Visit Chiangmai (for Mae Hong Son Loop)

travellife

I have a few opportunities to ride the Mae Hong Son Loop. Which timeframe is best to visit the area?

1) Feb 10 to Feb 18

I wasn't sure when the Chinese New Year crowd arrives. Guesthouses might be booked up? I don't plan on pre-arranging any accommodations. This timeframe gives me a few extra days compared to #2.

2) Feb 15 to Feb 20

Guesthouses might be booked up? I don't plan on pre-arranging any accommodations.

3) May 24 to June 1

Is smog still a problem on the MHS loop at this time? I heard there is burning in the area that affects March and April. And I assume the weather is still manageable since the ride is in the mountains.

4) June 21 to Jun 28

I am not too worried about the rainy season. I think it just rains a few hours and than it is possible to ride soon after.

Thanks

I can't be sure from your post but from your comments after #3 it sounds like you're "riding" on a bicycle.

I don't really know what the GH situation is in Mae Hong Son or Pai during Chinese New Year.

The burning usually starts in mid-February and can last until mid-April. It's hard to believe if you go for a ride now, but according to the govt website -- http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Regional/Default.cfm -- the current air quality is very good. It should be even better for a May or June trip.

"I assume the weather is still manageable since the ride is in the mountains."

----- I'm not sure how you define "manageable", but doing long steep climbs in the afternoon heat can be unbearable.

If I were planning this, I'd call a couple of hotels in Mae Hong Son and Pai to see if they have rooms available. You don't have to book them but it will give you an idea whether you can do it now with a flexible schedule. If rooms are available, I'd go now while the mornings are still cool.

I can't be sure from your post but from your comments after #3 it sounds like you're "riding" on a bicycle.

I don't really know what the GH situation is in Mae Hong Son or Pai during Chinese New Year.

The burning usually starts in mid-February and can last until mid-April. It's hard to believe if you go for a ride now, but according to the govt website -- http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Regional/Default.cfm -- the current air quality is very good. It should be even better for a May or June trip.

----- I'm not sure how you define "manageable", but doing long steep climbs in the afternoon heat can be unbearable.

If I were planning this, I'd call a couple of hotels in Mae Hong Son and Pai to see if they have rooms available. You don't have to book them but it will give you an idea whether you can do it now with a flexible schedule. If rooms are available, I'd go now while the mornings are still cool.

I'll be renting a motorbike to do the loop. I think I'll chance it and head up there this week. The weather is ideal at this time of year. I heard it might get a little hot during May.

I'll be renting a motorbike to do the loop. I think I'll chance it and head up there this week. The weather is ideal at this time of year. I heard it might get a little hot during May.

That's pretty funny. I didn't think that any of those would be factors on a motosai.

Do it on a bicycle. I took 6 days. Friends have done it in 4.