Ever Had Your Portait Done At The Nb?

Ajarn

I'm interested in converting a few photographs to fairly large-sized canvas, maybe using one of the guys from the Night Bizzare to do the copying... Ideally, I'd like to use acrylic as a medium, but I'm open to whatever....

Before I go there and ask around, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has some real experience or knowledge of prices, so I know better where to bargain from... Size-wise, I'm thinking in the 40x60cm neighborhood.

Any recommendations for an artist would be appreciated, too.

I'll ask the wife tomorrow Ajarn.We had one done for my sister last year off a black and white photo.It was just fantastic.It was a 40 x 60 in charcoal.I could not believe the detail.They are clever buggers! :o

I'm interested in converting a few photographs to fairly large-sized canvas, maybe using one of the guys from the Night Bizzare to do the copying... Ideally, I'd like to use acrylic as a medium, but I'm open to whatever....

Before I go there and ask around, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has some real experience or knowledge of prices, so I know better where to bargain from... Size-wise, I'm thinking in the 40x60cm neighborhood.

I've had a few portraits done, mainly charcoal but a couple of oil on canvas too. The prices are pretty much set down at the night market so it's not something you really bargin with. I can recommend Sanguan Art. Sanguan is the main guy but he has about 6 other artists working for him. Your best bet is too walk around and find an artist whose work you like and go with him/her.

The prices for a 40cm x 60cm

Charcoal 1,800B

Pastel 2,500B

Oil 4,800B

Hope this helps you out Ajarn :o

Ps I do have "real" experience as I have my own website for portraits so I deal with the artists a lot!! :D

I asked the "rottie" She can remember the guy, but not his details.She did get a small discount though.Most of those guy's downstairs at the bizzare would be ok in her opinion ..for what it's worth. just check out their pervious work I suppose. :o

Thanks for the responses. The prices give me a good clue, it seems. But I don't buy the fixed-price concept among artists at the Bizzare. :D

Actually, the prices seem quite reasonable for most of the stuff I see for sale in the area, so maybe I'll be a pushover. :o

Where is Sanguan Art? My mobility is limited, so any clues to exact locale not obvious from the street would be appreciated.

Thanks for the responses. The prices give me a good clue, it seems. But I don't buy the fixed-price concept among artists at the Bizzare.  :D

Actually, the prices seem quite reasonable for most of the stuff I see for sale in the area, so maybe I'll be a pushover.  :o

Where is Sanguan Art? My mobility is limited, so any clues to exact locale not obvious from the street would be appreciated.

Ajarn,

They are in the basement area of the original night market building, don't know the name. It's the one with the Bangkok Bank on top and the Tourist Police kiosk in front. There are 3 sets of stairs that go down there. Take the middle set and and turn right at the bottom and it is on your right hand side. You should see the sign.

Hope this helps Ajarn

:D

Beanster1

Thanks for the responses. The prices give me a good clue, it seems. But I don't buy the fixed-price concept among artists at the Bizzare.  :D

Actually, the prices seem quite reasonable for most of the stuff I see for sale in the area, so maybe I'll be a pushover.  :o

Ajarn,

They are in the basement area of the original night market building, don't know the name. It's the one with the Bangkok Bank on top and the Tourist Police kiosk in front. There are 3 sets of stairs that go down there. Take the middle set and and turn right at the bottom and it is on your right hand side. You should see the sign.

Hope this helps Ajarn

:D

Beanster1

Thanks, sir, I know exactly where you're talking about now. :D

• 1 year later...
Does anyone have an update to this thread? I am looking for a talented artist to do a portrait in charcoal for me. Any recommendations are appreciated.

The guys are still down there but there seems to be more of them each month. Have a walk around and find one who has a style you like. A lot trot out carbon copies of photographs - eg the girl with yellow eyes who was photographed in National Geographic.

We sometimes take clients down there from the US. They get portraits of their kids done from photographs and we send them back to the US. Even had a couple of clients send photos from overseas here asking us to get them done for them.

