International Driving Licence Not Accepted For Insurance Purposes?

Has anyone else experienced this? My daughter-in-law, newly arrived in UK to join my son after successful visa application in Bangkok, has an International Driving Licence. They have just bought a car and got insurance for son to drive it, but the insurers will not include his wife because she only has an International Licence. As far as I know, the International Licence allows her to drive here for up to a year, but in practice, she cannot drive, because of the insurance problem.

The solution is for her to get a UK licence as soon as possible, but the fact remains that the reason they got the car (so she can work) is now useless.

She used to drive in the UK a lot on her International Licence, but now wonders if she was properly covered even then......

If you use a genuine international drivers permit you must have a valid licence of your home country.(in the same name)

Conditions apply: it is valid only for one year from date of issue and one may only be able to use this licence for a limited period while in the country, eg, 3 or 6 months.

The document can be used as a form of ID, along with other genuine documents.

Normally issued by motoring organisations, AA and RAC etc.

Is it a proper International Driving Licence issued by the Thai Transport Authorities. Or is it one of the many fake ones being sold by Farangs in Bangkok?

If it is the latter, an insurance wont accept it

Firstly, obtaining an IDP for the UK is a total waste of time as it does not confer any rights to drive in the UK that one doesn't already have by holding a full Thai licence.

Secondly, when previously driving in the UK was it with a hire car and on their insurance, or was it in a private car? Hire car companies have insurance to cover all their customers, and obviously this will include visitors to the UK. If she was driving a private car, for example yours, under an any driver clause, then check the policy; you may find the small print says any driver means any driver who holds the appropriate GB licence.

Thirdly, it is up to an individual insurance company who they grant cover to. If company A wont cover an IDP holder then shop around and find one who will.

Fourthly, don't delay getting her a UK licence, some lessons and her test. Having a foreign licence does not mean that passing a test in the UK will be easy (sadly, many UK drivers if suddenly made to take their driving test again without any lessons would fail!). When I was an instructor I had many foreign pupils who would contact me after being in the UK for nearly 12 months only to be disappointed that even though we could fit in as many lessons as they needed, the waiting time for tests meant they couldn't get one until after their 12 months was up!