British Passport For Thai Child

Hi my son was born 2 months ago as I am a British citizen is my son entitle to a British passport as I want to take him next July to England for 3/4 months I already have his birth certifcate translated into English when I was out there last month also what would be the price.

cheers

Jason

:o

Hi my son was born 2 months ago as I am a British citizen is my son entitle to a British passport as I want to take him next July to England for 3/4 months I already have his birth certifcate translated into English when I was out there last month also what would be the price.

cheers

Jason

I've just had a look on the 'British Embassy, Bangkok' website (sorry, can't do the underlined link thing yet) and it's got all the info. you'll need.

I was born in England but I'm not married to the mother (Thai) & I have registered his birth where he was born so I have a Thai birth certifcate which has been translated into English do I also have to register the birth with the British Embassy ? I have looked at there web site but am confussed to which form to fill in.

Cheers

Jason

You need to be married before they will consider a British passport for your son, Jason. I went through the same thing a while back. Because you're not married he is illegitimate and in the eyes of the embassy he is Thai 100%. British fathers used to be able to transmit their nationality automatically but not anymore. British mothers can. The father now has to prove domicile with the UK by filling out a questionnaire and signing a parental form...this in itself will cost you about 4,500 baht.

What you will need to do is get married, which will involve making an affirmation to marry at the embassy/consulate - rip-off 2,400 baht! Have that translated into Thai and certified by the MFA in Laksi, Bangkok, then you can take that along with the missus's tabien baan and ID card to the amphur and pay your couple of hundred baht. Once you have the marriage certificate, get it translated into English along with the birth certificate and take everything to the embassy. You can apply for a British birth certificate the same time as the passport. It'll take about 6 weeks due to the domicile questionnaire having to go to the UK and back. You will also need your long-form birth certificate that has both your father's and mother's names on there. If you don't have it you can get a copy online for about £11.50.

All in all the cost is about 15,000 baht including the domicile and parental signings.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jason,

As other posters have said, because you are not married to your son's mother, he has no automatic entitlement to British citizenship. You can, however, seek to register the child as British but whether he qualifies is discretionary. If you wish to apply for registration you can do this at the embassy but the decision is made in the UK and don't expect an answer within a year.

Cheers,

Scouse.

I wasn't talking about registration of the birth butregistration as a British citizen. They are 2 different things.

How does one do that?

The Reg' referred to on the UK Embassy website is the birth certificate one.

I wrote to the Embassy to clarify - & they told me to get lost.

(Is it needed in this case because he's not married? Or is it needed every time a UK citizen has a kid overseas?)

Edited by The_Moog

Where a child of a British citizen has no automatic entitlement to citizenship the parent can seek to register him as such. The decision is discretionary and is based on such considerations as parental ties to the UK etc. If you read the embassy link which I provided in my previous post there's a reference to regisytration as a British citizen there. Here's a quote from it:-

British Fathers, who are not married, can now apply to register children who are born abroad, with the Home Office. It must be noted this is discretionary. Those applying should expect to receive a decision in 12 - 15 months. The fee for this will be £144 plus Baht 2,800 please ask us for form MN1.  The fee is not refundable.

Scouse.

Edited by the scouser