Non Thai Music

Starlifter

I can listen to Thai music no problem but just like ice cream I like varity. On my previous trips I found a longing for some good old Rock n Roll albeiet 50's - 00's I wanted to hear some at least every once in a while. How many have a collection of other than Thai tunes they play at home? What options do you use?

It's always a problm for me to keep up with technoligy. I just wish it was as simplee as putting a coin in the local "juke box" however, it's all digital now. I will bring some CDs from home however last time some didn't work.. Particullarly the Karoke ones.

I sent my CD's from back home. Or you can convert your CD's to mp3's before you come here. You also can download much music from YOUTube.

If you want to watch videos I can see the sense in YOUTube however if you just want to listen to music then the obvious answer has to be using a torrent site. I've got over 20GB of music and all of it is acquired using BitTorrent.

Please. No lectures about pirating.

Good luck.

I dont understand the ops question, who has a collection of music other than Thai music? Uh... who the heck doesnt? And who actually has a thai music collection? I've got 50 gigs of music, not a single track is Thai, why would it be?

I have a Hard Drive with 120GB of Music + another 40GB Music Videos

from youtube that I convert to MP3 for latest songs.

Then add to my Ipod.

I have more songs that I can ever play.

My fav's are 80's one hit wonders.

I have been downloading many songs a haven't heard in 30 years.

When you listen to the songs and remember the last time you heard them it's scary.

It also reminds you your getting old.

It's always a problm for me to keep up with technoligy. I just wish it was as simplee as putting a coin in the local "juke box" however, it's all digital now. I will bring some CDs from home however last time some didn't work.. Particullarly the Karoke ones.

I'm guessing that the Karaoke CDs were in fact DVDs. Your problem would probably have been the difference in format. PAL or NTSC. Thailand uses PAL and the US uses NTSC.

Stick with downloading from the internet and you can't go wrong.

I sent my CD's from back home. Or you can convert your CD's to mp3's before you come here. You also can download much music from YOUTube.

If you want to watch videos I can see the sense in YOUTube however if you just want to listen to music then the obvious answer has to be using a torrent site. I've got over 20GB of music and all of it is acquired using BitTorrent.

Please. No lectures about pirating.

Good luck.

I convert most of the videos to mp3's. Easy, if you have the software.

Hey Starlifter if you are looking for a nice and easy way to listen to any type of music you like without the need of converters or torrents etc i find that internet radio stations do a good job of this.

I use Winamp which is a very small and free, easy to use media player that can play mp3's, CD's or DVD's but also has an inbuilt radio web browser for shoutcast stations as they are called. These are small independant radio statons broadcast online often by fans of music. There are also plenty of larger commercial stations available too.

http://www.winamp.com/

So yea simply download that install it then look under the Media Library Tab and you will see Shoutcast Radio click that then you can type in any search word you like and see what comes up ie Rock n Roll or Jazz or whatver floats your boat you can find just about anything. Then all you need to do is click "Tune in" and your off.

Hope thats helpfull and enjoy the tunes :)

Edited by Hern

<snip>I've got over 20GB of music and all of it is acquired using BitTorrent.<snip>
<snip>I've got 50 gigs of music<snip>
I have a Hard Drive with 120GB of Music<snip>

I've got 144 GB of music. :)

Had I known it was a competition as to how much music each member had I would have lied. All I was trying to do was inform the poster as to how I had acquired mine. :D

Edited by samjaidee

I bought a load of CD's here and download from various sites.

A couple of months ago I gave a friend 5000 baht. He bought a one terrabyte hard disk and returned it to me with 14,502 Cd's on it!!!!!

I don't know if I will live long enough to hear them all.

Had I known it was a competition as to how much music each member had I would have lied. All I was trying to do was inform the poster as to how I had acquired mine. :)

No need for BitTorrent, try the following link, just type in the name of the artist or band.

http://captaincrawl.com/index.php

Another couple of sites worth bookmarking,

http://dinostunz.blogspot.com/

http://theultimatebootlegexperience3.blogspot.com/

Personally I prefer quality over quantity.