Personally I think there is a little money making business to be made here. Advertise on the Net, people send a digital photograph of the family, pay by paypal, the artist does the portrait, post it back to the customer.

Probably wouldn't make a Shinawattra size fortune but could be a nice little earner

Hope this helps

Personally I think there is a little money making business to be made here. Advertise on the Net, people send a digital photograph of the family, pay by paypal, the artist does the portrait, post it back to the customer.

Probably wouldn't make a Shinawattra size fortune but could be a nice little earner

This is being done by at least five people that I know of from the Night Bizarre. There is a lot of competition in the field, not only using Thai artists, but many other places in South East Asia, South Asia and South America.

This is being done by at least five people that I know of from the Night Bizarre. There is a lot of competition in the field, not only using Thai artists, but many other places in South East Asia, South Asia and South America.

I am pretty sure you would be correct - out of interest do you have any preferred operators down there for portraits. I think our guy has gone walkabout, I went there last night looking for him with a client of ours and his spot looked abandoned. We just used someone else but am happy to take recommendations.

A less lucrative but very satisfying variation on this theme is to surprise friends and family in other parts of the world by having portraits of them and their families done here and sent to them as presents. I sent two families such portraits as Christmas presents last year, and they were thrilled. And if you want to take the fun a step further, as I did, you can tell them in advance that you are sending them a very special present, and what you would like them in turn to do is have someone take photos as they are opening them and send them to you, then take the photos back to the NB artist to show him (or her, I guess, but I have only ever dealt with or noticed hims there) how delighted and happy the recipients were. Really a lot of fun.

Here is my experience so far with one artist at the Night Bazaar... I looked at his work-in-progress along with his finished portraits. I was impressed enough that I gave him 50% of the price to commission him to do the portrait. I also provided him a good photograph that showed the subjects in great detail.

When I returned a few days later to pick up the finished piece I was very disappointed. The portrait he had done for me looked very amateurish and NOTHING like his current or previous work. I smiled and politely explained what I thought was lacking in the portrait. He took my critique in stride and then asked me to come back the next evening to pick up the portrait after he made corrections as per my suggestions.

The next evening was also a big disappointment. With aplogies I refused to take the portrait from him or pay the remainder of the commission. We parted with smiles however, I still do not have my portrait.

What I would like, if possible, is a reference. Possibly the name or contact info of a particular artist that you have found to be very good and gave you good results.

Edited by Rice_King

A lot trot out carbon copies of photographs - eg the girl with yellow eyes who was photographed in National Geographic.

They haven't changed that in years. That's got to be the most exploited girl in Chiang Mai.

Wonder what ever happened to her?

That's got to be the most exploited girl in Chiang Mai.

Her name is Sharbat Gula and from the looks of it, life hasn't been real good to her.

zm_zoomin.0.1.jpg

Reading her story it shows that life has not been good to her. Sadly she is not alone, in '85 they were everywhere, same look but she had unusual eyes for an afghan so got her picture taken.

I was thinking about exploited photographs and was trying to remember the name of the girl who is in almost every barber shop and beauty salon in the north. She is about 16 years old, wearing a skirt and no top, holding a water container. I saw an article about her years ago and she was quite old now and never received any money from the photo.

CB

That's got to be the most exploited girl in Chiang Mai.

Her name is Sharbat Gula and from the looks of it, life hasn't been real good to her.

Cheers for the link. Good to know she's still alive. Tough woman for sure.

Tough race - I spent a couple of years up there with them, scary people in many ways. They fight to stay alive, they fight for fun, and they fight or die. What starts out as a minor incident can escalate in nanoseconds into full scale bloodshed. Dealing with a nation where they carry an AK47 or 74 to the market as personal protection is a worry. The kids don't play with toy guns they play with real ones. In the bazaar there are gun dealers who take up a whole section of the market dealing with anything from a chicom copy of a czech 9mm to rocket launchers and antiaircraft missiles. Buy three AK47s and get 10 extended magazines (40round capacity) free. Pay in US dollars and get a box of 1,000 rounds of ammo free.