Trailer Boats In Phuket

robinhoodlum

Hello,

Just got myself a trailer boat, little 6m 40hp fishing and day boat, and wanted to know what options there were for the east coast as well as west coast for getting a trailer boat into the water via a ramp.

I've done a little research and found that there is a ramp at the Yaht haven, Boat lagoon and Ao Po for Trailer boats, but does anyone know which is best, easiest etc. Also I've had many conflicting comments on price for using the ramp, ranging from 500 thb to 1500 thb.

Also am I right in understanding that there are no ramps on the west coast, except maybe pushing it over the beach in layan or Bang Tao somewhere, is this correct?

Also has anyone ever had any issues with Thai Islanders charging fees or anything like that for stopping on or around an Island, or can anyone recommend an Island that's possible to hang out on and around that doesn't upset anyone?

I think the Islands that are within reach are

Ko Rang Yai

ko khai nai

ko khai nok

ko nakka yai

ko nakha noi

can anyone point me in the right direction for the best, safest, kid friendly route to one of these or another Island that you'd recommend. If anyone can help I'd be grateful.

I would recommend Ao Po, as you can launch/recover at all but the very lowest low tide. Cost is 500 baht. They also have fuel available there. Good location for getting to the islands around Phang Nga bay, and try the islands around Koh Hong on the eastern side of Koh Yao Noi.

You have to be very careful of the tides, and don't get caught with no water beneath the keel (it can happen very quickly). I'd strongly recommend getting a decent GPS chart plotter, with one that shows depth also.

There are no fees for stopping at any beach, as all beaches are public property.

PM me if you want more specific information, I keep a trailer boat at Ao Po year round.

There are no fees for stopping at any beach, as all beaches are public property.

Yeah like public parking isnt only for tuktuks..

I know a few boat owners and users that have had problems Kata to Kamala.. So much so they only launch east coast now as its not worth the stress.

I know a few boat owners and users that have had problems Kata to Kamala.. So much so they only launch east coast now as its not worth the stress.

I agree, I wouldn't ever consider launching on the west coast, not that there is anywhere to launch in any case. Apart from anything else, there would be the inevitable problem of finding somewhere to park the car/trailer whilst you were out in the boat. There isn't anywhere to visit on the West coast also, apart from other beaches with overpricing and hawkers.

There are a couple of free ramps around (south end of Rawai, and Chalong), but you're really limited to a window of just a few hours at high tide to be able to launch and recover.

I would recommend Ao Po, as you can launch/recover at all but the very lowest low tide. Cost is 500 baht. They also have fuel available there. Good location for getting to the islands around Phang Nga bay, and try the islands around Koh Hong on the eastern side of Koh Yao Noi.

You have to be very careful of the tides, and don't get caught with no water beneath the keel (it can happen very quickly). I'd strongly recommend getting a decent GPS chart plotter, with one that shows depth also.

PM me if you want more specific information, I keep a trailer boat at Ao Po year round.

Hi and many thanks for the info, I'll send you a PM as I would be grateful for some more info on Ao Po, really need to get a good idea of whats going on, before I bring all the kids. Ideally it would be great to go with someone who knows that little patch so i can see the safest place and times to be there.

Yeah like public parking isnt only for tuktuks.. and getting punched in the face for parking in a tuk tuk "place"

Yes, it is a bit of a worry, farang guy with family in a boat no one around, two dudes rock up in a longtail, and tell me I owe them 2000 baht. I'm thinking a VHF radio even as I write this, but would that do any good anyway, its just a worry, not so much with a fishing posse, but a guy and his family makes these issues harder to deal with, and quite frankly a big risk unless I'm prepared to pay anyone who asks me for money, and even then, they would still ask for more???!

When I've been out on a day trip with a private Thai day trip boat, i see a few hundred baht change hands for stopping here and there, or a beach bar that has some chairs and a toilet, but what about the little Islands that no tourists go to on day trips. If anyone has had an experience going on their own to an small unoccupied Island that isn't Bond tourist Island then I'd appreciate them replying.

http://www.southeastasiapilot.com/

It is your best guide as well as GPS plotter with deep sounder.