The properties of my Music HDD tells me i have 76,740 files in 5,680 folder2 which = a total of 400gb..................not one single Thai song to be found !!!

Most of it is rips from my CD collection back home, there is some illegally obtained stuff though.

To the OP:

I have lots of mp3 tracks on my computer. these are what I downloaded from torrents and rapidshare sites.

!960s, 70s, 80s, light music, some Vera Lynn, the ying tong song etc.

If you are not sure where to find them and download, I can email them to you.

Each track is average 3 mb. I am able to email 25mb at a time.

If you are interested, pm me your email address and I`ll start sending.

go to grooveshark dot com.

i wanted to hear in a godda da vida and they had at least 6 different versions of it

the long studio version is the best IMO (18 minutes long)

You can find almost everything there.

Best version of In Gada Vida was on The Simpsons - hilarious. :)

I've brought a hard drive from the Uk with my mp3 collection on it. Must admit I don't listen to much music made after the end of the 1970s. I guess I'm a bit like anonymouse, I also don't find much interest in modern music - must be an age thing. I also sold my vinyl collection before moving here, but made sure I'd got mp3 copies of them all first, from various sources. Do have some Thai music in my collection, Caribou, Bird, Bazoo, Loso.

I do tend to stick with vanilla ice cream though.

Edited by WeeGB

<snip>

I also don't find much interest in modern music - must be an age thing. I also sold my vinyl collection before moving here, but made sure I'd got mp3 copies of them all first

<snip>

Definitely "an age thing" :) - your teenage years usually defines the music you like.

I still have my vinyls at my mum's house back home (I hope) but I didn't convert them to mp3 before I came here. Instead, I've spent the last several years finding and downloading gigabytes of mp3s.

I now have all the top 30 entries to the UK and US singles charts for the entire 60's decade, and some of the top 50 entries, thanks to "GroovyFab.com" which unfortunately no longer exists.

The rest of my 144 GB is nearly all 60's and early 70's stuff. Anyone wanting a specific track is welcome to PM me as I may have it.

Also got my CDs shipped (delivered by visiting family) from back home.

Dont shoot me down now guys, I know it might be stupid question.

Are all the 100s of MegaBytes with music some of you have downloaded, ehm how to put it, really for free?

The very last thing I want, being a foreigner here, is "someone" one day knocking on the door.

I prefer the term "previewing" the music.

Infact I just previewed Fear Factory - Mechanised.

Most of my music is in the EBM, Techno (not trance), D&B and Metal genre.

I just previewed the entire Trojan Box Sets so I am listening to alot of old school reaggae and ska.

I can listen to Thai music no problem but just like ice cream I like varity. On my previous trips I found a longing for some good old Rock n Roll albeiet 50's - 00's I wanted to hear some at least every once in a while. How many have a collection of other than Thai tunes they play at home? What options do you use?

I have only 1 Thai Cd. The band are called Accapella 7. Very good Thai band and not like the usual crap. :) But my music collection is very diverse. I very rarely listen to Thai music unless my music on PC is on random. but as mentioned before. You can cough cough dowload as many people do. Unless you were Thai then why you listen to Thai music all the time?

When i want to listen to something more soothing than Thai music i grab a stray cat and pull on it's tail while pushing it's claws down a blackboard.

QUOTE OF THE YEAR AWARD TO YOU!! :):D :D

Now, if someone could come up with this in Thai writing so that I could show it to my ladyfriend...

<snip>I've got over 20GB of music and all of it is acquired using BitTorrent.<snip>

Between us, we have more than 1/4 TB of earfuls; maybe we should bunch up & start a radio station :D

How would you consider 1,14 Terrabit?Last time I checked that were around 223.000 songs.

Edited by basjke