Westerners With Amulets

canuckamuck

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mizzi, if you are going to lecture on economic regulation and the part education plays/does not play in personal economic development - please at least learn the difference between 'Sufficiency Economics' and 'laissez-faire'.

If you've reached adulthood without realizing that there are more reasons to get/keep a job than simply being well educated and good at it, and/or you are wandering around in life shocked that the world is not fair and coincidentally you just happen to be wearing amulets then my first observation in this thread seems to be being born out.

Then there are the rhetorical questions ... why do some people wear crosses? Some people wear crucifixes etc etc?

I know a few farangs wearing small Buddha's on a discrete gold chain.

They express their recognition of Buddhism over Christianism.

Buit I once had an overweighted German next to me on a plane to Zurich wearing a 5 baht gold chain with 5 Buddha images, still in shorts and a singlet heading into the January cold. He was German because I know a Swiss from an Austrian from a Gerrman when I hear one speaking German(or a Dutch trying to speak English whilst we are at it) I did not ask him why he was wearing 5 Buddha amulets nor anything else on the way to Zurich.

Then you have Thais wearing crucifixes, I wonder if they realize the cross was an instrument of torture?

See the katoeys on morning Thai TV wearing two huge crosses on his chest?

Fashion I think.

Do they have a clue? And the Thais wearing Nazi swastikas I sometimes see in town?

It seems like many "falangs' turn into "social missionaries" commenting on how ridiculous ones culture is after being here for such a short time (and unless you were born and raised here then yes you have only been here for a short time).It would be best to calm your heels, and let live. After all you are challenging a culture that long out lives you! And after "you" are long and gone the culture will still remain, so again, live and let live!!!

Amulets are not harming you, unless they some how poke you in the eye or do you some other bodily harm! :D if the wearer of an amulet (Thai or Falang) gives that wearer some solace and peace, or even if the wearer does not understand why they are even wearing it... so be it. No harm to you my friend! :)

Good night!

Hi Mizzi

I believe I understand what you are trying to say, but you are trying to stick a square peg in a round hole. Wearing an amulet is not a cure for the economic realities of average Thai citizens. And when I speak about hard work and good education I am saying that they are all going to have to work hard collectively to change things, but also that independently hard work is better than being lazy (and better than an amulet). And the people should develop a desire for good education, which is something that is not currently available to the majority of Thais. The degreed citizens you speak of never get ahead because their copy-and-paste educations didn't teach them how to think, how to predict an opportunity, or to do things in new ways.

I have no illusions that my statements will make any difference. The poor will stay poor, and the hi-so's will feather their own nests and make prideful and selfish errors to keep Thailand from being a good performer economically.

Are Amulets harmful? I place them in the same category of lottery tickets. One major difference though is the tickets sometimes work.

And once again we see the Thai apologist manifesto appearing in your statement, that unless I was born here I have no right to an opinion.

I guess that when I choose to live here I must have signed some sort of paper giving up my right to think for myself, I guess I forgot.

It is good to know that there are westerners here who have learned how to turn off their brain. Or perhaps no change was required.

I partly see your point OP. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and opinions are the building blocks of all forums.

"guesthouse" I am certainly not "preaching" about economics, since math is not my strong point, just calling it like i see it, no different than any other member who frequents this site. i certainly do not sit in a corner all day complaining about how unfair life is, i accept it as a reality and live with it without diluting myself in the process. :D

I am at work now, and plan on working hard today. With all this talk of westerners and amulets i actually decided to wear mine today. Maybe i am not feeling lucky, but it certainly feels cool against my hair chest Peace :)

Hello new poster here :)

I'm a Buddhist-Catholic (yes i'm confused) Singaporean, and i do wear a small one everyday. I rented it from a wat in Koh Chang, and wear it on a string that the monk there gave to me. I contemplated before getting one, fortunately there were a few local thais at the wat who spoke English and were so kind to explain the symbolism of the amulets to me. Different amulets have different "powers", such as Ganesh is for the arts and fame, and amulets of the other famous LPs offering protection from physical harm. Also, a lady there told me the usual dos and donts - take it off before you shower, pray to Buddha before you put it back on, do not walk under the extended arms of people and do not walk under bamboo poles (clothes lining).