Thanks for the advice, I have a depth sounder/fish finder and thought that would be enough, but you think its really that quick? I have the Phuket to Kantang chart, which although a little scant on depths (due to area covered) does give me a fairly good idea of depths, is that not enough, coupled with a fishfinder? would be interested to know your thoughts.

GPS plotters used to be expensive, have they come down a lot in price, can anyone recommend one that can be purchased in Thailand and includes the data for this area?

Yeah like public parking isnt only for tuktuks.. and getting punched in the face for parking in a tuk tuk "place"

Yes, it is a bit of a worry, farang guy with family in a boat no one around, two dudes rock up in a longtail, and tell me I owe them 2000 baht. I'm thinking a VHF radio even as I write this, but would that do any good anyway, its just a worry, not so much with a fishing posse, but a guy and his family makes these issues harder to deal with, and quite frankly a big risk unless I'm prepared to pay anyone who asks me for money, and even then, they would still ask for more???!

When I've been out on a day trip with a private Thai day trip boat, i see a few hundred baht change hands for stopping here and there, or a beach bar that has some chairs and a toilet, but what about the little Islands that no tourists go to on day trips. If anyone has had an experience going on their own to an small unoccupied Island that isn't Bond tourist Island then I'd appreciate them replying.

From what I understand it your not likely to get hassled at sea, its the launching and landing.. Its the 'we are locals and your not allowed to take our business'. Mates of mine every time he went to the boat they came and got heavy about "who are these people.. How long you know him.. you pay him??" etc with any friends they brought.. The fear being that your taking their trade away. But just making it all threatening and heavy handed.

I also heard of 'launching fees' to use jetskis and water craft and a guy who bought a long tail had a long list of horrors including lost (stolen) engine, paying to have it 'safe' and then being unable to access it.. Ended up sunk.. That was after agreeing to pay protection money. All in all just money flushed.

I know these were west coast things, but its friction like that I try to avoid in life here.. I guess the east coast may be totally different and more permissive, I know there seemed no friction at Ao Yon with the sailing moorings and dinghy club.

Thanks for the advice, I have a depth sounder/fish finder and thought that would be enough, but you think its really that quick? I have the Phuket to Kantang chart, which although a little scant on depths (due to area covered) does give me a fairly good idea of depths, is that not enough, coupled with a fishfinder? would be interested to know your thoughts.

GPS plotters used to be expensive, have they come down a lot in price, can anyone recommend one that can be purchased in Thailand and includes the data for this area?

Virtually all of the islands/eastern beaches will dry out at low tide, so you need to be constantly careful and vigilant when going ashore. A chart is only any good if coupled with GPS to give you actual location. A good chart plotter shows location, depth, and also previous tracks, which is handy if you get a sudden squall and visibility can come down to a few metres very quickly.

There are many GPS plotters available locally. I use a Northstar 650 Explorer, which has full coverage of the area. Many of the chandlers around the Boat Lagoon area stock them.

From what I understand it your not likely to get hassled at sea, its the launching and landing.. Its the 'we are locals and your not allowed to take our business'. Mates of mine every time he went to the boat they came and got heavy about "who are these people.. How long you know him.. you pay him??" etc with any friends they brought.. The fear being that your taking their trade away. But just making it all threatening and heavy handed.

I also heard of 'launching fees' to use jetskis and water craft and a guy who bought a long tail had a long list of horrors including lost (stolen) engine, paying to have it 'safe' and then being unable to access it.. Ended up sunk.. That was after agreeing to pay protection money. All in all just money flushed.

I know these were west coast things, but its friction like that I try to avoid in life here.. I guess the east coast may be totally different and more permissive, I know there seemed no friction at Ao Yon with the sailing moorings and dinghy club.

