutique" or "paradise".

Edited by PoorSucker

People die, just part of life. :)

that's true! But would you say it's part of life to be murdered? Just for sticking your finger up at a guy who nearly ran you down in his merc!!!!!

How many times has this happened, once in the last 100 years perhaps?

Well two weeks ago here in Chiang Mai for a start and that was some loser driving a crappy wagon who shot dead a German guy. I'd say the probability of being taken out for sticking your finger up to someone you cut up here is quite high.

I'd suggest you don't try to record past murders, rather concentrate on murders from now going forward.

Record, name, age, nationality, date of death, cause of death, police recorded cause of death and location of death.

Enough information to eliminate duplicate reports and to give an indication murder rates in areas by nationality.

I reckon it would make an informative report.

Heaps of people who are old and retire here, then die. Not to mention those who are unhealthy, drink too much and basically burn the candle on both ends so to speak.

I don't think the OP wants to compile a list of foreigners that died of natural causes or a drink overdose.

I was swimming of the coast of Samui early last year and was eaten by a shark and died, it hurt a bit but i dont like to complain about it too much.

Stiff upper lip.

Remember you're British.

You've already complained too much. Get over it.

Shouldn't have been swimming in the first place. No-one to blame but yourself.

SC

I was swimming of the coast of Samui early last year and was eaten by a shark and died, it hurt a bit but i dont like to complain about it too much.

Stiff upper lip.

Remember you're British.

SC

...and as these charmers like to point out, if you were'nt here the accident would'nt have happened :)

Stiff upper lip.

Remember you're British.

SC

...and as these charmers like to point out, if you were'nt here the accident would'nt have happened :)

And how do you know it was a Thai shark? It was probably an Australian one, here on holiday, wanting a bit of farang food.

Edited by ballpoint

Stiff upper lip.

Remember you're British.

SC

And how do you know it was a Thai shark? It was probably an Australian one, here on holiday, wanting a bit of farang food.

He knew it was Thai from its friendly smile

SC

Heaps of people who are old and retire here, then die. Not to mention those who are unhealthy, drink too much and basically burn the candle on both ends so to speak.

I don't think the OP wants to compile a list of foreigners that died of natural causes or a drink overdose.

Right, only foreigners who died of unnatural cause such as murder, suïcide, traffic accident, or survived after being molested or who survided a heavy accident.

Nobody comes to Thailand to get killed, some live here and some just on a holiday, one by one it are shocking stories. Some have been too careless, others are poor victims.

After one breaking news headline most cases disappear in time, but family and close friends do not forget, often also stay with questions.

All I want is to create a simple listing with as much as recent cases as possible, with dates and all background information know and publish it.

To save them from oblivion, and also get an idea about the yearly numbers.

--

Better we get a list of those that NEED killing. I can think of a few. :)

Of course that would have to include a few nationals as well. :D

People getting murdered in Thailand doesn't concern me in the least. There are some South American countries that would have triple that number. And, in many African countries a murder is not even considered news... unless it is the country's leader. Even in Canada and the USA a murder is hardly considered news unless some weirdo kills a bunch of kids in a school yard.

People getting murdered in Thailand doesn't concern me in the least. There are some South American countries that would have triple that number. And, in many African countries a murder is not even considered news... unless it is the country's leader. Even in Canada and the USA a murder is hardly considered news unless some weirdo kills a bunch of kids in a school yard.

Doesn't answer anything the Op asked for in the first place does it , maybe you don't care but the OP does .

I would find it pretty interesting to see an accurate list of killings as the OP suggested sort of .

We do , stay in Thailand not in the US or Canada , so you can say I feel disturbed by your rant not considering perhaps not everybody might be interested what you have to say all the time in every thread , although I do find your posts defenitely

one of the better at times , I did unfortunately felt the urge to tell you , you do come over a bit cocky with these kind of comments . I think its not funny .

Edited by tijnebijn

Right, only foreigners who died of unnatural cause such as murder, suïcide, traffic accident, or survived after being molested or who survided a heavy accident.

Nobody comes to Thailand to get killed, some live here and some just on a holiday, one by one it are shocking stories. Some have been too careless, others are poor victims.

After one breaking news headline most cases disappear in time, but family and close friends do not forget, often also stay with questions.

All I want is to create a simple listing with as much as recent cases as possible, with dates and all background information know and publish it.

To save them from oblivion, and also get an idea about the yearly numbers.

--

If you go to the US Embassy website (www.bangkok.usembassy.gov) and dig a little, you will find a list of all US citizens who died of un-natural causes in Thailand and the location and cause of their death from 2002 to present.

Doesn't answer anything the Op asked for in the first place does it , maybe you don't care but the OP does .

I would find it pretty interesting to see an accurate list of killings as the OP suggested sort of .