Mine is of the image of the Buddha, and i asked the gentleman there what was inscribed onto the back of it, and what my amulet means. He told me simply and kindly, the meaning of the amulet doesnt matter. What matters is in your heart, what is in your mind.

Similar to yantrs (Thai Buddhist tattoos), i do not see the rules as draconian that must be obeyed at all costs, the if not something bad will happen to you kind of view. I also do not believe in its magical powers. Instead, i choose to take the deeper, underlying meaning of the rules - which is to respect your body, and to follow the 5 precepts. Also when i pray, i remain wholly aware that Buddha is not a God, that he does not grant wishes (unlike the Christian/Catholic God), and that we are the only ones in power of our own lives and karma.

Because they are kn*b heads and trying to show how "Thai" they are....LOL

Or because his girlfriend decided that he must wear it.

(A farang who transfers money every month has high value and need to be protected with an amulet)

I'm a Buddhist-Catholic (yes i'm confused) Singaporean, and i do wear a small one everyday. I rented it from a wat in Koh Chang, and wear it on a string that the monk there gave to me. I contemplated before getting one, fortunately there were a few local thais at the wat who spoke English and were so kind to explain the symbolism of the amulets to me. Different amulets have different "powers", such as Ganesh is for the arts and fame, and amulets of the other famous LPs offering protection from physical harm. Also, a lady there told me the usual dos and donts - take it off before you shower, pray to Buddha before you put it back on, do not walk under the extended arms of people and do not walk under bamboo poles (clothes lining).

Mine is of the image of the Buddha, and i asked the gentleman there what was inscribed onto the back of it, and what my amulet means. He told me simply and kindly, the meaning of the amulet doesnt matter. What matters is in your heart, what is in your mind.

Similar to yantrs (Thai Buddhist tattoos), i do not see the rules as draconian that must be obeyed at all costs, the if not something bad will happen to you kind of view. I also do not believe in its magical powers. Instead, i choose to take the deeper, underlying meaning of the rules - which is to respect your body, and to follow the 5 precepts. Also when i pray, i remain wholly aware that Buddha is not a God, that he does not grant wishes (unlike the Christian/Catholic God), and that we are the only ones in power of our own lives and karma.

Congrats on a great first post!

Congrats on a great first post!

Yes, that is a pretty good first post.  I hope you continue to post here.

I don't wear mine much but got it as a gift from a good friend.

Do you have something against them?

I don't have anything against them. I certainly wouldn't wear one though so I am trying to see the reasoning behind it. I don't think that the argument that it is a Buddhist thing holds up, I doubt the Dali Lama has got one. It certainly is a Thai thing though

His Holiness the Dalai Lama had given one to me..... :)

Different amulets have different "powers", such as Ganesh is for the arts and fame, and amulets of the other famous LPs offering protection from physical harm. Also, a lady there told me the usual dos and donts - take it off before you shower, pray to Buddha before you put it back on, do not walk under the extended arms of people and do not walk under bamboo poles (clothes lining).

Why would I pray to Buddha before putting on my Ganeshji, who is a Hindu Deity?

I think, if your a Expat here wearing the Amulets for whatever reason, don't bother to even explain beyond the simple "Because I like it." or "It was a gift from...." response because some people just hate and have nothing to offer but ridicule and negativity.