You won't get any hassle launching in Marinas that's for sure. As LOS says, if you're looking for a permanent mooring, Ao Yon is probably the best place as, along with Chalong Bay, it's the main farang anchorage for both sail and power. boats.

Sorry, I am not fully clear, did you describe the true story (about demand for 2000 bath) or this is a bad scenario in your mind?

I started boating around Phuket a year ago and during 10+ weekend trips there was no single occasion (I touch wood) when someone approached me for money just for stay near the beach/island. Oposite, I found fisherman and longtailman are mostly friendly or atleast polite (I did not challenge their business though). We were on our small private motorboat for a swim or overnight on most small islands in PhangNga bay, Krabi, PhiPhi or Racha last months.

I expect this demand for money might happen if you go on some islands belonging to a national park (Ko Hong group, Maya bay). In such case official 200bath fee applies per person and rangers might approach you when you step ashore (I would be happy to pay such legitimate fee but we were not approached by rangers as yet despite were around there many times).

A nice remote beach with bar (some on west coast) is different matter, as already discussed on various other threads and mentioned by LivinginLOS. If you have own fridge/icebox on board and you can swim off-shore, then this problem is easier;-)

I do suggest you to buy the Andaman Sea Pilot book I mentioned in above reference. It will make your initial boating life much eaasier and will add lots of knowledge about local area (as i look back into my first year).

You can survive without GPS chartplotter but it will be very stressful (which is probably last thing you need on a nice day out there). Pearing into a chart all the time is not really practical when you are on small open boat underway between islands. There are enough rocks and shallow areas to be missed. Area around AoPo is actually scattered with banks and rocks, so do watch out.

Frankly, I would not go out without GPS even now when I more less know the area around Phuket, Krabi and PhiPhi.

Hope this helps but pls PM me if you wish more advise.

Great info guys. I am interested in getting a ski boat/runabout as well.

The parking issue ended in the family beaten by umbrella pole, it was the fare scam that got the punches to the face. Your getting your "tuk tuks using violence against tourists" stories mixed up....I don't blame you, they are hard to keep track of. :)

Sorry, I am not fully clear, did you describe the true story (about demand for 2000 bath) or this is a bad scenario in your mind?

I started boating around Phuket a year ago and during 10+ weekend trips there was no single occasion (I touch wood) when someone approached me for money just for stay near the beach/island. Oposite, I found fisherman and longtailman are mostly friendly or atleast polite (I did not challenge their business though). We were on our small private motorboat for a swim or overnight on most small islands in PhangNga bay, Krabi, PhiPhi or Racha last months.

I expect this demand for money might happen if you go on some islands belonging to a national park (Ko Hong group, Maya bay). In such case official 200bath fee applies per person and rangers might approach you when you step ashore (I would be happy to pay such legitimate fee but we were not approached by rangers as yet despite were around there many times).

A nice remote beach with bar (some on west coast) is different matter, as already discussed on various other threads and mentioned by LivinginLOS. If you have own fridge/icebox on board and you can swim off-shore, then this problem is easier;-)

I do suggest you to buy the Andaman Sea Pilot book I mentioned in above reference. It will make your initial boating life much eaasier and will add lots of knowledge about local area (as i look back into my first year).

You can survive without GPS chartplotter but it will be very stressful (which is probably last thing you need on a nice day out there). Pearing into a chart all the time is not really practical when you are on small open boat underway between islands. There are enough rocks and shallow areas to be missed. Area around AoPo is actually scattered with banks and rocks, so do watch out.

Frankly, I would not go out without GPS even now when I more less know the area around Phuket, Krabi and PhiPhi.

Hope this helps but pls PM me if you wish more advise.

I concur with all these comments. Lot of things to consider, and of course foremost is safety. The Andaman Sea Pilot Book is a great tool for information on various anchorages and facilities, but it is foremost a planning tool, and shouldn't be used for real time navigation.

I think the comments about aggressive locals stems from people who perhaps beach hop the west coast, as on the infinitely preferable east coast, I've never experienced anything other than the usual politeness shown by fellow boat people the world over.