We do , stay in Thailand not in the US or Canada , so you can say I feel disturbed by your rant not considering perhaps not everybody might be interested what you have to say all the time in every thread , although I do find your posts defenitely

one of the better at times , I did unfortunately felt the urge to tell you , you do come over a bit cocky with these kind of comments . I think its not funny .

My point is WHY would it concern anyone about the death count of tourists and expats in Thailand. It happens everywhere and most often the reason is someone does something foolish in a foreign country. Yes, there ARE countries that are dangerous, but Thailand certainly isn't one of them. If you get drunk and act stupid all the time then you are likely to get in trouble at some point. If you flash gold and lots of cash around the seedier parts of any city in the world then chances are you are going to attract the attention of crooks, thieves and murderers. If you flirt with someone else's woman then chances are you could get into trouble at some point in the game. If you give the finger to someone you don't know then you MIGHT pick the wrong person at the wrong time.

However, if you stay sober, don't take drugs, and smile a lot, and treat everyone with respect, then it is unlikely that you will get into trouble. But, if you continually hang around the seedier parts of any city in the world, and stay around well after midnight, then you MIGHT eventually be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

It doesn't concern me in the least what others think of my posts. I try to lighten up some posts with a bit of silly banter, and use the occasional one liner to bring a topic back to the top of the board. And, I NEVER flame anyone... even though I might disagree with someone's point of view.

Why just (presumably western) "foreigners?" Everyone knows murder and vehicular homicide are out of control in Thailand. While those involving (presumably western) "foreigners" are no less important, these things happen in far greater numbers and frequency to the native peoples of our host country. A life taken without cause or reason is still a life lost.

As to why these things happen, well we already know the answer to that question, don't we? Anytime there is some combination of unstable/corrupt government, corrupt law enforcement, and lack of economic opportunity (whether entreprenuership or employment), the value of human life goes way down, and the number of people who will do virtually anything for chance at a quick buck goes way up.

Good reference source. Thailand is at #14 in the world for murders per capita. Data set has a strong skew due to Colombia, SA, Jamaica and Venezuela.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...ders-per-capita

. . . but add to this.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_...apes-per-capita

Could be crime reporting, social stigma, don't know . . .

Edited by MJP

My point is WHY would it concern anyone about the death count of tourists and expats in Thailand. It happens everywhere and most often the reason is someone does something foolish in a foreign country. Yes, there ARE countries that are dangerous, but Thailand certainly isn't one of them. If you get drunk and act stupid all the time then you are likely to get in trouble at some point. If you flash gold and lots of cash around the seedier parts of any city in the world then chances are you are going to attract the attention of crooks, thieves and murderers. If you flirt with someone else's woman then chances are you could get into trouble at some point in the game. If you give the finger to someone you don't know then you MIGHT pick the wrong person at the wrong time.

However, if you stay sober, don't take drugs, and smile a lot, and treat everyone with respect, then it is unlikely that you will get into trouble. But, if you continually hang around the seedier parts of any city in the world, and stay around well after midnight, then you MIGHT eventually be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

It doesn't concern me in the least what others think of my posts. I try to lighten up some posts with a bit of silly banter, and use the occasional one liner to bring a topic back to the top of the board. And, I NEVER flame anyone... even though I might disagree with someone's point of view.

Dreadful things also happen to people who have done nothing wrong in any way. Anything that helpps the victims family get proper closure is good. It must be aweful to think it's been "swept under the carpet"

Dreadful things also happen to people who have done nothing wrong in any way. Anything that helpps the victims family get proper closure is good. It must be aweful to think it's been "swept under the carpet"

Good point, carmine, but it happens everywhere. If I should lose my life while I'm in Thailand then I hope my children don't go to any trouble finding out why. I've told them not to. It was always my choice to come here in the first place and take the risks that are so common in Thailand. I wouldn't expect any support from the Thai government or police force. We know it's corrupt from the onset. It's part of the "wild west" type freedom you have here. You are free to do something stupid and kill yourself. There is no molly-coddling for the weak or ill prepared. It's like North America in the 1870s. Nobody worried if some pilgrim got lost or killed by the natives or ruffians that lived on the outskirts of civilization. You just took your chances, and those that were strong enough and lucky enough survived. The others didn't. There is a beauty in that. Adversity builds character... and characters.

Good point, carmine, but it happens everywhere. If I should lose my life while I'm in Thailand then I hope my children don't go to any trouble finding out why. I've told them not to. It was always my choice to come here in the first place and take the risks that are so common in Thailand. I wouldn't expect any support from the Thai government or police force. We know it's corrupt from the onset. It's part of the "wild west" type freedom you have here. You are free to do something stupid and kill yourself. There is no molly-coddling for the weak or ill prepared. It's like North America in the 1870s. Nobody worried if some pilgrim got lost or killed by the natives or ruffians that lived on the outskirts of civilization. You just took your chances, and those that were strong enough and lucky enough survived. The others didn't. There is a beauty in that. Adversity builds character... and characters.

Is it really that bad?