If you feel it, wear em, if not don't, simple as that. No sense in trying to explain faith to someone who doesn't want any.

a gentle reminnder that the topic is farangs wearing amulets; please refrain from name calling, and instigation of arguements about the existence of god, buddha and religioun in general in a derogotory fashion...

along the same lines of wearing 'religious' symbols or amulets and believeing in them, my son has refused very politely any string tieing ceremonies/or wearing 'blessed' strings/necklaces. he is religious jewish and while he thanked the thai guys for the gesture, he explained (well, i translated his explanaiton) that he is religious and therefore forbidden to wear symbols/false idols (no couldnt really translate that part) fo a religious that he doesnt believe in. the thais had no problem, told him 'mai ben rai' and that was that. my daughter enjoyed wearing hers, probably more for the 'ethnic/exotic' effect , and my husband didnt care whether my kids wore teh things for decorative purposes or not at all.

when he bought me the 'gee' (the little charm/amulet that hands on a small gold chain) i heard him tell the jeweler that 'she isnt buddhist, she's jewish, so it doesnt matter to her which LP icon is chosen.'...

actually, i have been buddhist since my young teens, and not a practicing jew ( apart from the cultural side, and the israeli side of things)but since iw asnt born thai buddhist, that was his understanding. however, he taught me the proper way of dealing with the two amulets we have, what is proper and what is not proper. but as far as he is concerned, he must behave the proper way. i can do what i want. meaning , he sees and acknowleges that the amulets are really symbolic and act as reminders, and not actually 'magical' in nature.

i will photo thme when i have a chance. i would love to see other peoples' amulets, etc... i think its fascinating, the whole subject.

bina

israel

I think, if your a Expat here wearing the Amulets for whatever reason, don't bother to even explain beyond the simple "Because I like it." or "It was a gift from...." response because some people just hate and have nothing to offer but ridicule and negativity.

If you feel it, wear em, if not don't, simple as that. No sense in trying to explain faith to someone who doesn't want any.

And that, succinctly put, is about the best advice given out here that I have read for awhile.

Different amulets have different "powers", such as Ganesh is for the arts and fame, and amulets of the other famous LPs offering protection from physical harm. Also, a lady there told me the usual dos and donts - take it off before you shower, pray to Buddha before you put it back on, do not walk under the extended arms of people and do not walk under bamboo poles (clothes lining).

Why would I pray to Buddha before putting on my Ganeshji, who is a Hindu Deity?

Thanks for the welcomes :)

Neeranam, sorry if i wasnt clear. I meant that that was the advice the lady personally gave me (since i have the amulet with Buddha's image), not meant to wholly encompass all. I wouldnt be surprised if different regions or wats or whathaveyou, have their own rules to keeping the amulet. I've read elsewhere that you shouldnt place the amulet on the floor (or near the feet), and that it should be taken off before sex. i would interpret it as a simple way of showing respect, but then again its all my own conjecture - like everything else i mentioned my original post. :D

sorry, maybe u misunderstood? my husband and i have two amulets that we wear: one is mine alone, on a necklace for a woman; the other is on a silver chain we both wear it, depending on mood etc...

no cross collision here; just that although i am buddhist in action and thought, i never had amulets or dealt with this stuff as anything more then anthropological interest. however, having a thai husband means that i had to learn how HE feels these things should be treated. for instance, in the past, many westerners have kept buddha statues as decorative items, or new age additions to their decor. in our house, the buddha statue is not new age decor. it is a functional piece that is used by husband (and i). the amulets, i had to learn how to deal with... not to leave them in the bathroom, not to drop them on the floor or fling them just anywhere at the end of the day. all the various and sundry amulets weve got from mother in law, et al , are all on high shelves in closet or on the shelf over our bed. as most thai do.

sorry, i dont believe there are supernatural powers in the amulets but they do remind me to think before speaking, stay calm and not to anger too quickly, equanimity, etc. they tend to give psychological 'hints' to husband as well, like wearing a four leaf clover to your final exam type of effect.

he also has sanyat tattoos, as does his father. but he knows that knives penetrate his skin :))

as for the 'hard penis': i have a photo somehwere of the amulet for that. but that is one we have no need for :D)

bina

israel

I think I should clarify this - When I see a Thai guy with a load of amulets strung all over himself - I usually think he's a fruit cake too.

If he's also got a huge bunch of keys hanging on a chain from is pocket and a 78 blade multi-purpose-workman-camper-DIY-special forces survival-boy scout knife on belt, I think to myself 'What kind of a nut job Farang would take that as a role model?!'