Good point about a well stocked coolbox (make sure there's plenty of water, as well as beer!). Another piece of advice, get to know your boat without being too optimistic, particularly on fuel usage and handling traits. Always ensure you have a full tank before you leave, and have a good handle of how many hours running that would give you. For longer trips, i.e. to Phi Phi or Ratcha, consider carrying some separate spare fuel, and an easy/effective method of getting it into your main fuel tank.

My most enjoyable days are spent on my boat, but you should always have a 'what if?' attitude, and plan/prepare as much as you possibly can.

I think the comments about aggressive locals stems from people who perhaps beach hop the west coast, as on the infinitely preferable east coast, I've never experienced anything other than the usual politeness shown by fellow boat people the world over.

Yes this is 100%.. Most of this friction thats been reported to me was on the prime west coast beaches and guys with smaller craft like RIBs or 'upgraded' longtails.. The friction was either a 'fee' to use the beach or fear that the farang was taking people out as a biz sideline.

Just curious.. What kind of trailer-able craft are we talking here ?? I would love to see what kind of toys you guys are rockin.. one of the great joys here has to be the ocean playground we have.

The parking issue ended in the family beaten by umbrella pole, it was the fare scam that got the punches to the face. Your getting your "tuk tuks using violence against tourists" stories mixed up....I don't blame you, they are hard to keep track of. :)

You're quite right, I do have the Tuk Tuk stories mixed up, the punch in the face was the Indian guy that didn't pay his agreed fare, and the parking space was a Norwegian family who parked in a tuk tuk space. It almost rhymes!

Sometimes I wonder if its best the Tuk Tuk guys come up with a side-street "menu" of what punishment they offer for each possible grievance against them!

No Pay Check Bin, then I hit you with beach umbrella or you not pay jet ski, I shoot you with BB gun!

Yes, its one of those "what if" situations that especially worries me when you have the missus and kids in tow. I don't know about other readers, but with the worsening situation economically, i notice in the news and hear of alot more crime against farang, in most cases not violent, just a greater increase in burglary, and other "opportunistic" crimes, like car breakins, bag snatching, motorbike holdups, I'm just thinking what about "boat hold ups"

I remember a while back before Christmas, farang were having an unusual amount of trouble with the Kamala checkpoint. The general sentiment was that they were being targeted because of their car (ie. fortuner, or other type that would suggest wealth I guess) and having passports taken and held at ransom (some up to 50-60 thousand thb).

So to sum up, is it safe to be messing around on a boat, with your family? Or am I just a sitting duck :)

Also does everyone reading this have their boat registered with the authorities? And how did that go?

Thanks for your advice, and I will PM if I may, I am grateful for any knowledge on can get on this,before I grab that cooler full of bears, drop the kids and the missus on the beach and go fishing!!

So to sum up, is it safe to be messing around on a boat, with your family? Or am I just a sitting duck :)

Also does everyone reading this have their boat registered with the authorities? And how did that go?

Piracy is only going to happen onshore, not offshore Phuket!

Yes, I've been through boat registration and getting a boat licence, neither of which are particularly difficult (though the registration is best done by an agent).

I have been spending a bit of time on the water over the last few months having recently bought a 5m boat.

I have been launching at Ao Por, 535bt a time and have had no problems. The people at the marina are keen to help and very friendly. I have been able to launch and retrieve the boat at all stages of the tide altough the ramp may be a bit slippery at low water if you are only using a 2WD.

I havn't had any problems on the water apart from being chased off one of the bird nest islands by a sawn off shot gun toteing thai.

He was friendly about it though and just told us we weren't allowed to fish so close inshore, but would be okay further out. We just moved on and fished elsewhere. Any fishermen seem happy and give you a big wave upon passing.

I would recommend a gps, I have one and once you get a few k's away from your start point it could be difficult to find your way back even in good weather.

agree with all thats been said in here especially about the east coast being generally problem free.

one thing i can add though is that i use a ramp that few people know about.

it is in a thai boat yard about 2 km north of chalong pier accessaable thru a village not far from land and house. i only pay 100 baht per time and there is huge areas for parking and its a beautiful spot with big shady trees and nice beach etc. the owner is helpful and friendly and i have never in the past year or so of using it had any problems with security etc.

the problem as always is the tide,as chalong bay becomes a huge pile of mud at about 1.9 metres above low tide. i always use and carry with me the latest tide tables which i find pretty accurate. i also have one of those watches that gives you a tide graph.it is also pretty accuate.

if you go out on the incoming tide and come back as the tide is going out you can get about 5 hours total of boating time. if you miss that then you are stuck out there for another 5 or 6 hours!!

down chalong way there are many beautiful islands, beaches, bays, and snokelling spots that seem to have been 'forgotten' by the tourists. i can usually find a place where it is just me , not a soul in sight,in the areas around koh hi ,koh lon, koh aeo, koh mai thon,koh kai and even koh racha.all these are reachable within about 40 minutes max, some just 5 min away.

never been asked for money, some islands have a little hut restaurant on them so i usually buy a drink or something just to make it 'right' but quite often they will come out with a glass of ice water and not ask or even expect any money. it is a great area and even in high season seems pretty much unihabited if you look for the right areas.

i always approach any beach or bay slowly as quite often there are thai fisherman IN the water [no boat no buoys no signs at all]and i always give them a wide berth , or even go to another spot and dont disturb them at all. they usually wave, as do any long tails that i see out there on the way.

all the best for your boat trips.

agree with all thats been said in here especially about the east coast being generally problem free.

one thing i can add though is that i use a ramp that few people know about.

it is in a thai boat yard about 2 km north of chalong pier accessaable thru a village not far from land and house. i only pay 100 baht per time and there is huge areas for parking and its a beautiful spot with big shady trees and nice beach etc. the owner is helpful and friendly and i have never in the past year or so of using it had any problems with security etc.

the problem as always is the tide,as chalong bay becomes a huge pile of mud at about 1.9 metres above low tide. i always use and carry with me the latest tide tables which i find pretty accurate. i also have one of those watches that gives you a tide graph.it is also pretty accuate.

if you go out on the incoming tide and come back as the tide is going out you can get about 5 hours total of boating time. if you miss that then you are stuck out there for another 5 or 6 hours!!

down chalong way there are many beautiful islands, beaches, bays, and snokelling spots that seem to have been 'forgotten' by the tourists. i can usually find a place where it is just me , not a soul in sight,in the areas around koh hi ,koh lon, koh aeo, koh mai thon,koh kai and even koh racha.all these are reachable within about 40 minutes max, some just 5 min away.

never been asked for money, some islands have a little hut restaurant on them so i usually buy a drink or something just to make it 'right' but quite often they will come out with a glass of ice water and not ask or even expect any money. it is a great area and even in high season seems pretty much unihabited if you look for the right areas.

i always approach any beach or bay slowly as quite often there are thai fisherman IN the water [no boat no buoys no signs at all]and i always give them a wide berth , or even go to another spot and dont disturb them at all. they usually wave, as do any long tails that i see out there on the way.

all the best for your boat trips.

Good post, and glad you're enjoying the boating. Absolutely correct about the variety of places to go, though the traditional tourist destinations around Chalong (Coral Island for example), are best avoided. Sounds like you've got a good place to launch from, but as you rightly point out, you're limited to tide, both for launching and recovery. The advantage of the marinas, and in particular Ao Po, you can launch/recover at virtually any time. I typically aim to be in the water at 10 a.m., returning at 5 p.m. Tide doesn't really have any consideration, I only plan outings based on wind/wave height forecast. I use WindGuru (Google it), and it's usually pretty accurate.

yes i also have wind guru for sure!! the 'other side' of coral island is pretty quiet and, has some great snorkelling spots and a little restaurant in a little hidden bay. quite nice albeit a bit expensive. it is quite calm in low season too.all the best for your boating adventures