Those who seriously practise the Dhamma and do not indulge in overstatement, would comment that the wearing of massive or overly exaggerated numbers of amulet is "pram prua" (พร่ำเพรื่อ) meaning to overdo something or to repeat to the point of ridiculousness.

Although this may be true,we have to see that Thai people are not just Buddhists, rather have a great deal of Animist belief and Brahmin belief system built in. If the wearing of so many amulets makes the wearer feel happy or safe, then what is wrong with that?

reading the cynics on Thai Visa i always see people like to call others dipsticks and douches and god knows what or idiots and such. Personally i find that the people who like to insult are normally the ones with the weakest brains and the ones who never have anything useful or interesting to say at all. Maybe someone with 300 palad khik penis amulets around his waist may look a little silly in the eyes of someone who is not in that circle of collectors, but then that person with the mega amulet belt might see you wearing a cycling spandex pants with a soup bowl plastic helmet on and thin spindly legs and think you look stupid.. this person into cycling would then look at the long haired man with his fisherman pants on and think he looks like a bag of crap, who in turn looks at the 40 year old Japanese man on the Sukhumvit with short trousers, sandals and black ankle socks and thinks the same.. the Japanese man in short trousers and socks, then looks at the fat old balding drunken English man who is posing as a teacher and sitting in the beer bar with two 17 year old girls, and he thinks the guy is an idiot and probably a sex offender.. then Farang in the Thai style clothes speaking thai in the corner then looks ate them all and feels superios and thinks they are all a bunch of idiots and dont know anything about Thailand, the Thai on the street then looks at the Farang who knows Thailand and thinks "this Farang Roo Mak" (know it all) - he's an asshol_e.. etc.. and so it goes on from one cynical view to the next.

There are many reasons why someone might have a big chunky amulet round their neck, some of them being;

They like them and think they look cool

they think that Thais will be impressed when they wear one

It might be a point of entry and contact with the Thai people - maybe strike up a conversation

They might really believe in the amulet.

Someone may have given it to them

might be taking the mickey and being funny

If you can come here and eat fried rice, why don't we all say "who do these Farang think they are? they come and eat the local stuff? dont they know they are westerners? Why are they pretending to be Thai and eating this stuff? (because they like it of course.. which is why people wear chunky amulets too - different strokes for different folks.)

whats the difference between coming and putting on a sarong or an amulet, or eating the local food and wearing something thats thai?

Most of you will buy some clothes here and feel comfy in it but when you go home would never walk on the street in it, because the values are not the same.

Even me

I wear fisherman pants in the country or even pa kama (the cloth) around my waist

can you see me doing that going down to the pub in UK?

Live and let live and realise that we all look stupid in some other person's eyes. Its all a matter of conditioning.

Let them have their fun be it petty or valid.. its their life and their fun.

If you see someone with a certain taste in something and think they look ridiculous, just stop and try to see yourself in the eyes of another person for once, and you might realize that you may look just as ridiculous in some other person's eyes.

Edited by thailandfaq

There are a thousand reasons why someone might have a big chunky amulet round their neck, some of them being;

they think that thais will be impressed when they wear one

It might be a point of entry and contact with the Thai people - maybe strike up a conversation

souvenir

and.... quite possibly ..... Might be a fruit cake!

---

What did the Buddha say about putting one's faith in idols, superstitions and other people?

I think I should clarify this - When I see a Thai guy with a load of amulets strung all over himself - I usually think he's a fruit cake too.

If he's also got a huge bunch of keys hanging on a chain from is pocket and a 78 blade multi-purpose-workman-camper-DIY-special forces survival-boy scout knife on belt, I think to myself 'What kind of a nut job Farang would take that as a role model?!'

Those who seriously practise the Dhamma and do not indulge in overstatement, would comment that the wearing of massive or overly exaggerated numbers of amulet is "pram prua" (พร่ำเพรื่อ) meaning to overdo something or to repeat to the point of ridiculousness.

Although this may be true,we have to see that Thai people are not just Buddhists, rather have a great deal of Animist belief and Brahmin belief system built in. If the wearing of so many amulets makes the wearer feel happy or safe, then what is wrong with that?

reading the cynics on Thai Visa i always see people like to call others dipsticks and douches and god knows what or idiots and such. Personally i find that the people who like to insult are normally the ones with the weakest brains and the ones who never have anything useful or interesting to say at all. Maybe someone with 300 palad khik penis amulets around his waist may look a little silly in the eyes of someone who is not in that circle of collectors, but then that person with the mega amulet belt might see you wearing a cycling spandex pants with a soup bowl plastic helmet on and thin spindly legs and think you look stupid.. this person into cycling would then look at the long haired man with his fisherman pants on and think he looks like a bag of crap, who in turn looks at the 40 year old Japanese man on the Sukhumvit with short trousers, sandals and black ankle socks and thinks the same.. the Japanese man in short trousers and socks, then looks at the fat old balding drunken English man who is posing as a teacher and sitting in the beer bar with two 17 year old girls, and he thinks the guy is an idiot and probably a sex offender.. then Farang in the Thai style clothes speaking thai in the corner then looks ate them all and feels superios and thinks they are all a bunch of idiots and dont know anything about Thailand, the Thai on the street then looks at the Farang who knows Thailand and thinks "this Farang Roo Mak" (know it all) - he's an asshol_e.. etc.. and so it goes on from one cynical view to the next.

There are many reasons why someone might have a big chunky amulet round their neck, some of them being;

they think that Thais will be impressed when they wear one

If you can come here and eat fried rice, why don't we all say "who do these Farang think they are? they come and eat the local stuff? dont they know they are westerners? Why are they pretending to be Thai and eating this stuff? (because they like it of course.. which is why people wear chunky amulets too - different strokes for different folks.)

whats the difference between coming and putting on a sarong or an amulet, or eating the local food and wearing something thats thai?

Most of you will buy some clothes here and feel comfy in it but when you go home would never walk on the street in it, because the values are not the same.

Even me

I wear fisherman pants in the country or even pa kama (the cloth) around my waist

can you see me doing that going down to the pub in UK?

Live and let live and realise that we all look stupid in some other person's eyes. Its all a matter of conditioning.

Let them have their fun be it petty or valid.. its their life and their fun.

If you see someone with a certain taste in something and think they look ridiculous, just stop and try to see yourself in the eyes of another person for once, and you might realize that you may look just as ridiculous in some other person's eyes.

WOW! with only 30 posts thank you for making some sense (jig jing) :) As you know this post is already 6 pages long. Yes i invision many members and get some certain uncomfortable chill up my spine when I do. I am with you in the respect" Live and let live! :D "

lthough i am buddhist in action and thought, i never had amulets or dealt with this stuff as anything more then anthropological interest. however, having a thai husband means that i had to learn how HE feels these things should be treated. for instance, in the past, many westerners have kept buddha statues as decorative items, or new age additions to their decor. in our house, the buddha statue is not new age decor. it is a functional piece that is used by husband (and i). the amulets, i had to learn how to deal with... not to leave them in the bathroom, not to drop them on the floor or fling them just anywhere at the end of the day. all the various and sundry amulets weve got from mother in law, et al , are all on high shelves in closet or on the shelf over our bed. as most thai do.

Very nice example of why someone wears an amulet Bina, and of the benefits reaped from it too.

I like how you explain that despite not believing in the magical properties, that they still cause you to hesitate and think before making a Cultural transgression or breaking a tabu. This is the real reason why amulets were created.. Puttanussati (พุทธานสสติ) - a reminder to be mindful.Mindful of one's behaviour, and mindful of one's own heart, as well as (if you believe) a reminder of the Buddha and the Dhamma he taught.

It is very beneficial to be mindful.

I like this post you made.

Many of our aesthetic choices have some underlying symbolic value. I think most farangs wearing amulets are just trying to say they're members of the club.

It's a way of belonging, or feeling like you belong to some group of people. It's not so different from those who choose dead movie stars as their member avatars. Sure it's silly, but they want to identify with their heros even if they don't really understand or match up.

Edited by SpoliaOpima